5.0 out of 5 stars So much fun!!, 5 Feb 2009
Kathleen D. Walsh (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Me, Myself And Prague (Paperback)
What a fabulous introduction to a beautiful city. I devoured the book on the plane from Sydney to Prague (via about 10 cities) and enjoyed reliving the stories once I got there. So much fun!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A little treasure, 23 Jan 2009
This review is from: Me, Myself And Prague (Paperback)
After MONTHS of waiting to get the book (ordered through Amazon UK since Amazon US was useless), it took me just two days to read it. I could not put it down - yesterday, I went to bed at 5 in the morning. What can I say? In years, I have not had the pleasure of reading a fiction that captivated me so much and made me laugh so hard. Not only that, Rachael Weiss has given me a lot of pleasure with a very honest way she used to describe her own doubts, fears and hopes of being a newcomer to Prague. And her thoughtful and witty English is refreshing, especially after reading bland books written by American authors. After listening to my ravings, my wife was trying to confiscate the book while I was reading it - she is truly eager to start reading it. So, thank you Rachel very much for a gift you have given to us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great background info for expats!!, 1 Jun 2009
Jane De Witte (Belgium) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Me, Myself And Prague (Paperback)
Rachael did a great job in describing the expatriate life in Prague, Czech Republic. A must for everyone who's thinking of moving over there for a short or longer period. Although it's not a tourist guide (no maps nor detailed descriptions of points of interest), even tourists can benefit from it when reading it up front. It can help them when dealing with locals in stores, restaurants, pubs etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful introduction to life in Prague, 23 Mar 2009
Daniela Avitabile (Rome, Italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Me, Myself And Prague (Paperback)
As soon as I heard about this book on expats.cz, I knew I had to read it. I ordered it because I, too, am going to be moving to Prague in the near future, and I too am a person of half-Czech descent, like Rachael Weiss. I was eager to read about her experiences. I can enthusiastically say I wasn't disappointed. Rachael's depiction of life as a foreigner in Prague made me remember some of my own experiences (during my trips there), and made me discover others. The book is funny and witty, but also very sensitive and touching. I would recommend it as a very pleasant book to anyone, not only those who are part Czech or are planning to live there.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for armchair travellers everywhere, 4 Feb 2009
Jo Chipperfield (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Me, Myself And Prague (Paperback)
To date I've bought and given away three copies of this marvellous book because people keep finding it on my bookshelf and getting engrossed in it! Me, Myself and Prague is a fabulous blend of travel, self-discovery and comedy, and I think it's the last point that really makes this book stand out.

Rachel's first book, 'Are We There Yet?' (with Julie Adams), was a laugh-out-loud trek around Australian motels and hotels in the vain hope of finding somewhere singles friendly (i.e where honeymooning couples don't keep you up with a rhythmic banging all night or the irritating results of that activity get under your feet with their toys at breakfast). This second book is where Rachel really gets into her stride.

There's more depth here than in your average travel narrative, certainly more (and more effective) humour, and more honesty - without the preaching that so many travel writers fall into. Mind you, I hesitate to say travel writer because I do think Rachel is a comedy writer first and foremost, and that's a tough, tough thing to pull off. It does mean this book (and Are We There Yet) gets randomly shelved in bookshops.

Why are you still reading the reviews? Buy it already!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious and unexpectedly moving, 7 Jan 2009
This review is from: Me, Myself And Prague (Paperback)
Rachael Weiss is a born storyteller, and this is an absorbing and wickedly funny account of her year as an Australian runaway in Prague. Weiss comes to Prague with plans to explore her Czech heritage and avoid her over-achieving family. She has lofty visions of days spent writing her novel in charming, dimly lit cafes and evenings drinking wine with dashing strangers.

Fortunately for her readers, none of this pans out. And instead of the
images of Prague as an unobtrusive, romantic backdrop that we've come to expect in travel writing, she gives us the lowdown on a city that's a lot weirder and more interesting. Fresh from the Communist past, it's full of concrete housing estates and crabby shop assistants and sex-starved expats, who turn out to be her people.

All in all, this is an unblinking and often hilarious account of modern expat life. Having spent a bit of time abroad myself, I was thrilled to see the experience depicted in all its ridiculous and infantilising detail. And I found the ending, like Weiss's honesty, very moving. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspiring and life changing book, 17 Aug 2011
Mabbers (Bratislava, Slovakia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Me, Myself And Prague (Paperback)
I was leant this book whilst staying in Prague with a friend who is also a friend of the author. At the time I was considering some life changes and having been to Prague to stay with friends a number of times I read this book and Rachel gave me the faith that I could do it myself. I always thought that the language difficulties would be too great but this book is very realistic about the difficulties of living abroad in a very different culture. Her description of the supermarket checkout girl is so accurate that I am often still reminded of it when I am being served, because, having been inspired by this book with its heart and humour, I got home and applied for jobs all over Europe and am currently residing in Bratislava, Slovakia. Not quite Prague but still interesting and very different to the UK! I would really recommend this book for anyone who enjoys well written stories, travel or is considering moving somewhere very different!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nor your typical travel book, 22 Dec 2008
This review is from: Me, Myself And Prague (Paperback)
Rachael Weiss is an Australian who wanted to discover the country of her father (Czech Republic). Initial romantic dreams are quickly slapped on the head, and reality sets in. The architecture is stunning, the lifestyle relaxed, but my god the people are a grumpy lot. Seeking temporary comfort in Prague's expat community, Rachael finds a colourful bunch of likable misfits, each adding to the humour and warmth of her story. The book doesn't so much end on a happy note as an honest and uplifting one. It was only when I put the book down that I realised I had been reading non-stop, from dawn till dusk, and been wrapped up in the places, the characters, and Rachael herself. A lovely book. Highly recommended.

Me, Myself And Prague
Me, Myself And Prague by Rachael Weiss (Paperback - 1 Jan 2009)
8.99