4.0 out of 5 stars Appealing Andalucia
Just back from Jerez and this was the only guide book I found that had anything in detail on that area. The recommendations were useful and background info very helpful. We used it most days and I'd happily recommend it to anyone new to the area.

Published on 13 Aug 2010

1.0 out of 5 stars New LP layout a let-down
Published on 29 Mar 2011 by zeemzee

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars New LP layout a let-down, 29 Mar 2011
This review is from: Andalucia (Lonely Planet Country & Regional Guides) (Paperback)
Having relied on LP for all my trips over the past ten years or so, I am highly disappointed in this guide. It might not be the content but the layout has been changed so much, it is not user-friendly if you have been using LP guides for a longer period of time. The "Getting Started" section is terrible with one page with illustrations dedicated to the arts, architecture etc, and the transport section has very limited information. Due to past reviews, I also bought the 2007 edition which has a better map, a railroad map and the layout LP has established itself with. Shame it's a waste of money...

4.0 out of 5 stars Appealing Andalucia, 13 Aug 2010
A Kid's Review

We also went to Cadiz for the day and followed the rec for somewhere to eat - the Tapas Bar was spot on ... (There was a group of Spanish students poring over this book at the next table!)

We had not realised what a big area Andalucia is and by reading this I now have a better idea of new places to go. However, I think there is still room in the market for a much bigger and more detailed book of this magical part of Spain.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Qualified Recommendation, 19 July 2007
Steve Keen "therealus" (Herts, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Despite an unusually high number of flaws, this is nevertheless a book that will help you get the most out of your time in Andalucia.

Perhaps I just expect too much of Lonely Planet (LP), but it's their own fault. They've stood by me so many times in so many different places in the past that I was beginning to take everything they told me as The Only Advice In Town. So when I arrived in Seville I quickly got into the LP groove and hit La Bella Estrella, a "jazz bar".

Well, perhaps I'd arrived the day they buried the proprietor, but there was no jazz going on there, so off I went to Naima Café Jazz, happily only about five doors away down Calle Trajan. A bit better, but still not the place I expected based on LP's description. I reckon a good-sized drum kit would have excluded any customers, so how they have live music in there I'm not sure, but at least they were playing some nice sounds, and they pay homage to the greats (Trane, of course, Miles, etc), though also not so greats (GURU? Gimme a break! This has to be Sevillano humour) in pictures on the wall. LP's much-vaunted "friendly staff" at Naima had either gone home or gone AWOL, shouting into a mobile on the steps outside, ignoring the stream of customers entering and then leaving in disgust. In fairness, the guy's as nice as pie when he returns to take my money, and his mate a couple of nights later is all attention, and merits a tip. Still no live music, but this is all the same a cool place to hang out to just chill and have a couple of cervezas. LP just need to make that clear.

So across the road diagonally to the Alameda de Hercules (where you can see LP's point about the boho crowd) and the newly opened Diablito. So it's not in LP, and nor is the makeover currently under way in the Alameda. Nice food, rubbish busker, who luckily stays no more than ten minutes, gets no tips, and splits.

This is something else not in LP: a warning of the constant stream of panhandlers in attendance should you dine al fresco. At a restaurant opposite the cathedral characterised only by lousy service and horrendous self-regard, the bums were apparently queuing round the corner. One of them stood for all of thirty seconds and embarked on a travesty of a flamenco chant, received no tips, and left. Two minutes later he strolls by with wife in tow and shopping in hand.

Next day, off I go looking for the nearest flamenco, at Sol Café Cantante. It's now a theatre called Sala O Cero. No flamenco apparent. I defy LP and book up for a tourist trap (LP can get really inverted snob on you when they want to), recommended by the friendly hotel staff at Hotel Cervantes (a Best Western, so no mention in LP), called Tablao El Arenal, which doesn't merit a listing in LP but is excellent, with all the "duende" (spirit) they describe. Totally spellbinding. And there are plenty of Spanish suckers in there too, so I feel happy it's an equal opportunities "con".

Talking of cons, many Spanish (not just Sevillano) shopkeepers are so paranoid about credit card fraud they ask for ID, so if you're a Brit you'll need a driving licence or passport. Some shops are catching up on chip and pin, but even El Corte Ingles hasn't at time of writing. Again, LP don't seem to have this down.

In most other respects though it's spot on. The Giralda is amazing, the Alcazar awesome, the Plaza de España kind of gaudy and breathtaking in its pretensions but well worth the visit just for the scale of its adventure. LP also brings to your attention the Tobacco Factory and explains the contrast between the ornate renaissance end of the ayuntamiento and its plain 19th century extension.

It mentions the several bridges over the Guadalquivir, though it fails to mention the diversity of their design. It gets the maritime museum at the Torre D'Oro, but omits to mention the boat tours down the Guadalquivir that start from there.

There are interesting little asides like the origin of the chess term "checkmate" (Arabic sheikh, Spanish matar, to kill, apparently). Notes on the architecture which are more than enough for a casual observer such as me. Probably the best notes on wildlife I've read in an LP (including the local names, which is nice). The history of flamenco, kind of compensating for the duff advice on where to go see it. You are enjoying the place before you even arrive, but as reading the book post-dated my first visit, it also helped me appreciate places I'd already been a little more, such as Ronda.

