Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I got this pocket Paris guide as I had a 3 day business trip planned and I wanted something to guide me round the sights in the odd moments I would have spare and during the evenings. I didn't want anything too bulky or with too much detail and I have to say this book is the perfect compromise.

Within it's well illustrated and attractive pages you get the best highlights of this beautiful city, without all the dry facts and vast lists that can bog other guidebooks down.

This book breaks the city up into regions and gives the best sights and restaurants, as well as providing a brief map showing the locations. As others have mentioned, there is a more comprehensive map in the back that shows the city's roads and Metro system, but I have to agree that is annoying to have to rip it out of the book and I too had difficulty when the road where one of my meetings was held wasn't shown on the map as it is deemed too small.

There is the usual trip details in the back pages covering currency and electrical voltage etc and there is also a brief couple of pages with assorted phrases. But to be honest Lonely Planet also do a phrasebook that is a similar size to this and I would recommend buying both when you are planning your trip.

All in all this is a decent, pocket sized guidebook that is ideal for short breaks and business trips and it's size means you can take it with you when you venture out.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 12 September 2012
This is another excellent guide by Lonely Planet, on my favorite city. It easily fits in your pocket (so no one will know you are a tourist?... don't worry, they can tell by your shoes!) It is in the standard color-coded format pioneered by the publisher, with an eclectic mixture of the practical knowledge that facilitates one's travels as well as the specifics on what to see. There is a very handy pull-out map, two-sided, with the map of the metro (subway) being on one side. The guide divides the areas of Paris which are of "tourist interest" into eight sections: Notre Dame and the islands (in the Seine); the Latin Quarter; Musée d'Orsay and St. Germaine des Prés ; Eiffel Tower and Les Invalidés ; Arc de Triomphe & Champs-Elysées ; Sacré-Cour and Montmartre ; Louvre, Tuilleries & Opéra ; and Centre Pompidou & the Marias.

Since it is a pocket guide, it can hardly be considered as comprehensive, but there is a lot packed in. And numerous of the restaurants recommended are not in the standard "back-packers" budget. Still, there are enough pictures to make the destination enticing (if you've never heard of it before!). Unquestionably, for the first or second time visitor, the guide is essential. I've been most fortunately to have visited and enjoyed the city on around 25 occasions over the last four decades, and I still found much that was useful. For example, on page 168, for "Best Walks", there is a "Left Bank Literary Loop" that encompasses, Paul Verlaine, George Orwell, Jack Kerouac, Henry Miller, Oscar Wilde, Ernest Hemingway and Gertrude Stein. Admittedly it is weighted towards the English language writers, but still, it will be a "must" walk on my next visit. Also, I was concerned that my favorite destination was missing, due to the area formatting of the guide, but the first "top sight" that is "worth a trip," on page 160 is Père Lachaise, the quintessential graveyard, as well as "The Wall," which was the last stand of the Commune in 1871 (though that is unmentioned in the guide).

Kudos to Catherine Le Nevez, who started her sojourns in Paris at age 4, for another excellent Lonely Planet guide. 5-stars.
on 21 December 2012
We are generally quite happy with Lonely Planet's pocket guides, but this one is a bit disappointing. First, the index is not very clear. Also, some of the information is not up-to-date. We were trying to find a bar after dinner (in the rain) and when we finally got there, it was not there anymore. I know this could happen to any guide book, and it really is not something they can control, but still, this book is about 3 stars in my opinion.
VINE VOICEon 3 December 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've been to Paris several times and figured I knew all of the top places to visit but this very handy, pocket-sized, easy-to-use guide showed me that there are loads more places to see and things to do than I had previously thought. The advice is practical and up-to-date and follows a logical and clear format. The picture are okay and maybe it's a bit gushing in places but it's not fiction. I'll be taking it with me when I next go.
VINE VOICEon 18 November 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I haven't had a Lonely Planet guide for years, but it's clear that they have come a reasonable way in terms of usability. The guide is split up to cover the major regions in Paris and they're colour-coded for easy access. It highlights the main attractions and offers advice for going to them (mostly: buy tickets before you go!) and provides clear maps for each area.

There are guide sections to eating, 'must-know' facts (i.e. guides to tipping, currency, electricity) and a little vocabulary at the back - although I'd advise getting a separate vocabulary / phrase book if you are going for any length of time or don't have a working knowledge of French.

The eating, drinking, sights and shopping sections are accurate - we've just got back from a weekend in Paris and generally found the advice spot-on. The only problem is the physical format of the book - I found that we read up before leaving the hotel to avoid looking like a tourist. There are a host of GPS-enabled, offline access maps / guides of Paris which are well worth downloading before you go to complement the guide.

