5.0 out of 5 stars Would certainly recommend it
I have just come back from travelling for three weeks in Western and Southern Ukraine using the new Lonely Planet guide. I can certainly recommend it and I like the new Lonely Planet formula. As usual with Lonely Planet guides it gives you enough information without too much detail, so it is easy to use.
Published on 14 Oct 2011 by Terry

1.0 out of 5 stars Felt let down by Lonely Planet
Having been to Ukraine a couple of times now, I was looking for a guide that would give me an idea of things to do outside Kyiv.
Nothing.
I've been to Lviv twice and could name more sights and things to do than the authors did. No practical info, maps or tips. No photos

N-O-T-H-I-N-G!

They ask people to contact them if they missed out...
Published 14 months ago by stdaria

1.0 out of 5 stars Felt let down by Lonely Planet, 28 Jun 2013
Nothing.

N-O-T-H-I-N-G!

They ask people to contact them if they missed out anything. Oh boy - do they want people to do their job for them?
I am honestly waiting for DK to come up with a proper guide on Ukraine. Until then - do not waste your hard earned money on this book!

3.0 out of 5 stars travel guide, 29 May 2012
Dympna M. Kelly "traveller" (N Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lonely Planet Ukraine (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
This is a bit disappointing - hard to pinpoint why - it may be that the tourist industry here is still not especially well developed and therefore information is sometimes sparse.
I'd hoped for better but maybe my expectations were too high. However, there aren't a lot of recent guides to this area to choose from.

5.0 out of 5 stars Would certainly recommend it, 14 Oct 2011

2.0 out of 5 stars Interesting guide, but hard to navigate, 28 May 2013
The lonely planet guide had everything their guides normally have but this was my first kindle version and found it so difficult to find what I wanted. With a paper book you can flick through the pages easily but with the electronic book I couldn't work out how to find stuff. I expected to be able to type in KIev and be taken to that section but all it asked me for was page numbers which supposedly I should memorise. Maybe I was doing something wrong. I expected it to be much more interactive and maybe have links to other things on the web. I will still buy lonely planet but maybe the book versions in future.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good choice, 23 Sep 2012
This review is from: Lonely Planet Ukraine (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
This book is one of the traditional Lonely Planet books. It means that if you are going to travel to an unknown country then you should always get one of their books. Ukraine: country guide has a huge amount of useful information about travelling around Ukraine. The only thing missing is a huge detailed map from a major city, in this case Kiev. Some Lonely Planet books have these detailed maps. But otherwise this is a good choice if you are planning to travel to Ukraine.

1.0 out of 5 stars A bad advert for Lonely Planet, 3 Jan 2014
I agree with many of the reviews here. This is not a good guide to Ukraine, and this is from someone who usually treats Lonely Planet and Rough Guides as bibles. The authors hardly seem to know Ukraine, or not the parts I have visited. Their information about Kiev, which has so much more to offer, is sketchy at best. And they have a political bias that seems almost anti-Ukrainian.
I noticed that there is a new Lonely Planet guide coming out in 2014 and presumed, given the reviews, that they were rushing out a proper guide. Amazingly it has the same authors. So, for visitors to Ukraine I recommend the Bradt guide - much better, and by someone who clearly loves Ukraine and the Ukrainian people.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Guide If Touring The Whole Of The Ukraine, 21 Dec 2013
This review is from: Lonely Planet Ukraine (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
I only went to Yalta and Odessa, probably the main tourist cities of the Ukraine. I found this guide book just about adequate. I would have liked more information on both locations but, due to the size of the country, I realise that they cannot go into greater detail. The guide gave good tips but I would have preferred greater detail. After searching several guidebooks on the country I felt that this one was the best overall.

4.0 out of 5 stars UKRAINE GUIDE BOOK, 4 Sep 2013
This review is from: Lonely Planet Ukraine (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
IT SEEMS TO HAVE QUITE A LOT OF USEFUL INFORMATION - AND IS A VERY RECENT EDITION - SO SHOULD BE UP TO DATE

4.0 out of 5 stars Super useful if you going solo, 16 Aug 2013
This review is from: Lonely Planet Ukraine (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
The book has lots of information about the country (for how small it is) and is quite up to date, I recommend it if you do not know anyone in the country.
Specifically I went to Kiev and Lviv and Crimea in July 2013.

I missed useful phrases in Russian, since half the country speaks and I think should be included. More precise phrases to buy tickets, travel by bus, etc.. (only few people speaks english in ukraine). Also more information about museum schedules and more low budget hotels/hostels.

Regards

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, overall, 8 April 2013
This review is from: Lonely Planet Ukraine (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
It covers the basics... You'll definitely benefit from having it, but it may miss some interesting spots once in a while. I recommend it.

Lonely Planet Ukraine (Travel Guide)
Lonely Planet Ukraine (Travel Guide) by Leonid Ragozin (Paperback - 20 May 2011)
11.99