5.0 out of 5 stars Very detailed, very easy to read.
Thick book, lots of interesting information I did not find through a lot of internet research.
Include pull out detailed Bangkok map.
Published on 10 July 2012 by john

1.0 out of 5 stars Farewell to Lonely Planet
Published on 2 Jun. 2013 by John

5.0 out of 5 stars Very detailed, very easy to read., 10 July 2012
This review is from: Lonely Planet Thailand (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
Include pull out detailed Bangkok map.

1.0 out of 5 stars Farewell to Lonely Planet, 2 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Lonely Planet Thailand (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
Extremely bulky and cumbersome, badly organised with no proper cross referencing between the unclear maps and the articles in the text, the articles nowhere near the relevant maps in the Bangkok section, the style of writing seemingly aimed at teenage backpackers and often not particularly well-informed, far too much emphasis on massage parlours and bars, rather than cultural heritage, the index incomplete and of little real use.

I travel the world for my work, but Lonely Planet will no longer be my guide book of choice.

3.0 out of 5 stars ... lonely planet guides religiously but found this one quite poor, paper very very thin so tore really easily ..., 26 Nov. 2013
Katrina James "Bookworm" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lonely Planet Thailand (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
I use lonely planet guides religiously but found this one quite poor, paper very very thin so tore really easily and a lot of the info out of date. Quite ofter referred to map pages and page numbers for info that was incorrect. Not ideal!

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential and invaluable travel companion, 28 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Lonely Planet Thailand (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
This was our bible throughout our trip! Inevitably there were one or two entries that were out of date or inaccurate but all in all it gave us invaluable information on unusually good restaurants, hotels, historical sights, as well as planning advice and suggested routes. Our holiday would not have been the same without it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best from Lonely Planet, 30 July 2012
This review is from: Lonely Planet Thailand (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
Before my trip to thailand I bought this Lonely Planet book as I did in previous trips!

Unfortunatelly this was not the best one I got! (inflation fault?)

The prices indicated in the book are quite different from the reality! This was in fact my biggest frustation. Prices of food, accomodation, transports etc are higher in reality, which is not a good experience for travelers on budget like me :)

Also the accomodation descriptions in the book are quite expensive! I always managed to find cheaper places to stay. Please Lonely Planet don't forget your sucess is due to budget travelers!

Still is in my opinion the best guide available.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book :), 14 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Lonely Planet Thailand (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
I have just returned from my trip to Asia and used this book for 3 weeks in Thailand. The book was great and helped me pick where to go, what to see, places to stay etc. It's the most up to date book so has all the info you need. I also used the internet to so didn't totally rely on this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pretty s*** really., 4 Mar. 2013
I bought this for the Andaman sea section as the whole book was cheaper than buying the one section by itself. It's so limited in what is actually tells you and the reviews for hotels / restaurants are very generic. Wouldn't recommend and doubt I'll use it again.

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 9 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Lonely Planet Thailand (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
Thailand is one of the most friendly and relaxing countries in the world, but this book totally fails to inspire. It seems very superficial and reads more like a travel brochure - long on superlatives, but short on useful facts. If you want to decide which beach resorts to visit, this book will not give you much help with your choice.
It also seems inaccurate - for Pattaya it says "so many people are drunk that ... fighting, pickpocketing and reckless driving ensues". Well the level of drunkenness and violence at night is a fraction of that which occurred nightly in Nottingham in England where I lived for 24 years; and the drivers are wonderful compared to the French drivers here in the south of France. I have never seen any violence or trouble in 5 visits to Pattaya of more than a week. Of course there are problems everywhere from time to time, but not at the level this book states.
The book does not mention the real problems in Pattaya (possibly elsewhere?), such as the jet ski scam (they claim you scratched it bringing it back on to the beach - give me B20,000). This scam has been going on for years and the tourist police usually back the hire companies! Or if you hire a scooter from one of the cheap hire places be careful you are not grossly over-charged if you have a minor scrape or break a mirror. Better get it fixed yourself or you may pay through the nose. It is not easy to argue when you are dashing off to the airport. None of this is mentioned in the book. Disappointing.
I would give it 4 out of 10.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bulky and lacking enough detailed information, 10 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Lonely Planet Thailand (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
Having travelled for years I have always selected Lonely Planet guide books for reference. I am slightly disappointed with this edition as the information and reviews for accommodation is very limited and often found myself using trip advisor as reference. Also I found limited information regarding the islands ie: getting there and away and basic info regarding the islands.

I also found the layout difficult to navigate from previous editions.

The Thailand guide book has pretty much being a burden due to the bulky size and limited info. In future I will be using the free wifi widely available around s.e Asia and saving my money. Sorry LP I have always been a fan however not enough specific info in this addition.

4.0 out of 5 stars This 2012 version is slightly out-dated now, 23 May 2014
This review is from: Lonely Planet Thailand (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
I'm going to Thailand in June, right before LP will publish the newest version of the Thailand book. So sadly I had to buy this book to plan my trip. Obviously it is a little out-dated. For example, in Chiang Mai there is a newly built 3D art museum which has become one of the most popular sites among tourists, but it's not recorded in this book. In addition to that, I think one should always check the opening time of the places online instead of relying on this book. After all it's got the schedule two years ago.

Other than the fact stated above, I love this book. I've been using several LP. It's always very well organized.

Lonely Planet Thailand (Travel Guide)
Lonely Planet Thailand (Travel Guide) by Brandon Presser (Paperback - 10 Feb. 2012)