5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, redesigned guide
I have been using Lonely Planet guides for the past couple of years. This one has surprised me though - it's a brand new 2011 edition with all new look inside, extra maps and some useful extras never to be found before in older editions. Highly recommended!
Published on 8 Nov. 2011 by Michal

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much of the same
Published 19 months ago by Enquirer

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, redesigned guide, 8 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Lonely Planet Melbourne & Victoria (Travel Guide) (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Melbourne and Victoria Lonely Planet guide. Small and light., 24 Nov. 2012
The Lonely Planet range rarely lets the independent traveller down. Although I bought this one as a present for someone else I have had a look at it myself as I lived in Melbourne for a short while. It is small and light to carry and easy to use. The few photos are good and the pull out map at the back works well. Excellent value for money from Amazon.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much of the same, 1 Sept. 2013
Enquirer (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I sit here in Melbourne with this book open and must express my annoyance. I have reviewed a number of guides recently, with a general personal preference for the Lonely Planet style and format. However I just have to say that this particular one is unbalanced in several ways. Firstly, it gives a lot (and I mean a lot) of achingly hip hotels to use in Melbourne, but nothing about the more 'normal' ones. I'm here at the Intercontinental Rialto in Collins Street. It's jaw-droppingly good, public rooms are significant, set in one of the city's oldest and best re-interpreted old buildings. Too corporate? Well, whatever the reason - no mention

We have just spent the day at Heide, now the Museum of Conteporary Art. The guide does mention it, just fails to contextualise - either by letting one know where it is (Bulleen, 25 minutes drive out of town); or anything about the major Australian artists on permanent diplay (other than their love of Sunday dinners here). Superchefs, ethnic dining and food trucks in Melbourne get more coverage than all the art in Victoria.

Next, it being Sunday, I sought any mention of Christianity or a church other than as an architectural item. I had noticed that LP are pretty anti-faith in their publications, but this is a zero faith zone - except concerning Aboriginal beliefs. We had to track down the 5,000 strong Planet Shakers church in the CBD via the internet. (Their regular conferences have 20,000 people in attendance - roughly the same as the number of Aborigines in the whole State of Victoria), buy hey, no hipster would be interested in such things would they?

Far too many restaurants are reviewed, leaving little room for most other experiences, even for sport, the new Australian god. Most such restaurants are just too transient, and rapidly date a guide.

Any spare space is instead lavished on the Lesbian, Gay, Bi scene or sniping at Britain, the Empire, Captain Cook, the founding of Australia, white Australians, etc etc etc, whilst reading like a land rights manifesto. I wanted a guide book, not an essay on liberal guilt.

If they are aiming to be 'alternative', I would rather they had some stuff about the music scene that spawned Nick Cave and the Birthday Party.

This guide makes Rough Guides seem a masterpiece of discipline. Too personal, insufficient for families, Christians, Muslims, any other isms, children, older people etc. If you are really up yourself and think you are younger than you really are, this guide is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 8 Feb. 2015
the book arrived on Fri 7.2.2015, thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, 13 Aug. 2014
Been to Melbourne with book in hand

Lonely Planet Melbourne & Victoria (Travel Guide)
Lonely Planet Melbourne & Victoria (Travel Guide) by Donna Wheeler (Paperback - 23 July 2011)
Used & New from: £1.40