4.0 out of 5 stars Eastern European highlights

3.0 out of 5 stars A heavy general overview
Published 11 months ago by feebs

4.0 out of 5 stars Eastern European highlights, 30 Dec 2011
This review is from: Lonely Planet Eastern Europe (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
Having been travelling through Eastern Europe for many months at a time, I have always been a fan of purchasing the latest lonelyplanet guide book. They give a good overview of the main places of interest to someone thinking of touring this interesting region. This latest edition is no different, in that it provides the usual brief historical background of each country and the modern social and political current affairs of the countries included. Where this guide book differs from the others is its more user frindly design, which gives good suggestions of verious itineries and a list of Unesco world heritage sights in Eastern Europe. In general the guide book is a good reference point with basic maps of the Cities and tourist sights. Nevertheless, the books weakest point is the lack of an extensive listing of hostels as regards to the extensive listings available on Hostelworld and Hostelbookers, which in high season can mean having to depend on either various travel agencies or tourist offices, although, things change many of the hostels on the two websights mentioned have been open a few years yet have not been mentioned in the guide book. Overall, I would recommend this guide book as a good point of reference for those visiting or thinking of visiting this region, along with using the hostel booking websites, which will expand on the buget options available, especially in high season.

4.0 out of 5 stars Too many countries to provide enough detail, 16 Mar 2014
red0209 (Newcastle, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Lonely Planet Eastern Europe (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
I bought this book as I was taking two trips in 2013, each lasting two to three weeks. The first was to Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania, and the second was to Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Austria and Hungary. Having completed these trips, I would say that particularly for the Baltic states of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania there are not enough pages in the book to cover these countries in enough detail. Each one gets between 30 and 40 pages, which is enough to give basic details, particularly for the capital cities, but not a great deal else despite there being a lot to see and do that isn't mentioned in the book. I suppose this is to be expected when a book is trying to cover such a wide area, particularly when other countries are more popular with tourists. In hindsight it would have been much more worthwhile for me to buy a guidebook covering the Baltic states only, such as Lonely Planet Estonia, Latvia & Lithuania (Travel Guide) for example.

Generally the book is the standard Lonely Planet format, and the major countries of Eastern Europe, such as Czech Republic or Hungary for example, are covered extensively enough to keep most people happy. I always particularly appreciate the city centre maps in Lonely Planet guides as the maps you pick up from tourist information offices in the cities themselves are often overly commercial and sometimes not to scale or detailed enough. The restaurant and hotel recommendations are often dubious, particularly as establishments can change quickly. In future I won't be buying guides that cover such a wide range of countries but this guide was still useful to me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Used throughout trip, 20 Oct 2013
This review is from: Lonely Planet Eastern Europe (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
Lonely planet guides are a brilliant investment. They are not always good for entertainment but are brilliant for telling you what sights are worth seeing and what there is to do in each place. They are good for the first bit of research into a place and are nice to have with you if you get stuck.

3.0 out of 5 stars A heavy general overview, 4 Aug 2013
This review is from: Lonely Planet Eastern Europe (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
I bought this book for a trip through Eastern Europe and, although the quality of content matches what I would usually expect from a Lonely Planet, I felt that it didn't really give me any extra insight or 'insiders tips' for the places I was visiting. The trouble with this book is that it skims through the basics of so many countries in one without real detail about any. If you were planning your own whistle-stop tour of the main tourist destinations and cities and are pretty confident about booking your own travel it may be useful. I missed the extra ideas for things to do and the background country historical info etc that I have come to expect from previous guidebooks.

It's also pretty heavy - which led to my decision to dump it on my 3rd night into my trip. I'd say plan ahead of time using a book like this or the internet and then talk to the locals and get involved to really discover Eastern Europe rather than taking this guidebook with you. Have a fun trip in an amazing part of the world!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great guide book from Lonely Planet, 28 Jun 2013
This review is from: Lonely Planet Eastern Europe (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
I've been fortunate enough to travel quite extensively around the world - using a number of different guide books along the way. I have finally settled on Lonely Planet as being the best guide books to use. They are easy to dip in and out of providing easy to find information on places to stay, places to eat, ideas for day trips or short trips. I am currently planning a Balkan Adventure for September and the Eastern Europe Guide has given me loads of ideas on what route to take, where to stay and what to do. I can't wait for September so I can put my guide book to use on the ground.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good, 14 Jun 2013
This review is from: Lonely Planet Eastern Europe (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
very good - the book itself is very useful for all the countries i am going to be travelling to as well as just general hints and travel tips.
excellent condition.
quick delivery.
Thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted, 11 Jun 2013
This review is from: Lonely Planet Eastern Europe (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
I recommend this Guide especially to backpackers. It's fantastic to plan trip because it explains just the necessary about a country. Of course if you need more details you must to use a specific guide.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you need to plan your trip!, 31 Mar 2013
This review is from: Lonely Planet Eastern Europe (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
I used it to go to Poland and it made it easy as possible! And all the information was correct and trustable!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great overview guide!, 24 Aug 2012
This review is from: Lonely Planet Eastern Europe (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
When it comes about travel guides I always buy those from Lonely Planet because they served me always well and gave me so many clues and hints that I now don't dare to go somewhere on holidays without this guide in my hands:) So a Eastern Europe holiday wanted to be planned and this guide helped us a lot to decide for a round trip and which cities and countries we definitely have to see. It's a good choice if you need a general guidance, because this part of Europe included so many countries that it's only natural that those articles have to be summaries about certain places in this guide. But it gives the curious reader a great general overview about the landscapes and countrysides that have to be seen, so it was perfect for our purpose!

5.0 out of 5 stars A benchmark, 9 Jan 2012
This review is from: Lonely Planet Eastern Europe (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
The authors provide a wealth of information as well as ideas and commentary. I like the 'basic' information it provides, like access to ATMs, tipping conventions and power plug types. It is a benchmark for travel books.

Lonely Planet Eastern Europe (Travel Guide)
Lonely Planet Eastern Europe (Travel Guide) by Watkins (Paperback - 21 Oct 2011)
Used & New from: 4.44