5.0 out of 5 stars Fully re-researched and re-written
Published on 17 Mar. 2011 by Mark

We visited Belgium and Luxembourg in July 2013, and I'm afraid I agree with one of the other reviewers that the book is horribly out of date (even taking into account the three years since the latest edition). Overall I feel I would have done better with a more up to date guidebook.

We visited Waterloo, and could not either hire a bicycle as advised or take...
Published 18 months ago by Joanna F

5.0 out of 5 stars Fully re-researched and re-written, 17 Mar. 2011
As the author I naturally leave others to comment on the overall qualities of this book. However, I feel obliged to reply to the previous reviewer's comments that this guidebook was based on old or internet based reviews and that little had changed from previous editions. I can only assume that the reviewer was referring to an older edition. The current (4th) edition has been very thoroughly re-written and re-researched to a degree that is far beyond what is common in any normal guidebook update. Most significantly perhaps, the 4th edition goes out of its way to introduce dozens of intriguing smaller destinations that had been previously overlooked by guidebooks altogether (eg Marienbourg, Philippeville, Aarschot, Thuin, Gembloux, Spiennes, Aubechies, Ellezelles, Enghien, Sint-Truiden, Tienen, Hoegaarden, Turnhout, Hoogstraaten, Westmalle, Geraardsbergen, Reinhardtstein, Comines, Crupet, Lavaux-Ste-Anne, Semois Valley, Seraing, Remouchamps etc etc).
There was no earthly reason for me to recycle internet reviews given that I visited everywhere covered (the research took about half a year in-country) and the reviewer's assertion that reviews are out of date is particularly surprising. While I did retain some hotels and restaurants that had been reviewed in the past and that I felt were still good choices, reviews for such places were often entirely reworked. Meanwhile a large percentage of bars and restaurants were reviewed for the first time and several places that I included had only opened during 2009 (such as the Herge Museum in Louvain-la-Neuve, Hotel Verviers in Verviers and Chateau de la Poste hotel near Crupet). Again, I suspect that the reviewer was talking about the 3rd edition and, if not, I would be interested to hear which specific reviews were considered to be out of date at the time of publication (inevitably many other places have changed in the year since the book was researched).

I would also point out that a large proportion of the more mainstream coverage had been carefully re-thought to make it more practical, and that most of the maps have been re-drawn from scratch based on aerial imagery with laborious on-the-ground checks (ie me walking the streets). All in all, this is certainly NOT a half hearted update of previous editions as should be very quickly apparent if you put the third and fourth editions side by side.

1.0 out of 5 stars Looks good, but when you try to use it it's difficult and the information is out of date...., 3 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Lonely Planet Belgium & Luxembourg (Travel Guide) (Paperback)

We visited Waterloo, and could not either hire a bicycle as advised or take the suggested jeep tour, as apparently neither option had been available for several years. Also, it wasn't clear that public transport was not readily available on a Sunday.

The maps of Brussels are almost impossible to use - the sites have been numbered alphabetically on the list, rather than numerically in order on the map itself, and it's really difficult to see at a glance where you are or where you want to go. The Underground map of Brussels was in black and white (!) and wasn't where I'd expected it (i.e. at the front or end), so it took me a long time to find, hidden away on p75.

We also visited Luxembourg, and the book confused us when we wanted to take the hop on hop off bus, as said to take a local bus further into town from the station first, even though the hop on hop off actually stops at the station!

The index was pretty poor and, in my opinion somewhat surprisingly, the impressive EU buildings are barely mentioned, despite Brussels being the centre of the majority of EU bureaucracy. The Belgians also seemed to be mad-keen on their Royal Family, but this is not flagged in the book, and I was really surprised at this.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money, 1 Feb. 2013
If you are considering buying this (or presumably any other kindle versions of lonely planet guides)
, I would recommend that you don't waste your money. I would buy a hard copy and at least get a chance to see what was in it first. Not impressed at all. Little information. No photos. They are taking the Micky by charging this much for it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for general information but hard to follow, 19 Nov. 2014
This guide is fine for background country and city information, but I found it very difficult to follow at a city level. The guide relies on multiple maps and it is often hard to trace back to a map a listed site of interest. I found it much easier to ask for a tourist information map from my hotel reception and the staff there were happy to highlight the places of interest for me (some of which I was aware of from reading this guide).

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful guide, 28 Sept. 2013
Only used for Bruges but gave a good summary of the city's attractions. One factual error we spotted - we spent ages walking to a restaurant which no longer exists.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good Lonely Planet product, 26 July 2013
It was as useful as I expect a Lonely Planet guide to be. It served its purpose well and I used its recommendations to my advantage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 24 April 2013
P. Robinson (UK) - See all my reviews
We are visiting the Waloon region of Belgium and the book supplies some very interesting information on the area. It is very well written and illustrated giving a wealth of information on hotels, prices, where to eat and what is worth visiting. All in all a very good purchase and obviously includes other areas with the same sort of very good information.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have!, 4 Aug. 2012
I never go anywhere without a lonely planet in my bag.
I only went to Brussels but there was enough in the book to get me around and find some good places to eat.

4.0 out of 5 stars belgium & luxembourg, 6 Oct. 2014
comprehensive for countries we knew little about, eg traditions,politics,villages, towns etc. Had a good time visiting the many villages in the Ardennes with the help of the guide.

3.0 out of 5 stars While the content is fine it is not easy to navigate around, 26 Nov. 2014
While the content is fine it is not easy to navigate around. While I an a great kindle supporter/user, I would by far prefer to have this is a standard book format.

Lonely Planet Belgium & Luxembourg (Travel Guide)
Lonely Planet Belgium & Luxembourg (Travel Guide) by Helena Smith (Paperback - 1 May 2013)