4.0 out of 5 stars Your travel companion in Kenya!
Published on 19 Feb 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Avoid ths Kindle edition!
Well, being a great admirer of LP, I always have a copy for the country to which I'm travelling. Alas! I arrived in Kenya and realised I'd forgotten my LP, so downloaded this Kindle edition in a guest house with a pleasingly fast Internet connection.

Published on 3 Dec 2011 by ijhodgson

4.0 out of 5 stars Your travel companion in Kenya!, 19 Feb 2001
By A Customer
No matter where I go I always put pride in knowing about the specific country's history, culture, people, traditions, and daily life. For planning purposes I had acquired Lonely Planet Kenya but I was positively surprised to find out that this guide book contains a chapter which gives a comprehensive description of the above subjects as well as economics, politics, etc. It helped to give me a good understanding of the country and the foundation for interesting conversations with the local people. The description of how to get around in Kenya also came in handy. In this chapter you will find information about all means of transportation. If you are in for travelling by camel on a safari, you will be able to get good advice in this book! Since most people going to Kenya go there because of the game safaris, this is a subject which is described thoroughly from a practical point of view. You can read about the game reserves and what you can expect to see there. There is even illustrations of the game but I could have used more illustrations. For this purpose I will recommend that you acquire a field book about the game and birds in East Africa. If you are to stay overnight in the game reserves, you can find information about the facilities and price levels of the various hotels and lodges in the game reserves. Overall, you shouldn't worry about bringing LP Kenya as your travel companion.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sensible guide for the basics, 19 Mar 2010
Kelly-ann Semper "kasemper" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Kenya (Lonely Planet Country Guides) (Paperback)
This guide book proved to be a good companion for our trip to Kenya, though as it covers the entire country it is not as comprehensive for each place as it could have been. You are likely to need to do a bit of your own research. Otherwise a good purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleased, 13 May 2014
Pleased with this item for my parents safari trip later in this year; just not sure how recent a version it was!

3.0 out of 5 stars Avoid ths Kindle edition!, 3 Dec 2011

Sadly, it's disappointing. The narrative, as usual, is helpful and current, but apart from a few hot links scattered throughout, this is simply a text-based version of the original hard copy. Even down to scanned maps split into 4, with no way to connect them on my iPad. What use is that? Even map legends are scattered - literally, as if someone has used scissors to cut up the pages, blindfolded, and then just shoved them into a scanner.

Not really worth the 8 quid I spent. I'd recommend avoiding this Kindle edition, and purchasing a hard copy somewhere, which will at least include some colour pics. Or just remember to bring your own if you have one already - ha ha!

3.0 out of 5 stars Of some use, 20 July 2011
This review is from: Kenya (Lonely Planet Country Guides) (Paperback)
We stayed at Shelley beach near the Likoni Ferry, just across the water from Mombasa. Although the detail for some areas of Kenya was useful it didn't really give us accurate enough information about the nearby resort.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best book, 13 Feb 2011
This review is from: Kenya (Lonely Planet Country Guides) (Paperback)
This is a great book for information on accommodation: backpackers that want to know where the cheap accommodation is and higher end accommodation for those with a bit more cash. It also gives a lot of useful information about the towns and cities. The downside to this book is the field guide which is pretty useless - it shows some pictures of animals but doesn't tell you what they are. If you want a guide on Kenya's animals for your safari steer clear of this book but if you want to know about the different towns/cities and accommodation then this book is excellent for that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Where's my strong specs?, 24 Sep 2010
This review is from: Kenya (Lonely Planet Country Guides) (Paperback)
Beautiful book, well written, amazing photographs but oh! such small print.

I only wear regular reading glasses but I going to have get stronger ones to comfortably read this lovely book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great all rounder - easy to pick up and refer too!, 31 Aug 2001
By A Customer
THE book for Kenya - great for reading up on culture, tribes and animals found in each region. You will always have some lcoal knowledge however remote the spot your in!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Kenya (Lonely Planet Country Guides), 9 Oct 2014
Another great "Lonely Planet" guide!

5.0 out of 5 stars First-timer to Kenya?, 26 Feb 2010
C. Grew (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kenya (Lonely Planet Country Guides) (Paperback)
If, like me, you have never been to Kenya before, this is the definitive guide - not just comprehensive in its information but a good read too! No wonder Lonely Planet have such a fine reputation for top notch travel guides.

Kenya (Lonely Planet Country Guides)
Kenya (Lonely Planet Country Guides) by Matthew D. Firestone (Paperback - 1 May 2009)
Used & New from: £0.01