Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 November 2012
I bought this as I had left the previous one in Jordan with a friend who was amazed to find out things about his country that he didn't know. It's really comprehensive and the advice given is excellent, we chose a hotel in Al-Azraq from it and it was excellent, formerly an old British Military hospital.
I can recommend Umm Qais, fascinating and if you're lucky you can get right down to within 7 metres of Lake Tiberias.
We slept in a Beduoin tent in Wadi Rum, brilliant, the stars at night were incredible.
Amman and Aqaba are both wonderful places, we met a guy who was an extra in Lawrence of Arabia, he has the gift shop next to Ali Baba's Restaurant.
Driving is easy, except for the time I hit the fifth circle in the rush hour in the dark, scary. I can really recommend this if you visit Jordan, fabulous country.
on 21 January 2013
As a long time traveller I have often had to depend on Lonely Planet when I would rather not. Their inability to write without excessive superlatives which recommend every waterfall and experience is, frankly, exhausting and, since being bought by the BBC I've found the accuracy of their information (maps and details of individual sites) to have taken a nose-dive, (to the point that one time they failed to remove several places that had closed down before a supposed 'updated version').

Therefore I was clearly not expecting much when I purchased this guide for a recent trip to Jordan. I was overwhelmingly surprised. The author has clearly done her research thoroughly and her tone is both enthusiastic and personable. She clearly worked hard to give the reader a genuine sense of the country before arriving. More than that, as a woman travelling alone through the Middle East, she was more than aware of the concerns and potential problems I could face and directly addressed that, not just in the 'Women Travellers' section, but throughout.

My only complaint is that (typically of western media) she was very very positive about the current monarchy in Jordan and, having done some independent research into the subject, it would have been interesting to see a more balanced approach that at least mentions of some of the criticism that has been directed at it. This is a small complaint, however, and overall (and for the first time with Lonely Planey) I would highly recommend this guide book.
on 25 December 2014
Good little guide as you would expect. Jordan is a stunning and friendly country to visit and the guide was spot on. Visit Petra, Jerash, Dead Sea, Red Sea, Amman as a minimum. Felt really safe and made very welcome.
on 2 May 2013
I used this book before and after our trip to Jordan. We went on an organised tour so already knew the route the tour was going to take us and the book was excellent in giving information about the area we were visiting as well as recommending local eateries and hotels - of which several we subsequently used. We had an excellent tour guide with a fountain of knowledge but it wasn't until I got home and used the books to add comment to my photos did it all start to make complete sense. I found the book to be factual and up to date as well as easy to reference and read and highly recommend it.
on 24 April 2013
I travelled to Jordan in April 2013 (two weeks ago). I had bought this guide and my friend bought the Rough Guide series. I think both are really helpful and contain lots of practical information. Sometimes, they complement each other. Well, you cannot have everything and if some information is missing from either of the guides, it will not spoil your travel anyway. We had planned our trip according to this guide's suggested itinerary: Seven Days Amman to Aqaba Return with a slight modification - we did not go to Amman, instead we went straightaway from the airport to our hotel in Madaba (just to save time). But the itinerary was a good choice and it was well worth trying.
What I liked particularly about my Lonely Planet guide was that in Jordan we met two people mentioned in it! One of them we met in Petra. His name was Bdoul Mofleh, 'one of the last residents of Petra', who lives in his cave home (yes, I have his autograph!). Thanks to this meeting the book has become a more personal souvenir for me. The other man we met and who is mentioned in the guide is Ahmed - the owner of Wadi Rum camp 'Rum Stars' where we travelled too. The guide contains a short interview with him. This is why this book is a winner for me. Apart from that, you will find lots of useful information. The only thing please pay attention to is the prices. But this is understandable as the guide was written some time ago. For instance, a mini bus from Petra to Wadi Rum now costs 7JD. The only thing that could be improved in all Lonely Planet guides is the maps (esp. city plans). They are much better in the Rough Guide series. Overall, an excellent and very well written guide. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to spend a great time in Jordan.
on 2 September 2013
I've never been disappointed with a Lonely Planets guide and have a bookshelf as testament to my travel guide of choice. Nothing comes close. I've never been disappointed with a Lonely Planets guide and have a bookshelf as testament to my travel guide of choice. Nothing comes close.
on 24 January 2013
Great and full of information on borders to Israel and some great hostels recommended! If going to Jordan perfect guide
on 20 August 2014
Amazing travel guide ! Very useful and all info is up to date! An essential item for your trip especially in Jordan where most of the people do not speak English and if you don't have a tour guide with you all the time
on 17 May 2014
I am usually a huge fan of the Lonely Planet series. I like to travel and backpack around the world and thought this book (as the others I used in the past) will help me find the gems of Jordan. Not at all, the book is not suited to backpackers but wealthy travelers only. The only hotel/hostel the author tested are the Crowne Plaza, the Hilton and the Movenpick. The author is obsessed by Movenpick resort and ice cream I think she was secretly sponsored.
on 23 February 2014
As with all Lonely Planet books I have used this one provides a helpful introduction to a country I will shortly visit. The information provided provides answers to most of the questions I would ask but until I have actually visited the country I cannot vouch for their accuracy.