4.0 out of 5 stars No photos but great recipes.
Published on 22 Feb 2012 by hanleaf

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't really catch the imagination
I bought this book along with Nosh for Students to give to my daughter when she went to university. Somehow this book came a definate second best.
There is lots of interesting, and useful, information at the beginning of the book but it is the recipes that are the most important in a cook book.
The variety is very good but there is not as much description as the...
Published on 13 Sep 2011 by Janie U

4.0 out of 5 stars No photos but great recipes., 22 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Really Useful Ultimate Student Cookbook (Paperback)
The recipes in this are great but are probably not entirely new-to-cooking-student friendly. Having bought another student cookbook (nosh for students) you can really see the differences in the recipes and ingredients they use. Just by looking at the ingredients, it's noticeable that these will cost a bit more and it would've been better for them to include a rough estimate of the costs like I've seen in other student cookbooks. You'd think that they'd realise that students won't be using fresh herbs but apparently not.

It's great that the recipes are varied and that everything is grouped together into different sections. Meaning, there's a potato, pasta, vegetable etc sections so you can go straight to what you fancy and work from there as opposed to the standards of starter, main course, dessert.

However, there are no photographs whatsoever. If a picture is worth a thousand words, why not include some? Especially considering there are random and entirely pointless illustrations scattered throughout.

The information at the start of the book is very useful for new students including information about food safety (defrosting!) and handy ingredients and equipment to keep in the cupboard. Though saying a fish slice is an essential but a measuring jug or vegetable peeler isn't? I don't even know what a fish slice is but I know that both my vegetable peeler and measuring jug are worth investing in! It also has information about things like cooking rice and different types of that particular food at the beginning of each section, something that's really handy to have written down when you're starting off.

Over all, I think it's great if you're not bothered about the lack of photos and have a bit of cooking ability. Perhaps I've been a bit harsh on the recipes but if you do want a cookbook that's a lot easier, I'd recommend Nosh for Students. This however, is perfect for me and will be getting a lot of use out of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Buy for Student, 7 Oct 2007
This review is from: The Really Useful Ultimate Student Cookbook (Paperback)
Just purchased this book for my daughter who has just started uni. Although still living at home she has taken a sudden interest in cooking making me loads of luvverly dishes. The book is well laid out with easy instructions and the recipes are full of healthy ingredients which are easily accessed. I love the twist at the end of the book on how to make a banana sandwich!! I now know that when my daughter does move into accommodation she will be able to be self sufficient without pigging out on takeaways. Excellent stocking filler for all students

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy healthy meals on a budget!, 4 Aug 2008
Amy Entwistle (Warwick, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Really Useful Ultimate Student Cookbook (Paperback)
I got a copy of this book in the old cover style and it has definitely been a lifesaver.

All the recipes are easy, you don't need any fancy equipment and the dishes range from incredibly cheap to something to splash out on (Like the vodka chili!!) although the majority of them will definitely not break the bank.

Although it is a student cookbook I'd recommend it to anyone as some meals are impressive enough to serve to guests, but it also has fun family meals as well. All quantities are for 2 people so easy to divide or multiply up as well. I also like the snacks and standbys section at the end which has great lunchtime recipes.

This book was written by combining the Student cookbook and the Vegetarian student cookbook, so there are a lot of vegetarian recipes and a fair amount of recipes which are adaptable for vegetarians and non vegetarians. I found a few old favourite recipes in here but the grand majority are new dishes I'd never tried before and that made it fun as well.

Another thing I like about the book is each recipe is rated on how long it takes to cook and prepare, which is useful if you are starving. And the instructions are simple and concise so you don't get put off, without being patronising.

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't really catch the imagination, 13 Sep 2011
Janie U (Kings Cliffe, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Really Useful Ultimate Student Cookbook (Paperback)
The variety is very good but there is not as much description as the other book so this has been left on the shelf for the time being.
I it is OK though so I think she will pick it up again in a few months when the other book has lost it's initial attraction.

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy, 11 Jan 2011
C. Underwood (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Really Useful Ultimate Student Cookbook (Paperback)
I wasn't sure whether or not to buy this book because some of the bad reviews said the recipies were more for a dinner party idea. I really don't agree, I bought the book because of the price really but I'm glad I did. There are some fantastic ideas in there and I can't wait to try them out!! I've been after a recipe for Leek and Potato soup for ages, and now I've found one :-) along with plenty of ideas of what to do with pasta! (being a student, I eat plenty of pasta ;-) )

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for everyone, 20 Aug 2010
This review is from: The Really Useful Ultimate Student Cookbook (Paperback)
I was given the original version of this book when I went to University over 15 years ago and I still use it almost every week! It doesn't appear to have changed much and I'm still finding new favourites in it. I'm just looking up the new version for a friend and am now sincerely tempted to buy it. What a bargain.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good and Simple, 10 April 2009
J. Y. Whitehead (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Really Useful Ultimate Student Cookbook (Paperback)
This is a really handy little book for inexperienced cooks, it's got a lot of really simple mealsto help anyone get by. The recipes are quite simplistic but you can always expand them to make them more exciting

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 2 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Really Useful Ultimate Student Cookbook (Paperback)
I was given this when I moved to uni in 2008 and I used it all he time, I even still use it today! Full of quick and simple ideas that are really filling and different. There are a few things in there that are a bit of an insult and shouldn't really be in a cook book but on the whole, it's fab. Perfect present and I'm sure I'll use it for years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Really Useful!, 20 Sep 2010
This review is from: The Really Useful Ultimate Student Cookbook (Paperback)
Bought as a gift for a young man with limited cooking skills. The recipes look like a good mix for all abilities, from a simple banana sandwich to more exciting meals like cajun gumbo - and there's loads for vegetarians! Great info on shopping, preparation and food hygiene. He was delighted with it - let's just hope he doesn't burn down the halls!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Recipes, 6 Aug 2009
This review is from: The Really Useful Ultimate Student Cookbook (Paperback)
Brilliant recipes for the student or the first time cook. The Pasta Fagoli recipe is particularly delicious.

Simple cooking, small lists of ingrediants required. Highly recommended.

The Really Useful Ultimate Student Cookbook
The Really Useful Ultimate Student Cookbook by Silvana Franco (Paperback - 15 Sep 2007)