5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Travel book
I ordered Venice book which is small and compact and full of useful information and map (so I don't get lost).
Published 22 months ago by Sue Man

1.0 out of 5 stars Ultimate Rubbish!
Published on 7 Feb 2006

1.0 out of 5 stars Ultimate Rubbish!, 7 Feb 2006
By A Customer
I bought this book as it was supposedly a handy pocket guide, with maps. It wasn't, I spent alot of time cross referencing things with another guide book to locate them. I also wasted hours of my life going to find recommended restaraunts 3 out of 5 I looked for were closed,and not just out of season closed, out of business closed. And this book is only just a year old!
And nowhere does it mention you can't smoke in any bars, restaraunts, cafe's etc! Good job I had "Lets Go Italy" with me or Id of been very hungry aswell as tired.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Travel book, 24 Aug 2012
This review is from: Lonely Planet Venice Encounter (Travel Guide) (Paperback)

3.0 out of 5 stars Useless for finding restaurants, good for descriptions of the sights, 22 Aug 2009
Hannah Keet - See all my reviews
A good little book, but the maps certainly aren't detailed enough. Out of the five restaurants we searched for during our stay, we managed to find just the one - which I found very frustrating. It could also do with a few more pictures of the sights. Apart from that the guide was quite good!

2.0 out of 5 stars Florence Phrase book, 16 Jan 2009
An average publication of limited use. Much of it's content could be found in most good quality travel guides. For under 2 it is 'OK' although I would not want to pay any more for it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Long weekend, 3 April 2009
Great little book packed with lots of good tourist and eating information. Shame about the errors in the Alilaguna data on airport transfers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Venice Guide Book, 7 April 2013
Ian Baker (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lonely Planet Venice Encounter (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
Up to the usual high standard of Lonely Planet. This is the 2nd edition published Nov 2010 so in 2013 some info maybe out of date but still a useful pocket guide and has a good map including water transport. I would study "Venice & The Veneto Guide" at home then take this one with me.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a good choice for a WE in Venice, 28 Nov 2012
This review is from: Lonely Planet Venice Encounter (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
I own more than 30 LP guides. They have never let me down. Including city guides.

This one is another story. It lacks basic information (like opening times for things to see, or that booking is required for some visits).
The pullout map is ok, the size is nice for fitting in a pocket.
The recommendations for restaurants is ok, this guide led us to a fantastic place (on the high side cost-wise, but excellent).

I think this is more a guide for the casual visitor who is not really interested in anything more than being on the spot. If you plan to visit architectural wonders, get another guide !

This is the first time that LP disappoints me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good little guide, 6 Dec 2009
I'm a fan of the 'encounter' series (I also have Paris and London) due to their small size, 'highlights' approach and decent maps (both neighbourhood/precinct maps throughout and larger pull-out map in the back), so I knew what to expect with this Venice guide.

For the price it represents good value, giving you some good information on key sights and a bunch of recommendations. The maps were useful for finding our accommodation, but we didn't use them much else - don't really need to in Venice, you'll eventually find your way to where you want to go and getting a bit lost is part of the fun right?

This guide was published in early 2009 I think, so we found the information on prices/opening hours and what-not accurate, which was great.

We were in Venice with my parents on their first trip there, so they got more out of it I think as it tends to focus on the 'big-ticket' items. So I would mainly recommend this for first-time visitors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Handy, 24 Feb 2009
Mr. S. Roberts (Mansfield, UK.) - See all my reviews
Pocket size and easy to carry around. Took it on a trip to Rome and found that it contained all the essentials. Great for first timers !!

3.0 out of 5 stars Venice Bank Holiday Visit, 2 Jun 2009
Ms. L. Hiscoke (UK) - See all my reviews
We two very busy people decided to go with the suggested 3 day itineraries. Unfortunately some of the information was incorrect/out of date so we wasted a lot of time. Also incorrect spelling of a road name sent us on a wild goose chase.

Lonely Planet Venice Encounter (Travel Guide)
Lonely Planet Venice Encounter (Travel Guide) by Bing (Paperback - 19 Nov 2010)
6.71