5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic guide
Published on 18 Aug 2008 by Shauna Brown

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the standard I would expect...
I think the writer has a downer on tourists and tourist areas. We visited places which in this book were disparaged, and yet we found such towns and areas to be quaint, beautiful and delightful, e.g. Pano Platres in the Troodos Massif.

Published on 29 Aug 2011 by sawfeet

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic guide, 18 Aug 2008
Shauna Brown (UK) - See all my reviews
Before I bought this book there were loads of other customer reviews (don't know why there are none today) with varied opinions - quite a few negative ones, so I ended up buying the Eyewitness Travel guide and the AA spiral guide instead. Whilst the Eyewitness book is lovely to look at having so many colour photos and th AA book is a handy size, I have to say that I ended up buying the Lonely Planet guide as well as it has far more detailed information about the island eg history, costs, restaurants, just everything really. It is written by someone who has tried and tested all that the island has to offer and its detailed reviews entice you to go and try for yourself. It really is a far more superior guide, though admittedly not so attractive to look at.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good guide., 2 Dec 2008
The shame about this book is the lack of pictures to put with all the described places. Everything else is very good and useful. Its tells of the history, culture and public holidays of Cyprus and contains lots of maps and tourist information. It also has a menu reader and contains a dictionary and phrases in both Greek (for the South) and Turkish (for the North).

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what we needed to explore the island, 25 April 2010
This review is from: Cyprus (Lonely Planet Country Guides) (Paperback)
It was our first visit to Cyprus so we started off knowing almost nothing about the island. This book told us all we needed to know and much more besides. After a few general chapters, the bulk of the book is arranged by region, so once you have decided to visit any location you can read about other points of interest that you will find along the way. If you do not know where to start, try the list of "Top Picks" of Deserted beaches (self-defeating perhaps) or Ancient sites (plenty to choose from). Buy this book before you book your hotel, the advice on hotels seemed sound and (fortunately) confirmed the decision we had already made.

On our way back from Troodos, the book told us that a small detour would take us past some bridges, built by Venetian traders when they ruled the island (1489-1571). The first two bridges, just off the main road are almost intact, spanning the river with elegant Gothic arches. Our hunt for the third bridge was made more interesting by the island's general lack of sign posting and our only map, provided free by the car-hire company. After an epic journey making considerable use of 4-wheel drive we found the third bridge, in the style of the other two but less well preserved and now by-passed by the river. While trying to get home, we found a fourth bridge.

Cyprus has so much to offer and this little book has a mass of interesting and useful information about it. I can thoroughly recommend the book but do also buy a proper road map.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the standard I would expect..., 29 Aug 2011
This review is from: Cyprus (Lonely Planet Country Guides) (Paperback)

The writer appears to aim reviews at places frequented by hikers and seasoned explorers. Bit weird given books like this are aimed at tourists to boost sales!
I'll stick with Rough Guides in future because no matter what the writers' political bent is, they are packed with useful information on places to visit and don't thumb their nose at the folk who visit countries to enjoy and explore 'touristy' areas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cyprus travel guide, 5 Nov 2009
William Phelps (Cardiff) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cyprus (Lonely Planet Country Guides) (Paperback)
I cannot sing the praises of the Lonely Planet guides too highly and this Cyprus guide certainly lived up to the Lonely Planet reputation. I found it to be fairly comprehensive on the places that we visited and felt that we hadn't missed anything after our stay there was finished. A highly recommended guide.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing book by someone who doesn't seem to like most parts of Cyprus, 17 May 2010
This review is from: Cyprus (Lonely Planet Country Guides) (Paperback)
I always buy Lonely Planet guide books and really like the layout of them. I got the LP Cyprus guide automatically, without checking out the alternatives. This Lonely Planet book though was sadly lacking in detail, and the author poured scorn on so many parts of the country that it really was not an effective guide.

I was staying in Aphrodite Hills, a 5 star resort which is probably the largest on the island. It was not even mentioned in the book. Hardly any of the local things to do were mentioned (probably too low-brow), many of the local towns had little or no practical information about them (i.e no hotels or shops mentioned), the maps were not much use, and Paphos seemed to deserve only derision from the author. I knew that parts of Cyprus were rather over-developed and less authentic than others, but as the majority of tourists to Cyprus will stay in or near Paphos or Larnaca I do think that these resorts need to be covered in more detail, distasteful though their existence may be to some. You cannot simply deny the existence of the Paphos Debenhams and hope it will go away. Some people might actually need to go there.

We did visit a restaurant recommended by the author in a small village about 30 minutes from Paphos and it was really excellent, so found the guidebook useful in that one regard.

General visitors to Cyprus should probably look for a different guide book although I'm not sure many good ones exist. Certainly those needing information about hotels, restaurants and shops in or near resort areas will not find this one very forthcoming.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not updated, 18 Jun 2013
This review is from: Cyprus (Lonely Planet Country Guides) (Paperback)
I love Lonely Planet Guides and i love the design and ease of use of it, however it needs to be updated. Information is very old and as a result it is describing places and shop that no longer exist or have in the mean time changed completely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Guides, 6 Mar 2013
This review is from: Cyprus (Lonely Planet Country Guides) (Paperback)
Another great and informative publication by Lonely Planet. Don't know what we'd done without the Travel Bible? We found all the info needed for a great, independent holiday.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good on all counts, 4 Oct 2011
C. F. Nolan "colinnolan" (Lancs) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cyprus (Lonely Planet Country Guides) (Paperback)
As you would expect from Amazon and Lonely Planet. Fast delivery and the usual top notch country guide from LP. Will be visiting Cyprus for the first time later this month and feel sure the guide will be well used.

5.0 out of 5 stars sneaky, 14 July 2011
This review is from: Cyprus (Lonely Planet Country Guides) (Paperback)
All you need in a handy little book, packed with history and small notes you don't want to travel without. Get more from your travel with this marvelous book!

Cyprus (Lonely Planet Country Guides)
Cyprus (Lonely Planet Country Guides) by Vesna Maric (Paperback - 1 Jun 2009)
Used & New from: £0.01