on 24 December 2012
This new 2012 Lonely Planet Kenya Guide is updated and covers all parts of this beautiful country. It has 408 pages, colour and B/W maps and colour wildlife photos with large colour map of Kenya on pages 4 and 5. Having visited Kenya many times, I found the lonely planet guide helpful because:-
(1) Provides comprehensive street map of Nairobi and its attractions
(2) Routes to climbing Mt Kenya
(3) Easy to use maps, both colour and B/W
(4) Local and street maps
(5) Best places to go and its National Parks and Reserves
(6) Do's and Don'ts on and before safaris
(7) Covers areas of interest month by month
(8) Discusses various safaris on offer
(9) Advise on travel with children
(10) History of Kenya(British East Africa)
(11) Brief look at its wonderful wildlife
(12) Explains survival guide
(13) Covers lodges, camps, tents, transport, money, eating, sights, shopping, safari guides, fees, tipping, climate, phone and when to go
(14) Dangers and annoyances
(15) Medical problems, insurance, dress code, theft and what to take on holidays
(16) Basic swahili language
(17) Provides 17 top experiences
(18) Watch the regions at a glance
This is a small enough book to carry and you can mark pages you wish to see frequently. The only other map you may wish to carry is the Nelles folded map on Kenya which also covers northern Tanzania, and is excellent.
Having born in Kenya, I found this guide very good.
on 29 December 2014
Like all the Lonely Planet guides I have purchased, this is fantastic if you are planning a visit to Kenya. All the information and advice is spot on, and at the time of my visit bang up to date.
If you are considering a purchase (and this information applies to any Lonely Planet guide book I have used) I would purchase the book well in advance of your visit. This way you can scan over the book to get a general feel for it, and then you come back and read in depth the bits that apply to you and your visit.
on 6 July 2013
A brilliant pocket guide to Kenya. The book is small(er than a LOT of others), thin and most importantly, up to date. It's got great advice on where to stay, go, and how to get there.