4.0 out of 5 stars Good for general research but not detail
I am a big LP fan (I definitely prefer them to Rough Guides) and this book is up to LP standards. AS with other LP multi-country guides (e.g. Guide to the Middle East) this book is great for starting off your country by country research, giving you an idea of the key places to visit, guide to costs, travel times/distances etc. I won't, however, be using this guide to...
Published on 24 Feb 2012 by Book Worm

1.0 out of 5 stars Is this a joke?
What an apalling buy! Kindle edition is just terrible. It looks as if somebody scanned the pages of the real book - and did an awful job! The tables are cut in half (with the second half missing) - so don't count on gaining any information about timetables, distances, etc, etc. It's hard to navigate the guide as well - you always have to start from the beginning to find...
Published 23 months ago by K. Drazewska

2.0 out of 5 stars not recommended - very uneven, 3 Jan 2014
This review is from: Lonely Planet Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos & Northern Thailand (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
The main issue with this guide is that entries on each country (Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia and N Thailand) are written by different people. This means that the book is very uneven in term of information it provides and for this reason cannot be used as a guide for all four countries. For example, whereas the section on Vietnam is informative and well put together the section on Laos is very disappointing in the level of detail it offers and is just really badly written. Disappointing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Book Review, 27 Dec 2013
V. Hennigan - See all my reviews
Does the job and is informative. Would have liked more pictures though but you know what your getting with a Lonely Planet book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought for a friend traveling, 2 Dec 2013
Great book, this will be of huge guidance to my friend who is traveling, who I purchased this for. An excellent book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Roll in December 2014, 20 Nov 2013
Tom (Rochester) - See all my reviews
Found this book to be very useful to plan our trip next December, and will use as a reference book to high light the places we wish to visit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy now !, 31 Oct 2013
We are touring Vietnam Cambodia and Laos in December and bought this on my kindle at first but could get along with it as I needed to be able to flick through ! as usual Lonely planet never fails to meet expectations full of all the information we need to prepare for our trip

2.0 out of 5 stars Does not work on kindle, 6 Jun 2013
I now have paperback and kindle copies of this guide as the kindle version is useless. The makers have the information in the guide (I can say that now as I have found it in paperback) however finding the relevant info is very tricky because of the bizarre way the kindle version is set out. No index, no overall contents page...... It's a joke. The paperback version on the other hand is useable although the maps are terrible (key information just off maps like bus stations - I mean not that backpackers user buses or anything right!?!). As a basic guide it is fine but it does skimp on history unlike other guide books, but as a basic how to the paperback is fine.

My advice.... Try another brand.

2.0 out of 5 stars found it difficult to navigate and search for the subjects i needed., 9 May 2013
easy to load onto my tablet in terms of delivery but found it difficult to navigate and search for the subjects i needed on my tablet. I bought it to use on my tablet whilst travelling but the hard copy book is much easier to find the reference needed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Buy, 5 April 2013
Caroline_Kate (West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
Great book, lots of handy info and tips with loads of activities/accomodation/food to chose with varying price range so accesible to all. Lots of reading but some stunning photographs.

I think it's a great way to start finding out about different places/cultures. It obviously doesn't go into huge detail, but if I had expected that the book would be huge and unreadable. Does what it sets out to do, informative and a greta buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars very useful, 28 Feb 2013
Very useful but a bit condensed with information. The itinerary suggested is for very young people as it looks a bit tiresome

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought for my daughter, 20 Jan 2013
I bought this as a present for my daughter who going travelling in Indo China. She assures me that it is perfect for what she wants, ie information on the main tourist sites, markets etc. However she is travelling as part of an organised tour so her needs are different from the solo traveller. I noticed that some reviewers complained that there wasn't enough information if you are travelling on your own and obviously can't comment on that.

Lonely Planet Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos & Northern Thailand (Travel Guide)
11.19