5.0 out of 5 stars Essential practical guide which will save you many times the cost
This is the best guide to marrakesh we could find, in a week we did about a third of the recommendations and every one was as good as or better than described. Very up to date, accurate and entertaining. Only one thing was a few months out of date - petit taxis refuse to use meters now and therefore you have to avoid them at tourist traps in order to get a fair price.
Published on 8 Jan. 2012 by C. F. Pielou

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment
I ordered this as I had always found the Lonely Planet guides very useful and comprehensive. On reading it I disliked the style but, nevertheless, took it to Marrakech to try it out. It was of marginal value.

The style varies between the precious and the pretentious and articles vary between the celebrity magazine and the TV game show script. I found the...
Published 18 months ago by Mr. W. R. Clare

3.0 out of 5 stars OK book if you are staying in Marrakesh, but too much about hotels, restaurants, etc and not enough about place., 8 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Lonely Planet Marrakesh Encounter (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
We were staying at an all inclusive resort 20 minutes outside of Marrakesh so didn't really need the 150+ pages of information about places to stay, restaurants, etc. Very small information sections and history, culture. Probably my own fault for not doing enough research before buying but it was highly recommended by Tripadvisor.

1.0 out of 5 stars Basic Error ..., 6 Aug. 2013
I relied upon repuations for this purchase, it was the first time I have bought through Amazon without checking the product elsewhere first, and I did that as in general I have found lonely planet guides have been quite good, so I have learnt an important lesson ... ... ... do not trust the reputation!

The guide covers basics well enough but for my mind gives nothing more than the absolute basics - and does not do that as well as other guides in thier series that I have used. As an example the Post Office is not covered in the index and is only represented by a dot on the map on page 69 which is not replicated on the enclosed city map - although this will tell you the opening hours, if not where to find one! As I recall, I also noted some inaccurate information, but can not put my finger on what it was just now. One example I can give is no 8 on the highlights list, Jardin Majorelle. Compared to other attractions, this is expensive, and frankly a big disappointment. Yes, a pleasent enough garden with a few labels to tell you the name of some of the plants - but the bottom line is that somebody who has overcharged for his designs in life is now looking down from above and congratulating the locals for continuing this trend! The best thing you can say about the place is it is shady and pleasant enough - there is little or no life in their (I mean birds, bugs etc that you would expect in such a place) and as for seeing the turtles, maybe through the dirty water. My recommendation should you still want to go, would be to take a book or a puzzle and chill out for a while out of the direct sun.

The guide is a handy size, and if that is your over-riding consideration, it will get you through, but I cannot believe that there are not better guides out there and available. From my perspective, this is the most disappointing Lonely Planet guide in my collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good little guide book, 27 Oct. 2013
Useful guide to the main sites of Marrakesh and a nice size to easily fit into a handbag or large pocket. The map of the medina area may not be exactly like it is on the ground - but we had 3 maps - all different - the place is a rabbit warren!

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok for a very rough guide, 4 Mar. 2013
The maps were a bit limited and there were no walks to follow as is typical in the lonely planet guides. Could have benefitted from more bar/restaurant guides. The top 10 list of things to do was a very useful starting point though.

1.0 out of 5 stars Little information regarding the Medina area, 26 Jun. 2014
There was little information regarding the Medina, which is where we are going to stay, with the main focus on the other neighbourhoods. Disappointed as usually Lonely Planet guide books are very good.

5.0 out of 5 stars i love the lonely planet guides, 30 Oct. 2012
Great detail, maps and pictures! I have used these city guides in the past and am always pleased with them, I have tried others when this one didn't cover the city I needed but it just wasn't as good.

3.0 out of 5 stars Basic travel guide, 22 Mar. 2013
Small, compact but not the most informative lonely planet guide that I've purchased. In hindsight I should have bought the Morroco country guide which has more useful information for travellers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marrakesh, 6 Feb. 2013
Went to Marrackesh the back end of last year. Found the guide very useful although the bookshop recommended had been closed down by the authorities just before I arrived !

5.0 out of 5 stars A helpful guide, 20 Oct. 2012
Compact, which will be useful when travelling. Lots of useful information and photos to whet your appetite. Many maps and tips to help make the most of your trip.

5.0 out of 5 stars Go somewhere else, 26 Feb. 2014
The book is good, Marrakesh not so! We have passed this book onto friends to use it is very informative and a handy size.

Lonely Planet Marrakesh Encounter (Travel Guide)
Lonely Planet Marrakesh Encounter (Travel Guide) by Alison Bing (Paperback - 23 Sept. 2011)
Used & New from: £5.88