Overall, very good - well worth £5.59
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
With a picture of the old Notre Dame on the front and 'Top Sights' mentioned, this obviously covers the main tourist attractions rather than the 'off the beaten track' sights. But there are treats for the new visitor. Losing the 'Encounter' title is a good idea but the 'Pocket' font looks naff.

There is a lot covered in the guide but it isn't really comprehensibly laid out. Inside the front cover there is a map of central Paris onto which are overlaid shaded boxes with names of neighbourhooods and corresponding chapter page numbers. The boxes are shaded in different colours and the chapters have coloured tabs to match.

So far so good but confusingly, some chapters have "The sights in a day" written itineraries where others have (more useful) mini-maps with suggested routes marked and numbered attractions, the description of which are listed.

Then, out of the blue there are some "Worth a trip" sections. Some of these don't require much of a "trip" as they're on your doorstep (St Martin Canal) and others will be more of a day excursion (Versailles).

Despite a "Top Sights" section right at the front, there is also a "Best of" section from page 167. This includes some "Best Walks" which consist of more mini-maps as outlined above. These look useful but surely belong in the corresponding chapters of the relevant area.

So, as you can see, there is lots of (good) info here but it's all dotted about.

There's a "Best Markets" page which only lists 5 markets. There's space here to list MANY markets and I think this space is wasted as the featured markets are already listed under the respective area chapters. Montorgueil market is strangely absent from the list.

A "Top Tips" boxout in "Parks & Gardens" says "Watch this space" regarding "ecominded initiatives" but doesn't say what they are! It should mention La Main Verte or guerilla gardening at the very least. Pontless.

There's a "Survival Guide" at the back including such info as how to order 2 beers in French, which is fair enough.

The pull-out map doesn't just pull out but tears off! You have to completely remove it from the book to read it which is a bit fiddly as it then falls out whenever you open the book. The map was lost within 2 days and the book hasn't even left the house!

There are separate indexes for eating, drinking, entertainment and shopping apart from the main index. I didn't find this very useful and little is listed under the main index. Road names are listed on the drop-out map.

I would still recommend this guide as it does have a lot of useful info and some of the suggested walks are exceptional. But I advise to do something about the fall-out map before embarking on your journey. Some Sellotape wouldn't go amiss. And maybe give the book a good read before you leave and then mark or reorganise the pages so that you can see everything pertaining to each neighbourhod without having to double-check that missing info isn't hidden in some other "Best of" area of the guide.

[My Ref: Basic PARIS guide (Passage Brady curry exaggeration) book Nov.12]
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I went to Paris with the family and took his along as the main guidebook which we took round on our travels.

The size is perfect. Truly portable. It has a very good map in the back of the book which needs to be dettached from the book to open. This runs the risk of being lost in the bottom of the rucksack which would be a real shame.

The items in the book are divided into geographical areas with a brief summary and introduction for each area.

There was nothing (apart from one moderately obscure gallery, the Marmottan Monet Gallery) which was not featured and described in the book.

It is very good for kids covering kid-friendly sites and the index is comprehensive and easy to use.

This book only loses a star for the silly design of the map which could easily get lost.
VINE VOICEon 25 September 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Now this is genuinely pocket sized! It comes with a pull out map and contains bags of information!

Organised in sections (Quickstart guide - top places to visit etc;Explore Paris; The Best of Paris; and Survival Guide) this little gem of a book is packed with tips, bitesized chunks of information and recommendations for eating, drinking, shopping, walking, chilling.... This is a great little addition to the Lonely Planet series - a well filled little brother to the bigger guides - and I'm a big fan of the series altogether.

This would be a brilliant thing to have on a short stay or long weekend - picking out the obvious hits, alongside tips for the less obvious things to do, including "take a break" moments.

Really recommend this one
on 9 August 2014
Bought this book for our first visit to Paris and I'm so glad we did. Fantastic little book, so helpful and informative with a great map in the back (which can be pulled out). We walked round most of Paris with the help of this book, looked up info about a particular museum, building or tourist attraction and then found a decent restaurant nearby. All the info was spot on including the warnings about street beggars and their tricks. We definitely saw, enjoyed and got more out of our Paris trip thanks to this book. It has also a Metro map, which is very easy to use. We can't wait to go back and I'll pack this book first!
VINE VOICEon 4 November 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is the perfect Paris guide for your handbag or "man" bag (10.5 cm x 15 cm x 1.2 cm). Two hundred pages of succinct, well written, essential information covering all aspects of a tourist's visit to "the world's most romanticised city". Lots of photographs and maps plus a large pull out map inside the back cover make for a must-have for the first time or repeat visitor to Paris. The Paris Day Planner (pages 14-15) will give you a good overview of how to plan your visit if visiting the city for a short break of between 1 and 4 days, to ensure that you see the very best of the city in the time that you have available.