5.0 out of 5 stars Best Lonely Planet I have bought.
Published on 9 Jan. 2012 by Born to Travel

2.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive but not good for travelling with
It covers many countries but I expected more information with regards to tourism destinations. This book covered far too much information with regards to a country's history, heritage etc. Obviously it would be nice to read the odd paragraph here and there, but it's pages and pages of information which is not useful to me.

I can understand some places such as...
Published on 29 Jun. 2013 by P. Raval

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Lonely Planet I have bought., 9 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Lonely Planet Oman, UAE & Arabian Peninsula (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
I visited Abu Dhabi, Dubai and Oman in April/May 2011 and if we didn't have this book, we'd probably be lost in the desert somewhere. We hired a 4x4 and drove from Abu Dhabi to Al-Ain then into Oman to Muscat. We tried at several places to get a proper road map of Oman but NO petrol stations or bookshops stocked any! We relied solely on the maps in Lonely Planet to guide us through Oman for our 5 day trip. In these 5 days we drove through the Western and Eastern Hajar mountains, to Muscat, where the guidebook will tell you everything there is to know about the museums and local attractions. Then down the East coast to a secluded beach in Yitti where we camped for the night, and again the maps in the guidebook directed us there easily. Then further down the coast to Ras al Hadd and Ras al Jinz where you can watch Green turtles lay eggs on the beach, and watch hatchlings scurry into the sea. Again, the guidebook provides a lot of information on both of these destinations and the beaches and (few) hotels in the area.

At this point Osama Bin Laden had just been killed by the Americans and the news was all over every television in the Middle East. As my girlfriend is English, we decided to get back to Abu Dhabi as quick as possible, and we managed it in 2 days of driving with a stop at Niswa to see the fort. The maps showed us where local supermarkets were so we could stock up on supplies, and we stopped at recommended Wadi's (valleys) along the way, which were easy to get to following the directions in lonely planet, and were spectacularly beautiful.

I would buy this book for the maps and directions alone! Must have if you are planning on a road trip, which is by far the best way of exploring the middle east.

5.0 out of 5 stars Immensely useful and informative guide, 27 Feb. 2011
A. Owen "anthonymowen" (Orpington, England) - See all my reviews
I have recently returned from a cruise round the Arabian Peninsula starting and finishing in Dubai and calling at Fujairah and Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates and Muscat in Oman. This guide was exceptionally useful not least for its excellent maps. It made the cruise city tour in Muscat totally redundant. I was able to catch the shuttle bus from the ship to the dock gate, walk 100 metres to the fish market and a further few hundred metres to the museum and souk in the Mutrah district. I also made a 5 km walk to Old Muscat to view the fort, Sultan's palace and other sights. Jenny Walker and her fellow authors clearly have excellent knowledge and great affection for all the territories covered in the book which includes Oman, Saudi Arabia, Yemen and all the gulf states. The book covers history, politics, economy and facts and figures as well as all the holiday requirements such as hotels, beaches, restaurants and places to visit.

It was perfect to help select the best shore excursions from the cruise ship (or to go it alone) and it would be even more useful for anyone staying in one place and perhaps hiring a car to visit other parts of the peninsula. This guide may lack the glossy photographs of others but for country coverage and depth of information I don't think it can be beaten. The current edition was published in September 2010 and, despite the turmoil in Bahrain and Yemen, remains a brilliant reference book as well as a tour guide. It's probably the best guide book I have bought and I can thoroughly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Multi country guide, 3 April 2013
Me and my friend had an intention of visiting other Arabian Peninsula countries besides UAE, but eventually we ended up spending the four weeks in Abu Dhabi and Dubai. The book was still useful and didn't have the same information copy pasted from other UAE guide books.

Very good buy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Lonely Planet guides are reliable, 24 April 2013
bery reliable as usual from Lonely Planet, although Abu Dhabi is not covered in as much detail as i would like... saying that all the guides covering this area did not fulfill as much of Abu Dhabi's history culture as the locals would like you to know about gheir proud heritage and history

2.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive but not good for travelling with, 29 Jun. 2013
P. Raval (Leicester) - See all my reviews

I can understand some places such as Doha, Qatar which don't have many tourism spots, but I felt the authors were beefing it up as they didn't have much else to write about.

General information (such as currencies, local customs etc) is very good, however.

If you want to go somewhere like Dubai, purchase the dedicated Lonely Planet book for Dubai and Abu Dhabi and perhaps just use this for reference to other things.

4.0 out of 5 stars Usual informative Lonely Planet, 14 Mar. 2013
Not as up to date as it could be and some accommodation we expected to be in, missing, but, as ever, another informative LP guide. Still would like some colour maps, though!

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed with the section on Saudi Arabia, 10 Sept. 2013
The section on Saudi Arabia is very disappointing!! A very short section for Riyadh. Surely, there are more than 4 sights in Riyadh and more than 1 souq!
Hopefully I'll be able to put it to some use when I travel the rest of the region.

LP started out as a budget backpackers guide. Over recent years this seems to have changed. The hotels and restaurants are now more catered to the top end travelers.

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable guidebook, but too many countries in too little space, 27 Feb. 2011
BookWorm "BookWorm" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
As always with Lonely Planet, this guide is reasonably comprehensive and contains most of the practical information you need about the destination, along with potted history and some cultural commentary. There's also a chapter for ex-pats living in the area, which I imagine would be useful to those in that position or considering taking jobs there.

Because it covers multiple countries, there's less content on each destination than I would have liked. Some of these countries, notable Oman, deserve more than just a slim chapter in a multi-country guide. Getting all the information for 7 countries (admittedly some very small) into this relatively slim tome is a big ask and the result is a lack of detail on some of the more intersting sites, and even places/activities not mentioned.

The new style Lonely Planets have few photographs and many of these aren't particuarly informative, though the maps are generally good. Some of the information is out of date even though this is the newest edition. For a fast-moving and developing region such as the Peninsula it's worth checking out anything on which your trip hinges on the internet.

I preferred this guide to the Bradt one, even though it's less detailed, but you could always get both and make your own choice - then leave the other at home.

4.0 out of 5 stars Omani, 12 Oct. 2011
Great book full of historical facts along with current, useful information. Gives you useful knowledge for visiting the area including great places for memories to be made and wonderful photographs.

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful, 11 Mar. 2012
A very useful book. Giving us some good ideas for our visit to Oman. Also covers other countries in the area should we visit them some other time

Lonely Planet Oman, UAE & Arabian Peninsula (Travel Guide)
Lonely Planet Oman, UAE & Arabian Peninsula (Travel Guide) by Shearer (Paperback - 17 Sept. 2010)
Used & New from: £0.70