5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this book if you want to visit undiscovered Italy
I have just been on holiday to Basilicata over Easter and this book was a big help. We were initally looking to go to the Amalfi coast but found this book and changed our holiday plans.

Published on 18 April 2009 by Ms. E. Bennett

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice but no pics
It's got lots of information, but it's all a bit... joyless. No pics, nothing to whet the appetite, just pages and pages of drab black and white info. I imagine this is what travel books in the fifties were like.
Don't get me wrong, the content is fine, it's just that I want a little bit of excitement from my travel book.
The best reason to buy this book is that...
Published on 21 Feb 2011 by Parthian

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this book if you want to visit undiscovered Italy, 18 April 2009
Ms. E. Bennett (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Puglia and Basilicata (Lonely Planet Regional Guides) (Paperback)

Basilicata is quite rural and relatively poor region. There isn't much of a tourist scene going on although it is a gem of a place and there is SO MUCH to see. Without the book we would have missed so much of this amazing part of Italy. We managed to cover 2000 km during our week there and harldy saw any tourists at all ( I think we saw some in Matera ( a must see) and two on the last day!). If you want undiscovered Italy this is the book and the place for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars The best guide book on Puglia by far, 1 Aug 2011
Mr. Timothy Woffenden (Sevenoaks, Kent) - See all my reviews
We have just returned from a wonderful holiday based at Fasano in Puglia. We bought all of the available guides but this was the only one which was sufficiently detailed to enable us to make the most of our trip. Apart from a recommendation for a restaurant in Martina Franca which was closed, the restaurant suggestions were inspired. The portraits of the towns were well-written and accurately conveyed their atmosphere. None of the rival guides came near in terms of detail; for example only Lonely Planet described the lovely town of Polignano a Mare and mentioned the sensational restaurant in a sea cave there; only Lonely Planet mentioned the shack restaurants on the coast near Torre Canne, one of which provided a real treat for us. The Cadogan guide on Southern Italy is lightweight on much of Puglia. The Thomas Cook guide is better, but restaurant recommendations are thin. The Rough Guide on Italy is bulky and also lacks detail. In my opinion, only this guide is really worth taking. For five stars, please include more street plans so that sites and restaurants can be more easily found.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice but no pics, 21 Feb 2011
The best reason to buy this book is that that there isn't another one better, or at least none that I can find.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lonely Planet Guide to Puglia & Basilicata, 12 Oct 2010
Putting both areas together was too much. A guide about Puglia by itself would have been better with more detail about the areas between the larger towns. We were based near Lecce. The coast line north of Otranto was a bit of a dump and we would not recommend visiting, although some of the beaches were lovely once you had got through the poor housing and the rubbish. Admittedly we visited in October when the weather was lovely but 50 per cent of restaurants and hotels were closed. The coast between Santa Maria di Leuca and Port Cesareo appeared to be more attractive and more visitor friendly.

2.0 out of 5 stars doesn't paint an attractive picture, 18 July 2011
I lived in Italy for 4 years , my wife's family are from Puglia .
This guide doesn't entice the reader - no examples of meals in family run masserie , deserted beaches , fascinating old olive groves , disney-esque appearance of the Valle d'Itria , teaming markets , deserted towns out in the pastoral depths , road signs that are useless ,vast array of delicious fruits , locals that are old-world-courteous , stately festivals with just-in-key bands ,9.30pm music events which the musicians don't start arriving at until after 10pm , ice creams on sweltering days that stay with you for life ... and , no , they don't speak english .
So , go.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lonely Planet Puglia, 27 Aug 2010
J. C. Ansell "slooj1963" (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
A comprehensive guidebook:
# Basic information easily accessible
# Useful colour picture section of regional highlights
# Very thorough coverage of each place

The only criticism is that I would disagree with some of the points of interest that were highlighted that were not as good as built up to be by the guide. I have found this to the case with LP Guides over the years, so perhaps take descriptions with a pinch of salt at times. Otherwise, one of the best guides out there.

3.0 out of 5 stars Handy book but some mistakes, 24 Oct 2010
As an independent traveller to southern Italy for the first time, going it alone on public transport, I thought a guide book might come in handy. However there are some mistakes in this book - buses being confused for trains and vice versa! (because some of the services operate both). I was lucky not to miss any connections but there were a few close calls because of this so be warned. Otherwise I would say public transport is do-able (I don't drive so no choice there) but always helpful to get a local to help you out with this in case you overlook any codes/abbreviations that might not be easily understood on a timetable. I knew next to no Italian and I got by - if you're up for trying to learn some, note that this book doesn't have much in the way of language - some basic but also some basic phrases not there too so I would recommend you get a separate phrase book. Otherwise the bits of the book that I used were okay... Last tip - they really don't speak much English in the south!

2.0 out of 5 stars Very limited, 28 July 2010
I chose this having found LP's pretty good in the past (previous edition for Georgia and Azerbaijan excepted) but this was disappointing. Information on most of the places we visited was scanty, B&Bs long closed or not where marked, and the authors' personal tastes too prominent. I wondered why the one author with proper local knowledge only contributed to the food section (by far the best bit).

3.0 out of 5 stars Puglia and Basilicata Lonely Planet, 23 Sep 2009
G. Dodd "Ger Dodd" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
Information on trains and stations in the 2008 edition was out of date, while the correct information was contained in the Puglia section of the 2003 edition of the Rough Guide to Italy!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 16 April 2012
This book is now dog eared we used it that much. We spent a week driving all around Puglia and this book gave us our main overnight stopping places and pointed out some places we hadn't thought of. The description of the places bettered in many cases the official internet sites. I would recommend this book to anyone hoping to visit this beautiful region of Italy

Puglia and Basilicata (Lonely Planet Regional Guides)
Puglia and Basilicata (Lonely Planet Regional Guides) by Olivia Pozzan (Paperback - 1 Feb 2008)
Used & New from: 35.75