5.0 out of 5 stars Great little guidebook!
Published on 22 Sep 2010 by Helsbiggerpicture

3.0 out of 5 stars My personal tour guide for a fantastic place!
Published on 13 July 2009 by B. Belmont Peters

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars My personal tour guide for a fantastic place!, 13 July 2009
B. Belmont Peters (Boston,MA USA) - See all my reviews
Ok, so I know what other's have said but, I guess it depends on how you use the guide. I found it very useful. I traveled Malta and Gozo. I used reccomendations for accomodations and restaurants. I was quite pleased with both. Lonely Planet usually doesn't disappoint me. The quality of information isn't consistent among all of their guides but, this one offers good information and tips worth taking. I travel, alot, usually one week a month to a new and different destination. I always check my guide info against reasearch I conduct through the internet. You should always do this and you will not be disappointed. So, in the end, I do reccomend this guide and Malta and Gozo....a can't miss!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little guidebook!, 22 Sep 2010
This review is from: Malta and Gozo (Lonely Planet Country Guides) (Paperback)
I bought this guide shortly before leaving for my first visit to Malta and was astounded by the volume of information that would prepare me for the trip. Interspersed with great photos, the text is clearly written and logically laid out and was remarkably up to date as there is a lot of grand scale improvement going on in Malta at the moment. All this in a slim volume that slotted easily into a pocket or handbag and accompanied every venture beyond the hotel grounds. Travelling with children, I needed to know everything from where to eat, to how to get around, and time after time the book was an invaluable resource, with honest and accurate information throughout.

For example, we took the ferry over to Gozo and exactly as it said to expect in the book, on arrival we were accosted by fervent taxi drivers offering everything from overpriced trips around the island to "bargain" short trips up to the capital Victoria. As the book had warned us they even told us that the buses did not run more often than every couple of hours on a Sunday, and that they were very unreliable. None of which was true, no taxi could beat the excellent Gozo bus service (even on a Sunday), which runs like clockwork to meet every ferry roughly half-hourly. In a new and strange place it was comforting to be armed with reliable information and to be able to deflect the advances of the taxi drivers in the knowledge that the number 25 bus we could see at the bus stop was going where we wanted to go at a price we'd be more than happy to pay.

The children loved the old grey buses and the laid back way they work - when returning to the ferry port you just get on the bus at the main bus stop, the driver will arrive in a relaxed yet timely manner, then you simply pay the meagre fare when you get off! Right change though please ladies and gentlemen as splitting a note will inevitably result in lazy mathematics on the part of your taciturn driver!

Having also purchased the Berlitz pocket guide, I have to report that the lonely planet guide was far superior and it's extra few square centimetres in size made no difference to its portability. Don't go to Malta or Gozo without it!
Malta and Gozo (Lonely Planet Country Guides)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful!, 27 Nov 2011
This review is from: Malta and Gozo (Lonely Planet Country Guides) (Paperback)
As it was my first time in a country that I didn't know before, I thought it best to buy a lonely planet guide about it to get me excited and to help me plan when I got there. This guide was so informative, it's definitely nice to know a country's history and culture before you arrive. Our hotel was in there, and after looking at all the hotels on the island I think it's safe to say that the best was ours! I wish more had been made of Gozo as this was by far our favourite place!!!

Definitely a good buy, a good read and I carried it everywhere with me (not very heavy either) :)

Hope that helps everyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars One stop guide, 7 April 2012
rossyb "r.breslin" (West Midlands) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Malta and Gozo (Lonely Planet Country Guides) (Paperback)
I bought this book ready for our visit to Malta. I bought the one for Rome and was so impressed I sent for this one as well. It has maps, bus times, currency, language, places to visit and eat, places to stay you name it its here. Its a compact little book so is easy to put in your bag and read as you go. Excellent for value and information.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 11 Oct 2011
This review is from: Malta and Gozo (Lonely Planet Country Guides) (Paperback)
Great travel book, with very useful information for your trip. It doesn't have a brilliant map, but it certainly makes up for it with lots of other interesting facts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great guide, 1 Sep 2011
This review is from: Malta and Gozo (Lonely Planet Country Guides) (Paperback)
I got the guide before visiting malta for the first time and it provided me with all the necessary information.

Advice on what sites to visit or not to visit was great and absolutely follow the picks for restaurants!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great Lonely Plant guide!, 6 Sep 2010
This review is from: Malta and Gozo (Lonely Planet Country Guides) (Paperback)
I don't think that Lonely Planet ever disappoints and the Malta & Gozo Guide is no exception. It shares the obvious 'touristy' information but more importantly, it give insider information that you couldn't possibly get anywhere else. It tells you about the restaurants that the locals frequent (everyone knows thats where you'll find the best food!), it gives you a plethora of hints on: great places that are off the beaten path yet definitely worth visiting, when/how to book tours,local transportation, a brief history of the country ... the list is endless. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this guide, it'll set you up so that you're able to make the most of your holidays.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful little book!, 11 July 2012
This review is from: Malta and Gozo (Lonely Planet Country Guides) (Paperback)
Great little book and always worth throwing in a lonley planet guide before heading off somewhere! Also ate at a few great restaurants recommended in it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good easy to read guide with very useful maps included., 31 May 2012
C. M. Royle "Roylie" (Hants) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Malta and Gozo (Lonely Planet Country Guides) (Paperback)
Easy to read informative guide. Used it extensively whilst in Malta but didnt go to Gozo. Small enough to carry around - good up todate guide. Honest guide which proved to be correct on most aspects. All in all a good buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars great guide, 23 May 2012
This review is from: Malta and Gozo (Lonely Planet Country Guides) (Paperback)
Bought this book for malta this year. very helpful with what you can do there as i didn't know the country. as every lonely planet is awesome!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Malta and Gozo (Lonely Planet Country Guides)
Malta and Gozo (Lonely Planet Country Guides) by Neil Wilson (Paperback - 1 April 2010)
Used & New from: £0.01