5.0 out of 5 stars all the information to be an independent traveller
I have always depended on the tour operators when on holiday. The book was recommended so I could save money and go to the places of my interest. I have been going through, it is very easy to just turn to the pages and read the reviews then choose accommodation and travel using public transport if need be. In short it has all the information that I need. I am not worried...
Published on 18 May 2013 by Urmila Kumar

1.0 out of 5 stars Unhelpful
Published on 18 Mar. 2013 by elf

1.0 out of 5 stars Unhelpful, 18 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Lonely Planet Sri Lanka (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
I always use the lonely planet when I go travelling, but this one became a bit of a joke when we were away. It was going to get it wrong and not just a little, but very wrong! While travelling to Kandy, we picked out a place to stay called 'Forest Glen'because it said "the small children's playground helps make it a good family choice". When we arrived there after a long day travelling, we were told that we couldn't stay because we had children and they would be too noisy! It turned out that there was a small children's play area, but that it wasn't for guests, but for her nursery, as she was a montessouri teacher. Incredible, that this wasn't checked out by the author before making a child/family friendly comment. There were many more such examples....

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst LP I have read, 3 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Lonely Planet Sri Lanka (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
I have travelled in 95 countries and counting, and the LPs are normally my standard travel companion. This guide is simply appalling. Prices are out of date, fair enough, that probably has much to do with Sri Lanka's inflation and the government raising the prices of the main tourist sites as much as possible.

What is inexcusable however, is that clearly they didnt even go to some places listed in the book! In Kandy, there are at least 2 places that I personally know of which are listed under the wrong names. The businesses changed hands well before the guide was written (since they knew when the LP people came to town) so presumably the "review" was written with second hand information at best. This was just for Kandy. And as for "impartial", no prizes for guessing where the LP people were housed during their visits - you just have to look for the "Top" recommendations. Again, Kandy's Sharon Inn as an example.

I would be able to deal with biased and second-hand information were it not for the fact that LP SPECIFICALLY pledges that their writers "personally" visit each place and do not accept freebies for favourable coverage. That was clearly not the case with this guidebook, unfortunately.

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, 9 Feb. 2013
Lacks information about major sites and information about potential problems for the more mature visitor such as climbing Sigiriya. Concentrates too much on boarding houses. A disappointment compared to all other Lonely Planet guides

2.0 out of 5 stars very poor, 15 May 2013
very basic information. half the hotels and guesthouses in most places not listed. surprisingly some accommodation details missing from previous edition. most of the write up appears to be 2nd or 3rd party information. having travelled to sl a lot, I know that the reviewers had not actually been to some places in fact. my suggestion- best stick with trip advisor or internet searches

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 14 Feb. 2013
Amazon Customer (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lonely Planet Sri Lanka (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
OK, but already feels a bit dated. The tourism infrastructure is developing so quickly. Plus, it's a bit much on the 'This is the most beautiful place ever..' rhetoric. More facts, less flannel would be better.

1.0 out of 5 stars what a disappointment, 30 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Lonely Planet Sri Lanka (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
After being a lonely planet reader for many years, I was very disappointed by this product. It contains inaccurate descriptions of things to see (too hyped up), overpriced hotels, which bumped up their prices because they were in the lonely planet, and missed lots of essential information out - like bus company numbers. Hugely disappointed, will be switching to another publisher in future. Other travellers felt the same.

2.0 out of 5 stars the worst LP I have used in 20 years, 26 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Lonely Planet Sri Lanka (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
As commented by others, this is the weakest LP I have ever used, a view shared by many other LP users I met in Sri Lanka. Yes, post war, and with inflation, prices are hard to predict. That said, I did not find Sri Lanka a cheap country - and notwithstanding what I have just mentioned, the guide might have been well aware but does not make the point. There are too many superlatives - raising expectations - that are not justified. Pigeon Island, really? Great place to dive - have the writers ever dived before? The Colombo chapter isn't bad though.

1.0 out of 5 stars My last lonely Planet, 10 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Lonely Planet Sri Lanka (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
Having spent 20 years travelling the globe I now have a whole shelf of distinctive blue book spines. I had always gone for the LP but I have found them becoming less and less useful over the last 5 years and this one is the last straw. The inaccuracies are many and glaring, as are the omissions such as public transport times. Half the book is given over to high end accommodation out of reach of most independent travellers. The top pick in almost every location is over $100 and night. If the Authors did actually visit half the locations (and I doubt they did) the clearly spent their time on 5* verandas thinking up of ways to reword the constant stream of cheesy superlatives and flowery travel brochure descriptions, rather than getting a feel for the place or gathering useful information.

It is very short on facts, it has very little suitably priced accommodation and many basic errors. I would recommend the Rough Guide instead, many fellow travellers had them and we spent more than one evening copying the useful information from them.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not formatted for Kindle, 25 Mar. 2013
This is the first time I've bought a travel guide for my Kindle and this was a complete rip-off. Paying over £12, I expected that at least some effort would have gone into formatting it for said media but absolutely no effort had been made, rendering it almost redundant.

1.0 out of 5 stars outdated and poorly written, 23 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Lonely Planet Sri Lanka (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
Don't know what has happened to LP here but this book is not up to the standard I am used to.

A lot of the information is very outraged (by several years), also seems like old descriptions have simply been added to with no consideration given.

I should imagine there are far better travel guides available.

Lonely Planet Sri Lanka (Travel Guide)
Lonely Planet Sri Lanka (Travel Guide) by Amy Karafin (Paperback - 13 July 2012)