5.0 out of 5 stars another great title from lonely planet
we used this for a trip North of the border, and it was a great asset for planning things to do in Scotland .. very useful if you've never been before.
Published on 10 Aug. 2011 by D. Clarke

2.0 out of 5 stars Disjointed information
I found this guide frustrating to use for planning a trip as the layout meant that you could be looking at one page with information on Killin and then the next page catapulted you 50 plus miles to Culross on the coast of Fife.

I would have prefered the information on places to be laid out in a more sequential fashion.

The only way to make much use...
Published on 9 Jan. 2012 by Michael Bruce

5.0 out of 5 stars another great title from lonely planet, 10 Aug. 2011
D. Clarke (England) - See all my reviews

2.0 out of 5 stars Disjointed information, 9 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Scotland (Lonely Planet Country Guides) (Paperback)

The only way to make much use of the book as a planning tool is to start at page one and then note all the things of interest in place X, you then have to go through the book repeating the process for each place whilst also trying to figure out where it all is on a big map. This is all very time consuming and I gave up after several days.

We took the book with us and it was of some use for finding things once we got somewhere, but this was a big trip for us and we wanted to be well prepared in advance.

We did find that information on admission prices was out of date quite often and the information on Orkney was a bit light. A wider choice of recommended B&Bs and pubs would have been good too.

In summary, if you don't mind stumbling around Scotland and using the book to learn a bit about where you've arrived, then the book is OK. BUT if you want an easy way to plan your trip in advance, you should look for something different!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very accurate and easy to follow guide., 20 July 2009
The Scotland Lonely Planet guide gave us very good advice about road trips, maps, accomodation and fun! I believe I will buy another Lonely Planet guide next time I travel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, 15 Dec. 2008
Richard R. Chatterjee "Journeyman" (Croydon, UK) - See all my reviews
This member of the renowned Lonely Planet series was an essential tool in helping me plan and conduct a family holiday tour around the highlands. All the information I wanted was supplied, including phone numbers of key helpers (such as lone operators - real heroes of rural Scotland - to complete otherwise isolating gaps in transport).
Scotland is a gloriously living place, so changes occur which would account for occasionally being out of date, as complained of by other contributors. From my summer's experience, each element appeared current and reliable.

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect partner to the top 10 guide, 9 Jun. 2009
Lonely planet - whilst it does consist mainly of written pages with just a few photographs and maps, is a perfect partner to the top 10. Here you will find the best resturants that usually the locals go to, which are value for money and of excellent quality. You dont need to read everything but if you want great places to stay for what ever your budget and like wise for eating out, then you will be very happy with your purchase. Of course it does also give you extra information about places of interest, which if you don't mind reading or have found in the top 10 but want a bit more info, then this is your book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guide book in great condition, 7 Aug. 2012
We went camping round the highlands & islands and this book proved invaluable on more than one occasion. There is excellent information on accommodation and dining out for larger towns. There is unfortunately a lack of detailed maps, I would therefore recommend using in conjunction with a large scale map book. This is by no means a one-book-solution to touring Scotland, but for useful tips on where to stay and what to do once you've arrived it's a good item to have in your armoury. Having bought it second hand through amazon I did feel I got a bargain.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dissappointing coverage...., 27 July 2000
adh (Stonehaven, Scotland) - See all my reviews
We own a guest house in Stonehaven, Scotland and my motivation for purchasing this book was to put it in the Guest's Lounge as a resource for tourists to the area.
Unfortunately, for a book that is supposed to be specialising in Scotland, found it a bit lacking in coverage. Even the Rough Guide to Britain (which has 4 countries to cover) managed to get the attractions in and around Stonehaven in! (e.g. Harbour, Dunnottar Castle, Birdwatching etc).
I'm off to purchase Scotland - The Rough Guide. Hopefully it'll be more useful for our guests...
S&y

5.0 out of 5 stars The usual Lonely Planet excellence, 24 Oct. 2011
strozzapreti "strozzapreti" (Bradford, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Scotland (Lonely Planet Country Guides) (Paperback)
As usual with Lonely Planet guides (and I must own close to a dozen bought over many years of travel), this is simply the best one-volume guide to the whole country I could find. For all of my smart phone access to the Internet, I still found this indispensable during a recent two-week trip to the mighty Glasgow, festive Edinburgh and remote highlands. You won't regret buying it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scotland Book, 28 Aug. 2011
Mrs. L. Milson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Scotland (Lonely Planet Country Guides) (Paperback)
I bought this book as we are going to Scotland later this year and I was told it was a good book and I was told right it is a great book I have chosen lots of places I want to visit out of it

4.0 out of 5 stars Scotland (Lonely planet country guides, 16 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Scotland (Lonely Planet Country Guides) (Paperback)
Scotland (Lonely planet country guides)
is nice and detailed descriptions and we look forward to explore scotlands wild beautiful north

Scotland (Lonely Planet Country Guides)
Scotland (Lonely Planet Country Guides) by Neil Wilson (Paperback - 18 Mar. 2011)
Used & New from: £0.77