Despite having reservations about using an e-guidebook, this worked out very well on my phone (galaxy note II with the huge screen) rather than on my Kindle, where it suffered from the lack of colour illustrations and the maps were all but useless.
Published 19 months ago by Sassy Varmint

3.0 out of 5 stars some good pointers but limited coverage
Published 11 months ago by H. Pettifer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars very useful practical guide, full of good ideas and easy to use on my phone, 6 April 2013
One of the main benefits was being able to use the web links embedded in the text - within seconds of reading about the Kirstenbosch sunset concerts, I was on their website and booking a ticket.
The guide contained lots of excellent suggestions for groovy places to visit that were new to me despite being a regular visitor to Cape Town, and sitting in a cafe looking at where to go next on my phone made me feel less consipicuously like a tourist than looking through a paper guide book.
Dividing the book up by districts makes it very easy to go exploring for a day or afternoon.
It is also great that as it is all downloaded, there are no roaming charges involved with using it - and of course, it takes up no room in your suitcase.

3.0 out of 5 stars some good pointers but limited coverage, 28 Dec 2013
H. Pettifer (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lonely Planet Cape Town & the Garden Route (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
I know a book can't cover everything, but compared to some Lonely Planet guides, this seemed to have limited coverage and only short descriptions of key places. It's a good starting point but I recommend buying a nother guide/using the internet to get more details. We found some lovely places using this e.g. Silvermine but "can swim in the resevoir" turned out in real life to be "bring a picnic and make an afternoon of it - but there's no food on site".
Like other reviewers, I also found the coverage outside Cape Town to be limited. The brief history section is interesting.
The main thing for me which was missing, was more about general things in SA - there's no mention (that I've yet read) about the people who try to sell you things at red lights, or how much you should pay someone to "look after your car". I found both these made be feel uneasy, especially not knowing if I'd paid the right amount to ensure my car wouldn't be damaged - and do you pay first or after? I also disliked people trying to direct me through the airport, push my shopping, clean my shoes...no tips on how to deal with this!

2.0 out of 5 stars Title is misleading, 3 Nov 2012
The coverage of Cape Town appears to be excellent, however I cannot fully judge until I have visited Cape Town itself. One of my major motivations for buying this book is for the coverage pertaining to the second part of the title "and the Garden Route". The coverage contained in this book of this most beautiful part of the world is scant to say the least. It is treated more as a day trip section, hardly even a chapter in its own right. In the bookshop today, I scanned the content of a competitor edition who appear to provide much fuller coverage of the garden route including detailed maps (lp have earned a reputation for being sloppy with their maps). Thus, I will be looking to buy the coverage of the Garden Route from that competitor and downloading it to my kindle.
If the title of the book said, "Cape Town", then it would merit 4 stars. But as an avid Lonely Planet purchaser over the years, I am very disappointed with it's scant coverage of the Garden Route.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great guide!, 17 May 2014
Very practical and concise guide. covers all of capetown tours, from the city to the cape of good hope, the table mountain and the vineyards region.

4.0 out of 5 stars First trip to South Africa, 23 April 2014
Just what I was looking for answered all my questions gave me an insight to what I could expect, thankyou

4.0 out of 5 stars Planning for a holiday, 28 Mar 2014
We have been able to plan our visit in detail and to see as much of Cape Town in our short stay

4.0 out of 5 stars Travel guide, 28 Nov 2013
I have found the guide very useful as I try to plan a trip to S Africa. Hopefully the information will allow us to make the most of our holiday without having to spend a load of time researching several books, it has all been done for us apart from actually enjoying the visit.

2.0 out of 5 stars Maps totally incoherent, not a very good guide, 15 Nov 2013
Main gripe is about the maps, randomly scattered throughout guide and not well indexed or related to each other. Not an easy to use guide at all - very poorly put together and edited.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good starting point, 6 Nov 2013
Helpful and informative. Covers most of the things we wanted to know.
Particularly liked the 'things to do' if you are in `cape town for 4 days.
Good purchase

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 5 Nov 2013
The book is very informative and easy to use. There is comprehensive coverage of Cape Town and the surrounding area. Can't wait to go!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Lonely Planet Cape Town & the Garden Route (Travel Guide)
Lonely Planet Cape Town & the Garden Route (Travel Guide) by Lucy Corne (Paperback - 12 Oct 2012)