Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 April 2013
Great guide with lots of maps and tips, although I have always found that the rough guides have more detail. Saying that, this is my 4th lonely planet Thailand guide since 1996. It is easy to find information such as getting there and away and accomodation quickly. Just remember the prices quoted can be a few years old so use them only as a guide. This is the first time I have bought the e-book version which I'm finding a lot easier to carry around. After 20 years of adventure and travel and over hundred countries traveled to, I can now carry a whole libary in my backpack. Fantastic!
on 17 October 2013
I bought this book while in Thailand and I loved it. I had 4 weeks of unplanned time there and I use this book to plan and I got to see SO much that was off the beaten path.
The only criticism I do have is that some locals didn't know where I was talking about several times of locations listed in the book and I found it difficult to try to locate where exactly these places were....
That aside this was absolutely brilliant when I was there and I would recommend it time and time again.
on 16 November 2013
I have a 2005 11th edition and thought I would buy this up to date 14th edition. Mistake!

Very difficult to read the feint print now used, need a magnifying glass, do they save money on ink? The earlier editions were at least legible.

Characterless and bland compared to the 2005 edition, one dull and lifeless feint black and blue printed page following another with very little demarcation to help find the info you want quickly, not that its there anymore! No more glossy pics which helped enliven the earlier guides.

As an example I looked up Krabi Town. In 2005 edition there were 13 places listed for Sleeping, now there are a mere 3!!
In 2005 there were 14 places listed for Eating, now a mere 3 which are an Italian Restaurant, a Night Market and a Day Market. Brilliant.
Krabi is a big town, over 27,000 population!

Then there's Samui. Lamai beach 2005 Edition there were 25 choices for Sleeping, 2012 just 9 of which the Top Choice is Rocky Resort a snip at £100 to £340 per night for a double room and during the quieter months the prices are a 'steal' , looking on their website the steal price is now £130 per night and upwards to £350 and that's in the off season! Of course the prices are out of date anyway and in the peak season it's £165 to £465 a night, so the £100 room in 2012 or time of printing the guide is now £165.

It's also said to be the best place to eat in Lamai being one of the three places listed the other two being Markets. Rocky resort is #1 on Tripadvisor, maybe the LP writers stay in an office and look up the Internet for recommendations these days whilst simultaneously deleting most of the previous listings which were er actually usefull. Who's going to stay at Rocky Resort that needs a guide book?! At those prices? A LP executive maybe!

What's happened to Lonely Planet? Cost cutting rationalisation cloaked as improvement?

About the same number of pages in each of my editions so I can't work out where the emphasis and content has changed yet.

I'm very disappointed and feel I've wasted my money on an inferior book. I will continue to use my 2005 edition and check out the Internet for updates and verification.

RRP of my 2005 11th edition was £15.99.

RRP of my 2012 14th edition £17.99.

RIP Lonely Planet Thailand 2013 it was good knowing you.

Quick addendum. Just taken out the enclosed map of central bangkok, nothing east of sukhumvit soi4 so limited use. Again the print is very feint. I looked for The Democracy Monument a major landmark - its not annotated, zilch ! Its in grid square E5 look on Google Maps. Never mind I will write it in myself. Nice and light in weight but not as good as any free tourist glossy capital wide map you can pick up anywhere.
There's a Phuket map on the reverse. Going to Phuket Town? It's not there! Actually it is Grid Square E6 but you would need to look at another decent map to find it annotated/written in. Schoolboy errors from the once reputable Lonely Planet.

Sooner or later the goodwill of LPs past success will run out if this guide book and 'map' is anything to go by. It's a shame.

Just realised the BBC took over LP a few years ago under whose direction this inferior guide was produced. Now a US based company NC2 has bought it and have said they are going to use less authors on the ground and rely more on social media and other digital sources so..........in other words staring at computer screens and doing online research, replace the scruffy backpacker with the computer geek/researcher who may never leave his desk let alone the country.

HANG ON TO YOUR OLD HARDCOPY LONELY PLANETS AND UPDATE THEM YOURSELF ON TRIPADVISOR because I can't see the guides improving now.
on 9 January 2014
Detailed and informative! Quite a thick heavy book though. It has some detailed maps and loads of information on Thailand
on 10 December 2012
I bought three of this type of book for our honeymoon to Thailand. Lots of information and pretty helpful. Only disappointment was that it didn't cover Krabi as I'd hoped, but then none of the three Lonely Planet guides did as they suggested. Only one book has a couple of sentences stating its beauty, which although that is nice, it's not helpful. Would still recommend the book though.
on 24 July 2013
The Kindle version of this guide suffers from formatting so bad as to make it unusable.

It's nigh-on impossible to use as a travel guide because the destinations/regions are not listed in the contents page and most damningly, you cannot perform a search of the book.

Do NOT buy the Kindle version.
on 11 August 2014
This was not very useful for me since all the information contained in it was already online on TripAdvisor etc, there were also much more useful hotel reviews online and a lot more information about specific areas and activities. I ended up leaving this at home rather than carrying this around.
on 9 January 2013
Just back from 2 weeks in Thailand and this book was an invaluable tool for a firt time lone traveller there. I would have missed so much if I hadn't done my analysis with this book first. The sections on Bangkok are great plus there is a separate pull out map which was never out of my hand. Tips on which Skytrain station to get off for canal rides into the City were spot on and better than most locals' knowledge.
Advice on other areas such as Pattaya [don't both] were correct, but I still had to go there just to check myself.
On other areas of Thailand the book is equally as good. Getting to Chaing Mai by plane from Dong M? airport with various providers again spot on, as was advice on 3 day jungle treks [what do you do at night, and what if you don't like your travel companions?] all good advice. I opted for a day trip, much better.
Only criticism, the prices quoted for goods and services are way too low!!! If you are budgeting do NOT rely on the prices shown as inflation has defiitely hit everything from food to air travel and accommodation cost.
on 2 January 2013
I've always liked the Lonely Planet guidebooks so I approached this review with a sense of bias. I have to say that this one didn't disappoint. We used it when visiting Thailand for 2 weeks in October 2012 and it was easily the most useful think we brought with us.
on 9 May 2013
I bought this for my trip to Thailand and found it very useful, on the down side it is quite heavy to carry around but then if it was smaller I wouldn't have been able to read it! It gave me good info prior to my trip and I also referred to it asi traveled around.