Format: Hardcover|Change

on 22 June 2012
I almost didn't buy this book, after reading some of the reviews. I am so glad I trusted my judgement and went ahead,I am absolutely thrilled with this book, I did feel initially (before receiving it) it was a bit pricey, but it is actually a very big book with a great deal of content.
For those wanting ABC instructions, this is perhaps not for you - India does give a great amount of detail about how to use natural dyes for eco printing etc, but it is a very loose format, you have to read each chapter in it's entireity, and the little nuggets of instructional info are tucked between lovely stories from the authors past and present, relating to her experiences of dyeing. Her techniques are quite new and it is worth delving in, just to get an insight into this woman's incredible and effective methods of using natural dyes.

I cannot understand the reviews from others that complain she describes using leaves and flowers not available in their home territory... The whole point of this book, is that you are supposed to use what nature offers you in YOUR area, this is not a dictionary of suitable plants for dyeing. Instead it encourages you to experiment and really this is the most thrilling part about natural dyeing. If you want something more concise that details all known plant dyes and the colours you are likely to achieve from them, try "A Dyers Handbook" by Jenny Dean. I have this book to, and whilst it is very informative, it is not nearly as inspiring as the India Flint book, the two go nicely together. India Flint's book focusses on techniques for eco printing and ideas which you can expand on, whilst Jenny Colgans has all the scientific and technical terms.

I really enjoyed the loose format and could not put the book down, it was also really interesting to learn (from this book) about synthetic dyes, how they are created and their impact on the environment. All in all, I would recommend it highly, it ticks all the boxes, useful info, inspiring images (worth it for the eye candy alone!) and beautifully written.
on 14 April 2011
I attended a lecture given by a young enthusiastic textile student who was concerned about the environment
and the chemicals that we throw away, she recommended this book as it encourages the use of plant materials
instead of dyes. The illustrations are just wonderful, leaving one with the desire to achieve such fabulous effects
oneself. The beauty of the book for me though, was the extensive information about plants and their uses, a book that I can dip into again and again, as well as being a super instruction book to have handy all the year round when I am in a creative mood.
on 9 February 2012
I bought this book after leafing through a copy a friend had. I shouldn't really have bought ANOTHER book, but it looked so interesting - and it is. ALthough I am a bit allergic to 'coffee table' sized books this proved the exception. Its full of useful info on natural dyeing, plants to use, their preparation and end uses. She also gives lots of information on preparing fabric and fibres for dyeing and printing in eco ways, and what effects the mordants can have. Masses of illustrations. The main drawback is that she is Australian, and so many of the plants she uses are indigenous to the Antipodes which means they are not really relevant to European dyers. THere are also plently of other plants discussed so don't let that put you off, its just important to realise that if you want to buy the book. I am not to keen on the 'eco' dyed and printed T shirts etc India Flint produces with the dyeing, but thats personal taste and the point of buying the book is to experiment myself, not copy her products.
I also bought Jenny Dean's Dyers Handbook, (in Flint's bibliography) which solves the problem of the Australian plants, and with these two I feel ready to get dyeing.
on 8 January 2015
This is a beautiful book just to look at. I love the little beige paper 'shawl' which enwraps the hard cover - an apt metaphor and which doubles as a bookmark. The interior is as gorgeous as the cover as every page is illustrated and usually in more than one way. This is the first book I've bought on the subject of 'eco printing' (the dyeing of papers and textiles using natural found or cultivated organic matter.) The contents do not disappoint. The book begins with a prologue which outlines what the book is for; then follow eight parts, beginning with 'Before you Begin' and ending with 'References'. In between is an encyclopaedic range of information and technique, imparted in the author's engaging style. A complete beginner, I was yet able to produce some of my own eco prints within a week of my purchase of the book. (Some are posted on my website/blog). Tomorrow I am going to attempt another batch of prints using the author's (India Flint) 'Ice Flower' technique and I will be experimenting with two of the listed 'mordants': alum and vinegar. (I could have gone for fermented urine, or 'cow pats' but will save these for another time! This book is a must have for the would-be and the experienced 'eco printer'. I shall be forever delving into this lovely tome.
on 5 October 2012
All about Dyeing with natural and safe flora or fauna material; I love this book, I have read it cover to cover about 3 times. It is a great mix of chemistry knowledge, an artistic eye and a fascination with colour. It does talk alot about eucalyptus leaves which I have no access to, but the techniques can be used with any plants, and it does encourage you to experiment which is really what I wanted to do. It has good links at the back and references to follow up for more info. The photos are beautiful. Very inspirational.
on 24 April 2013
What a lovely book. It is full of ideas and artistic inspiration. I work with textiles but have never quite had the nerve to risk dying with plants before but I am already busily pressing flowers between different fabrics in the garden and the book only arrived a few days ago. I cant wait for the plants in my garden to grow this summer so I can do more!
it does have some instructions and information about methods of preparing fabric for dyeing in tables which are quite wel laid out. there is a little to-ing and fro-ing ( if they are real words!) in the book to extract it all but not too difficult to find.
one previous reviewer suggested getting the Jenny Dean book too so I did, but as that only arrived today I haven't had a good look at that yet.
After flowers I'm going to try rust.....
on 6 September 2011
This book arrived at 3pm and by bedtime I had carrot tops soaking in a bowl and plans for freezing Elderberries in the morning.
I love the layout and photos This is my kind of book.
Rather than describe recipes in detail It encourages experimentation, I can't wait to get started.
Thank you India Flint for the inspiration.
on 26 December 2013
This is an inspirational book for those who love the look of natural colours, muted tones, and the serendipity of results. Not for the dyer who wants repeatable designs or bright gaudy colours.
Excellent details on how to do it and what to use. Wonderful illustrations and text. Some pages were a little difficult to read because of the use of background detail behind the written word. Highly recommended.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 22 November 2010
This is a very special dye book- it's not a book of quick recipes, it's a way of life. It has beautiful imagery but it's more than just a coffee book. Instead of the recipes we have become accustomed to in other dye books, this book is trying to teach a way of life, so that you learn and experiment and understand the methods and principles of dyeing. The eco prints are beautiful, almost ethereal. India Flint's whole philosophy is sound - too much dyeing relies on chemicals that are then washed down the drain harming animals and the environment. Whilst there are some basic materials used that are indigenous to Australia, there are others that are easy to obtain such as Isatis tinctoria and rose petals, even Eucalyptus is becoming more readily available and some are easy to grow here too. This review first appeared on Karen Platt's book review website.
on 26 April 2012
This is such a lovely book and I am sure it was a labour of love for the writer. I like the way that she shares information, including technical information, without mystifying the processes and methods involved. Her homepsun approach makes natural dyeing techniques feel accessible to anyone who wants to experiment, play and explore. For those who want to take it more seriously there is plenty of un depth information to develop knowledge and skills further. India Flint has a great respect for her materials,for the environment and for her readers too, who she assumes will have their own creative ideas and approaches. This is a serious, playful, inspired and inspriring book about how to source colour from easily accessible natural materials. A unique book by a unique artist.