on 19 March 2012
It has been a great aid to helping choose a place to base ourselves on our forthcoming trip and to ensure we visit the best places- hope it lives up to it. The standard of writing seems better than earlier editions,as though professional writers have been hired.
on 13 August 2012
I'm usually a fan of the lonely planet guidebooks as the most useful to buy if you are travelling independently. However, there was something lacking about this particular one. I'm not sure exactly what it was, but I wasn't inspired by the book, nor did I find it especially useful. Perhaps it is the lack of colour photography, as the only colour in the book is in the highlights section at the front? Perhaps it is just that there isn't much of interest to say about Mallorca? It also had a real lack of decent maps. A pull out street map of Palma would have been useful, for example.

All in all this was one guidebook which spent most of the holiday just sat on the shelf, rather than being taken out with us.
on 5 April 2013
Having recently returned from Mallorca, I can recommend this book. I took 4 books on holiday as I was undecided and I was not sure which would be the most helpful. However, the Lonely Planet was the most useful, as it was detailed. The other books still had their strengths in particular the glossy photos (although some photos were a bit hyped up...)

If you are serious about 'touring' Mallorca, this is one book you should certainly have.

There are some aspects of this books which could be improved. The mountain tours are over ambitious, as the scenic tours have a lot winding curves, which means you must drive slow. Some of the drives are hundreds of kilometres (round trip). This is where I think the Thomas Cook is sensible as it breaks down tours into smaller manageable sections (in particular the mountain tours). You certainly are not going to be sightseeing if you arrive at 7pm and it is pitch dark.

The Lonely planet is on the only guide book to mention there are two caves in Porto Cristo. I wish I had read this section before going to the 'wrong' caves and you would be ripped off as they charge 21 compared to the superior (Drach caves) cost 14 and it includes a boat ride in the underground cave. The small Hams caves have leafelts which shows, boats but where are not any boat rides. None of the travel guide books mention you have to becareful of the road signs in Porto Cristo, as they all lead to the smaller Hams Caves.... A bit of tourist pitfall.

This books is by no means comprehensive. For instance, I quite like Port d'Andratx, but the most guide books dismissed it. Port d'Andratx may unassuming, but it was a relaxed and enjoyable place.... So I guess, the authors leave something for you to discover...
on 25 October 2012
Majorca has many hidden gems - this guide details all - very useful. So glad I purchased it before we went
on 17 May 2012
Used this recently bought guide on our trip to Mallorca. At times useful for general information but consistently inaccurate on rates and descriptions of accommodation. Not as comprehensive as it could have been, many cool places missed out.
on 27 August 2014
Another reasonably good guide from Lonely Planet. Some of the info is a bit out of date, but other than that, a must if you want to go off the tourist track and explore the real Majorca.
on 9 May 2014
Very good, some very beautiful places described in there. But kind of bothers me that almost every place is "perfect", "one of the most beautiful" and so on... :)
on 18 April 2014
Not a very useful guide, very vague in places, it really lacks detail. Could do with a better map too, ended up buying one whilst I was on holiday.
on 30 June 2013
We are going there as a family but all might want to see different places. This book provides a good idea of all that is availsble on the island.
on 29 November 2013
The book was good value, well written, easy to follow and offered clear advise for the traveller. I always carried it with me during our stay