5.0 out of 5 stars an essential guide book
Needs up dating, but essential, if you are visiting more than one island and if you have a big enough weight allowance; if not take the Marco Polo series, which are cheaper and lighter. You need a good map too though, which Marco Polo has.
Published 18 months ago by Mr. John P. Clandillon

There comes a time in life where any lonely-planet traveler needs a quiet family holiday in the sun....

I was expecting this guide would cater for that adventurous traveler than now has a two year old child and needs some rest...but yet it does not want to get a package holiday.

I don't think this guide makes it at all.The maps are good, as always...
Published on 18 April 2012 by Di

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Canary Islands, not worth a lonely planet guide, apparently...., 18 April 2012
Di "Di" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lonely Planet Canary Islands (Travel Guide) (Paperback)

I don't think this guide makes it at all.The maps are good, as always with lonely planet, but the "where to stay" sections are really poor. It cost them nothing to list more hotels, and instead it recommends you to go to Thompson or TripAdvisor (great, is that why I buy the LonelyPlanet guide for?). Since booking directly with the hotel is cheaper, I was hoping getting the good advice from this guide. Not so.

What the guide transpires is that the LonelyPlanet writers are "too cool" for a holiday in the Canary Islands. They didn't want to write this guide, they would much rather be hiking in Vietnam.

Wait until you have small kids.

Honestly, LonelyPlanet could have made a bit of an effort on this one.

1.0 out of 5 stars First ever Lonely Planet book i didn't like, 21 Jan. 2013
Lars Stenbaek "Stenbæk" (Denmark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lonely Planet Canary Islands (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
The worst guide book for Gran Canaria I have seen. There is so much beauty on the island, great hikes and drives. And nothing is mentioned. Did the writers ever leave the south coast?
Normally I love LP books and use them as a bible while I travel. So this was a huge disappointment. Luckily we brought other great guide books.

2.0 out of 5 stars sorely disappointed in you LP, 11 April 2012
This review is from: Lonely Planet Canary Islands (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
I usually love LP as THE go to guide book, giving me an honest insight into a country and highlighting the "real" culture of the place away from the tourist trash. Sadly the problem with this book is that it covers too many Islands and so can't go into enough detail. If you buy this book, chances are you are going to just one of the Islands. So you spend 13 pounds on just 12 pages. Half the cities arent even mentioned, and when they are you get maybe 2 or 3 restaurant recommendations. and why is accomodation in a separate bit at the back? theres no continuity, not enough pictures (what happened to the old books with photo sections?). very disappointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Returned Kindle version, 17 Nov. 2012
I returned the Kindle version after a few minutes as for me it was unreadable. The contents page seemed to only cover a small portion of the book and search did not work. I was seeking specific information that did not appear to be there but when I 'flicked' through the pages I was sure there was more than I could get to from the contents page. Maybe it was just me, so thank you Amazon for refunding me without fuss.

5.0 out of 5 stars an essential guide book, 6 Sept. 2013

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointingly out of date, 21 July 2013
This review is from: Lonely Planet Canary Islands (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
This edition was published in January 2012, yet for La Gomera in several places it lists water taxi services between ports on the island.. which were discontinued in November 2008. Not something that it would be difficult for the editors to check up on. I suspect many of the reviews were similarly out of date:
- on La Palma the glowing "Top Choice" review for eating in the capital Santa Cruz - Taburiente - was sorely disappointing. Rather than the "traditional Canarian cuisine through and through", it was a choice of a great long list of meats all of which just got fried and served with chips.
- on Tenerife, "Restaurante Fortuna Nova" in Los Cristianos (described as "classically spanish") in fact served an uninspiring range of international food; I struggled to find much spanish stuff on the menu and what I had wasn't very good. Still a very nice shady terrace though.

Having said which, the guide was very useful in giving a good idea of how the islands differed both in culture, facilities and in what you might (or might not) be looking for. This seemed to tie in well with descriptions given to me by other people who had visited many of the islands. And don't let this put you off visiting the islands.. there are still wonderful places to visit, stay and eat - but perhaps more up-to-date review and search sites like tripadvisor and booking.com are more reliable.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bad purchase, 18 Nov. 2013
I bought this guide for my trip to Gran Canaria. The guide was useful to get a rough idea about the island itself and what to see. Nevertheless, once in Gran Canaria, it proved to be pretty useless. Something I always disliked about Lonely Planet guides is that they don't have road maps. I don't mean detailed ones, but at least something showing major roads and allowing you to reach your destination from the airport after a long journey without swearing multiple times. In the old days at least it used to have city maps for major cities. It was very disappointing to see that Telde, the second biggest city in Gran Canaria, wasn't considered to be important enough to deserve a map.
In my trip, I explored a lot of the inland. Very little was covered in this guide and made me really frustrated. Luckily I had road maps and another guide to help me. I wonder if having dedicated guides for the single islands instead of a comprehensive Canary Island one wouldn't be better, considering it is very unlikely that someone would visit more than one island in the average 7 days holiday.
Also, I purchased the kindle version of the guide, which wasn't very user friendly. There should be a quick, direct link to each island in the table of content, to make it easily accessible.
Overall, I think this guide can be useful to plan a trip, but it needs the addition of road maps and other more detailed guide books once you hit the islands.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could do better, 30 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Lonely Planet Canary Islands (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
I was a little disappointed as I expect a certain standard from LP. There was very little on places to stay/eat and that makes it difficult to know where one can go outside of the resorts. The information on local flora/fauna and things to see/do was good.

4.0 out of 5 stars I always choose Lonely Planet guides for preference, 6 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Lonely Planet Canary Islands (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
As usual lonely planet have produced a well researched and informative guide, although covering all the Canary Islands in one volume is quite ambitious i an sure we will find it useful when we cruise to the Canaries next winter (can't wait)

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful guide but could be better, 15 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Lonely Planet Canary Islands (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
Covering all of the Canary Islands in a single slim book is a tall order. Using this for a holiday in Gran Canaria I found it useful but short of detail and maps, normally such a strong plus of Lonely Planet guides. Very much geared to someone staying in Las Palmas whereas most visitors (including me) stay in the south of the island. Would be ideal for someone planning to visit several of the islands in one holiday.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Lonely Planet Canary Islands (Travel Guide)
Lonely Planet Canary Islands (Travel Guide) by Stuart Butler (Paperback - 13 Jan. 2012)