5.0 out of 5 stars A must for your trip
It has been a great aid to helping choose a place to base ourselves on our forthcoming trip and to ensure we visit the best places- hope it lives up to it. The standard of writing seems better than earlier editions,as though professional writers have been hired.
Published on 19 Mar 2012 by Mr. Michael A. Hill

2.0 out of 5 stars A rare failure from the usually reliable lonely planet.
Published 20 months ago by LuckyA

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for your trip, 19 Mar 2012
This review is from: Lonely Planet Mallorca (Travel Guide) (Paperback)

2.0 out of 5 stars A rare failure from the usually reliable lonely planet., 13 Aug 2012
This review is from: Lonely Planet Mallorca (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
I'm usually a fan of the lonely planet guidebooks as the most useful to buy if you are travelling independently. However, there was something lacking about this particular one. I'm not sure exactly what it was, but I wasn't inspired by the book, nor did I find it especially useful. Perhaps it is the lack of colour photography, as the only colour in the book is in the highlights section at the front? Perhaps it is just that there isn't much of interest to say about Mallorca? It also had a real lack of decent maps. A pull out street map of Palma would have been useful, for example.

All in all this was one guidebook which spent most of the holiday just sat on the shelf, rather than being taken out with us.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 5 April 2013
This review is from: Lonely Planet Mallorca (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
Having recently returned from Mallorca, I can recommend this book. I took 4 books on holiday as I was undecided and I was not sure which would be the most helpful. However, the Lonely Planet was the most useful, as it was detailed. The other books still had their strengths in particular the glossy photos (although some photos were a bit hyped up...)

If you are serious about 'touring' Mallorca, this is one book you should certainly have.

There are some aspects of this books which could be improved. The mountain tours are over ambitious, as the scenic tours have a lot winding curves, which means you must drive slow. Some of the drives are hundreds of kilometres (round trip). This is where I think the Thomas Cook is sensible as it breaks down tours into smaller manageable sections (in particular the mountain tours). You certainly are not going to be sightseeing if you arrive at 7pm and it is pitch dark.

The Lonely planet is on the only guide book to mention there are two caves in Porto Cristo. I wish I had read this section before going to the 'wrong' caves and you would be ripped off as they charge 21 compared to the superior (Drach caves) cost 14 and it includes a boat ride in the underground cave. The small Hams caves have leafelts which shows, boats but where are not any boat rides. None of the travel guide books mention you have to becareful of the road signs in Porto Cristo, as they all lead to the smaller Hams Caves.... A bit of tourist pitfall.

This books is by no means comprehensive. For instance, I quite like Port d'Andratx, but the most guide books dismissed it. Port d'Andratx may unassuming, but it was a relaxed and enjoyable place.... So I guess, the authors leave something for you to discover...

5.0 out of 5 stars Majorca Guide, 25 Oct 2012
This review is from: Lonely Planet Mallorca (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
Majorca has many hidden gems - this guide details all - very useful. So glad I purchased it before we went

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 18 April 2014
Cat (England, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lonely Planet Mallorca (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
Not a very useful guide, very vague in places, it really lacks detail. Could do with a better map too, ended up buying one whilst I was on holiday.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mallorca travel guide, 17 Mar 2014
This review is from: Lonely Planet Mallorca (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
I bought this on spec with the knowledge that previous LP guides were good to excellent. I found this volume to be rather shallow particularly when dealing with the towns and villages in the interior of the island many of which seemed to be seeped in history. I would not have purchased this book had I previewed it at a bookshop.

5.0 out of 5 stars A guide that helps you explore Mallorca off the beaten track, 2 Mar 2014
This review is from: Lonely Planet Mallorca (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
I bought this guide last year before I went on holiday to Mallorca and have found it very helpful. It lists a number of great cycling routes across the island suitable for beginners with lower fitness levels and pros. We have tried some of the restaurants and cafes recommended in the guide and were very happy with the food and service!

3.0 out of 5 stars OK just not as good as DK, 17 Feb 2014
Usually use DK guidebooks as a rule but didn't have time to get one for this holiday. This lonely planet guide is certainly good enough and gave us some good background to read before we went and also helped on a couple of day trips. Just hard to get as excited about it as I do the DK guides I'm afraid. In fairness there is probably more information in theses (certainly more text) but I think what you get with DK is beautiful images that help bring your impending trip to life before you go and also help make sure you are looking at the right thing when you're stood in front of it (often you get an image of the building/artifact that you are reading about etc.). The last point is especially important the amount of times I've stood in front of a building with a guidebook in hand struggling to rationalise what I was reading about with what I was looking at....

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent travel info, 29 Nov 2013
This review is from: Lonely Planet Mallorca (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
The book was good value, well written, easy to follow and offered clear advise for the traveller. I always carried it with me during our stay

3.0 out of 5 stars Not enough detail, 23 Aug 2013
This review is from: Lonely Planet Mallorca (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
Bought this for our first trip to Mallora. While it was useful it would have been more benefit with more street names of places and some better maps. We had sat nav but without street names for markets etc it was no use for some places. Prices were incorrect but I wouldn't expect this to always be accurate. It gave us some good ideas of hings to do.

ARRAY(0xa52d4f60)

Lonely Planet Mallorca (Travel Guide)
Lonely Planet Mallorca (Travel Guide) by Ham (Paperback - 13 Jan 2012)
9.09