4.0 out of 5 stars Very Useful but flawed in places.
Having just come back from a tour of Eastern Europe for a second time with this book I would say;

Do buy it, and take it but only if visiting more than one country as LP publish concise volumes for each country (this volume weighs about a kilo but covers everything east of Germany and includes Russia).

There are several contributors to LP guide books...
Published on 10 May 2011 by A. S. Edwards

3.0 out of 5 stars very helpful, except some mistakes and too personal opinions
Published on 10 Aug. 2011 by Melike

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Useful but flawed in places., 10 May 2011
A. S. Edwards (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eastern Europe (Lonely Planet Multi Country Guides) (Paperback)

There are several contributors to LP guide books - this is where my travel companion and I think the flaws emerge. Hungary for example has four contributors and we found this section useful with no contradictions. The Ukraine for example only has one - this was where we found the book fell down. One of the most impressive monuments and museums in Eastern Europe hardly gets a mention. Some of the recommended bars and restaurants were slightly disappointing and equally surprising we found some excellent places not included.

Overall however it's been useful - each country gets a good historical run down and a few (though not many) key phrases which always help. Accommodation and places to see are also included. Lonely Planet maintains it's no-nonsense simple to read info and also includes city centre maps.

You will however in most European countries be able to pick up maps and even 'what to see' leaflets and guides from a hostel or tourist information which are in English so you can leave the book for the day.

It certainly proved useful as a 'look forward' on the train or bus before we arrived and carried some useful warnings about scams etc.

At the price you may as well take it.

3.0 out of 5 stars very helpful, except some mistakes and too personal opinions, 10 Aug. 2011
We had a 3 week trip in Bulgaria, Romania and Hungary. The book is quite helpful; yet not complete. We had some terrible experiences in some hotels and places they recommended. It was as if some authors had good deals with the owners and exaggerated his opinions in the book. I felt as if they had to give more details about the transport such as "warning" or "watch out", which was extremely poor in Romania. I also found lots of personal opinions which is OK because this is what LP is! However, judgements and some negative-like criticism about my country made me feel offended.
The book as it covers lots of countries is very limited. That's why,I can say that it was OK as we stayed only one week in each country. However, if you want to see the details, I strongly suggest you to buy the books separately.

4.0 out of 5 stars Filled with plenty of info!, 7 Aug. 2010
Mr. N. Cook "Japan is my oyster" (Guildford, Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
Brilliant guide, filled with all the nesessary info you could possibly need. I am travelling to Sarajevo soon and this guide has helped me no end. Invaluble to anyone travelling to anywhere in Eastern Europe.

4.0 out of 5 stars The guide for backpackers, 12 Dec. 2010
I bought this guide for 2010 summer holidays (2009 edition). I visited Bulgaria, Romania, Ucrania, Hungary and Poland, a backpacking travel. I found it very useful, but like in other Lonely planet Guides there is always a bit of outdated information. For example, in Bucharest there is a hostel listed on the guide wich was closed 2 years ago.

There is plenty of information on cheap hostels, nice places to eat and transportation information was clear and useful.

If you plan to visit these countries, this guide is THE GUIDE.

5.0 out of 5 stars Concise and money saver, 22 Jan. 2012
J. Maddison (uk) - See all my reviews
Very good guide. Has very useful money saving tips so it more then paid for itself. Was invaluable in planning my trip and the information in it gave me the confidence to change my plans as i went along, safe in the knowledge that i would find something of interest and could find a bed for the night. It covered all the major attractions in countries i visited (8)and i found the information precise and up to date.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Price, Fast Post and Great Seller, 16 Feb. 2014
I bought this book to travel from Russia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria. It was very good price and condition and was posted very quickly.
I found it useful as a base guide to areas I've never been before and is good to take notes of certain requirements before travelling.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great resource!, 16 Jun. 2011
As usual Lonely Planet provides amazing info on a number of countries. Really well organized with the cross-referencing. Of course I haven't gone to these countries yet, so we'll see how the info works out actually 'on the ground'.

3.0 out of 5 stars Eastern Europe (Lonely Planet Multi Country Guide), 17 Jan. 2011
P. Mayhew - See all my reviews
Useful book, but totally let down by the city / street maps. They are too impossibly small to read. I had to carry a microscope with me, but even then I didn't cope.

Another problem (though perhaps not the Lonely Planet's fault) was that in Eastern Europe, the street signs are in local languages. The Lonely Planet often (usually?) did not give these.

Other than being substantially let down by the street / attractions maps, the guide was useful. The 'highlight's / 'cultural history' sections etc were good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 16 Dec. 2010
The Eastern Europe guide is a great buy - well written and succinct while keeping an informal tone. Good value on Amazon also at about 60% of the price in stores. I would recommend it to anyone planning a trip to eastern europe or any avid armchair traveller!

4.0 out of 5 stars A partial review, 28 July 2010
I only used the sections of this book on Bulgaria, Romania and Hungary. I found them mostly very good but I have to say that the Bulgaria section was lacking a lot of useful information and some of it was just plain wrong. Sometimes I had to flick through several sections related to the start and end points of a journey to get the whole story as I found differing getting there/away information in each section. The sections on the other countries were good and concise, giving enough useful information.

Eastern Europe (Lonely Planet Multi Country Guides)
Eastern Europe (Lonely Planet Multi Country Guides) by Mara Vorhees (Paperback - 1 Sept. 2009)
Used & New from: £0.46