Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Summer Savings Up to 25% Off Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen in Prime Shop now Learn more

VINE VOICEon 8 September 2004
This chunky guide is an well-structured guide to the main tourist areas of England. There are plenty of amusing illustrations and insights into quirky areas of our island's cultural life.
On a practical level I have could have done with more photos and maps, but the info on places such as Oxford and Cambridge was more than enough to provide a enjoyable visit for day-trippers
on 6 February 2008
I haven't had a problem with the accuracy and the usefulness of the information in this Lonely Planet guide to England. I have no complaints there. The prices and the opening times are right. The recommendations insightful and the options presented (more or less) clearly.
My only complaint is that the depth of information is quite limited and the maps don't often cover more than the very city town centre of most locations.
I can understand that the book can only be so big but really, who wants to carry around a chapter of England's history when you travel and then resort to a series of additional maps and guide information. If you're going to carry this great hunking book when you travel, take it to read as well as as your guide book and make the weight worth while.
Maybe Lonely Planet should consider increasing the quality of their printing so that the maps can be more detailed.
on 2 July 2004
While England is quite small there is an awfull lot packed into it. The same cannot be said of this book. Many areas of the country are very short on detail. I think that a visitor may find it useful as long as they realise that they will also be missing a lot if they only use this book. There seems to be a lot of detail on just London while counties such as Norfolk have very little information. As with most Lonely Planet books it is good to have but it would be better to seek more information on the spot.
on 28 August 2011
It may be just me but I prefer Rough Guides (which I already had but an old edition). Competent enough.
I've used both Rough Guides and Michelin guides over the years and of the two, found the Rough Guides suited me very well (my Morocco Rough Guide and my Paris Rough Guide have both been loved to death during numerous visits). This said, I can't explain why I chose this Lonely Planet England over other titles available, but on receiving it and thumbing it through I would have to agree with an earlier reviewer who says that England is probably too big a country for one guide book.

Now some years into my retirement, I had thought that I might try a little travelling in the UK, to places I've not visited before, and see if I could travel on public buses using my free Over 60's travel pass wherever possible. Even looking at places I know well, particularly in my home county of Northumberland, and in Derbyshire, the Cotswolds and East Anglia, I found this Lonely Planet guide very inadequate for my proposed needs (although it did contain some information in the 'Getting there and away' sections about public bus services into, out of and around places I was interested in visiting).

Focus in on a destination and there is often only a short paragraph about the place or attraction and there's a miserly eight pages of hardly representative colour photographs for the whole country (along with a splattering of other colour illustrations). Maybe it's my age, but I didn't like the style of writing very much either and, as a prospective independent traveller on not a great budget, I would have also liked to know more about reasonably priced overnight accommodation, not £95-a-night hotels).

I don't want to say "don't buy this guide", it might well suit YOU, but I do feel that if Michael Portillo had used Lonely Planet England on his television travels, rather than his ancient Bradshaw, I don't think he would have got very far or entertained his viewers half as much. For me, it's just a big book to carry about in hand luggage for very little informational return so I'm sorry to say it's going to be returned as soon as possible.
on 12 July 2009
A very informative guide book on all, or most, of the interesting places in England. Especially the interviews of local people bring the book more insight. What was sadly left out, were the Channel Islands, which was a bit of a dissapointment. Otherwise a ver intertaining read.
on 9 November 2009
I run a B&B in Northumberland and got several bookings from people who had seen a review of us in the guide, so I had to buy it to see what had been said. I had heard of the series and rather assumed that the books were aimed at backpackers in their 20s, but I found this guide to be really good, clear and well-presented and aimed altogether at a much wider market. The mix of useful information for each area, where to go, where to stay and where to eat is exactly what travellers need.
on 6 January 2013
An excellent travel guide, with loads of information. A great to tool to plan a trip to England, in particular to places that doesn't appear in travel guides so often.
on 10 September 2012
I relied on this book for weekend activities and places to see while living in England. As always great suggestions on places to visit.
on 10 August 2013
Good maps and great tips for your travels. Another classic Lonely Planet to add to my collection. The only travel books I buy.