on 20 January 2009
Just back from three weeks touring the Yucatan and this guide book was very helpful for Cancun, Cozmel, and the Rivera Maya. However, it was not sufficient the greater Yucatan. For that recommend Yucatan (Lonely Planet Regional Guides). You also should get a copy of the thriller hit A Tourist in the Yucatan for some great beach reading!.
on 25 October 2010
Brilliant book, full of information.
Fairly straight basic, mainly B and W but full
of sound up to date information. Not so colourfull
as some but nonetheless very usefull.
Good promp service from supplier and good price.
(Do shop around)
on 20 November 2012
We used this guide for our 14 days trip around Yucatan peninsula and we did not have any problem. There are nearly up to date information but the prices for entrances on ruins had increased slightly. We found it very useful. There are good tips where to go as well as maps of that areas. The only thing which I quite did not like about this book is that only the first few pages are colourful and the rest is boring grey. But overall we were very happy with this product.
on 11 October 2009
Just came back from holiday from september to october 2009. I have used the most recent version (edition 2008). For getting around a country a guide book has been very helpfull in the past, I loved lonely planets for this. But this edition send us absolutely to the wrong places.

For the northern part it was correct, although a bit sparse on background information about the different cities. But it really went downhill when we went to ciudad del carmen. Near this place, in laguna de terminos you could kayak your way through mangroves and spot turtles etc. And it even said so on the overview map on page 3. But first of all the city isn't as charming as described, everybody asked us what we were doing there (because there was nothing to do or see). The tourist office only spoke spanish and didn't know a thing about the kayak thing. So we went to puerto real, a very small place (why it made the main map I dont know). Same thing there, nobody knew about kayaking. Because they want to help we were sent all over town and still got nowhere.
Yes you probably can kayak here, of you are one of those lucky tourist who visits countries with his own 4 meter long and 1 meter wide kayak then you can go here, otherwise don't bother. Relying on the LP costed us 2 days of our holiday and a very large detour.

Near calakmul we understood how some of the information was gathered for this edition, by asking at hotels and not visiting the sites themselves. In this hotel we checked the Moon-guide, it was very helpfull for the rest of our trip. Because here it told us about mahahual which is a very nice snorkleplace in mexico near the belizean border. It was very very sparsely covered in our edition.
Here we learned the writer visited this site a few weeks after the hurricane hit, talked to one person only!!! and wrote this down! About 1 and a half years later this book was published. Probably not exemplary for all of the book, but parts of it are very badly researched!

In my opinion that's how accurate the information was.

I advise using the moonguide for this part of mexico!
A shame, for Senegal and Sri Lanka I swore by the LP, but now my views have changed because of this book.
Dont buy it.
on 17 February 2013
I wanted this book for planning a trip to the Riviera Maya - going down the coastline south of Cancun and so far it seems to be really helpful. I always go for the Lonely Planet books and so far have not been disappointed. This guide gives you info on accommodation, how to travel between places, what to look out for, what to avoid, restaurants and places to see. We have booked 2 out of 3 hotels that were recommended in this guide. We initially struggled with choosing accommodation in Isla Mujeres as the places recommended had differing views with Trip Advisor but would advise looking at the B&B options on Trip Advisor too as there are some really cute places that seem to offer character at cheap prices too. The guide also has some beautiful pictures at the start to get you inspired & excited about the destinations, as well as background info on dishes to try, and the culture/history which I always like to read too.
on 15 January 2010
This is a very useful book for these specific regions of Mexico. Besides the tips and ideas for tours, it even has a spanish-english dictionary also with useful sentences. The book is easy to carry and be with the traveler all the time.
on 23 October 2015
Great travel guide. Missed a few not so "touristy" sites but of course... I love discovering those on my own.
on 23 October 2014
Book was in perfect condition. Delivery was a little slow but all in all a great purchasr. Thanks
on 14 December 2012
Bought this book before spending 2 weeks in Cancun and Cozumel. I thought that the book could have had a lot more information in it about restaurants and top end hotels, given that it is about a province in Mexico rather than a whole country.

Other than that is was generally quite useful. It could do with a update even though it is dated 2010.
on 19 November 2015
But tatty and lots of highlighting in it