It also helped me choose a couple of out-of-town excursions, such as a visit to Cordoba (the heads-up on the fast AVE trains helps; so does the description of the Mezquita).

Sometimes the writing suffers from sketchy directions, such as those to the visitor centre for Doñana at La Pueblo del Rio. The road number also seems to have changed, but that's also something the Rough Guide Map misses.

Oh, and Seville is just about to get a brand new tram system.

Time and Seville have not, it seems, been kind to LP. Even though my copy is from as recent as 2006, and I was in Seville in July 2007, the march of time is already demanding a new edition.

However, with some qualification, this book is still worth having as a useful basis for your trip. Just don't believe everything you read!

1.0 out of 5 stars The worst travel guide ever, 6 Sep 2010
I've bought this travel guide for my 2 weeks holidays out of which I was going to spend a week by the sea in Costa del Sol and another week - travelling around Andalucia.

I couldn't believe my eyes but Costa del Sol chapter had a 'whole' sentence dedicated to it - 'horrible, terrible, don't go there'. Well, I am going there because I need cheap holidays and some sun and I feel like I wasted my money on this book as I still have no clue where to stay, what to see etc.

I would not recommend buying this book under any circumstances.

2.0 out of 5 stars My first poor Lonely Planet guide - Andalucia, 3 Aug 2009
/n (London, England) - See all my reviews
I always buy a Lonely Planet's guide for every holiday.
As every Lonely Planet's reader know it helps you for accommodations, locations, restaurants, entertainment, etc...
It provides you with good descriptions and precise locations and until now it never let me down.
Unfortunately this doesn't apply for this Andalucia's guide!
First of all the copy that I received was a 2007 one! So some places weren't there any more...
Secondly the hotel's descriptions let me down more than once. Ending in places described as 'folsky' just plain, poor and decadent.
The maps provided were sometime in a too large scale leaving you wandering in the cities without any idea of where you were because there were no street names but just the main ones.
Also more then once a restaurant or hotel's address was missing!
Good description, nice place... 'mmmh this sounds good, let's go there!'
'Oh, there's no address!!'
How can you find a place when they just tell you 3km out of Tarifa!? What about an address?

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Buy It, 12 Sep 2011
usually lonleyplanet are good guide books!
but this one unfotunatlly doesnt meet the standard they have achieved so far!
lots of nice areas missing !
lots of bad one listed !
very few photos !
bad choise of restaurants and hotels !

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 22 May 2011
This is probably the worst lonely planet book i have ever read. Information is scattered arojund all over the place. Poor layout with hotels listed at the back. Confusing Highlights section with stuff repeated. Eating renamed "Gastronomic Highlights"????!! Pretty much nothing on the costa del sol. This one will end up at my local charity shop and i'll replace it with the footprint book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lonely Planet Andalucia guide, 11 Aug 2010
Patrick E. Ford (uk) - See all my reviews
I Bought this guide, simply because I have always considered LP guides to be pretty comprehensive and accurate. As a regional guide, ie not covering an entire country, this is pretty good and a useful lead in and prompt to the highlights. I do not believe in a guide that tells you how to do everything, removing any need to discover things for yourself. This guide does not have the detail of the country guides, which might put some off but on the whole, in my view, good value at 7.00.

1.0 out of 5 stars not for serious independant travellers!, 9 April 2011
A. J. MEARS "john m" (devon uk) - See all my reviews
AFTER A LIFETIME USING LONELY PLANET GUIDES AS AN AID TO SURVIVAL IN UNFAMILIAR SURROUNDINGS I AM DUMBFOUNDED! IS THIS INTENDED FOR PEOPLE ON A COACH TOUR FOR A LITTLE BACKGROUND INFO AS THEY GLIDE THROUGH A COUNTRY? IS IT JUST TO LEAVE ON YOUR COFFEE TABLE TO IMPRESS YOUR FRIENDS? WHAT IT ISN'T IS A USEFUL SOURCE OF TRIED AND TESTED LOCAL INFORMATION! YOU HAVE SHAKEN THE FOUNDATIONS OF MY WORLD BY SELLING OUT YOUR PRINCIPLES PRODUCING THIS! LUCKILY SOMEONE HAS GIVEN ME A COPY OF THE 2004 EDITION, SO I WILL TAKE MY LUCK WITH THAT, EVEN IF THE PRICES HAVE CHANGED AND SOME PLACES CLOSED DOWN, IT WILL BE A FAR SUPERIOR PRODUCT!

1.0 out of 5 stars Completely out of date and very skimpy on details, 30 Aug 2011
Revised and published in January 2010, this guide proved to be so out of date by August 2011 I quickly stopped taking it around. The maps are not detailed enough to be helpful, no history is explained, the Spanish phrase book section is minimal and pretty much every single detail, from a phone number for the Alsa station to opening hours were out of date.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Andalucia (Lonely Planet Country & Regional Guides)
Andalucia (Lonely Planet Country & Regional Guides) by Anthony Ham (Paperback - 1 Jan 2010)
12.91
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available