5.0 out of 5 stars Great guide
This was a fantastic guide, well worth the 10 paid for it. We ate at a lot of the recommended restaurants, which were not only delicious but often would have gone unnoticed. We also stayed in one of the inexpensive hotels which was directly next to the cathedral in Rouen, and put us in an ideal location. I would absolutely recommend the book (and the region).
Published on 1 Sep 2010 by Jen G

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing
Published on 10 July 2010 by cem

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 10 July 2010
This review is from: Lonely Planet Brittany & Normandy (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
I'm a big fan of Lonely Planet (LP) guides and have relied on them for countless trips. I didn't even flick through this one before buying it for an upcoming trip. I am very disappointed. I found the organisation of the information confusing and annoying (accommodation section at the back so you have to flick back and forth to regional sections). It seemed both dumbed down (in terms of the information) and overly complicated (in terms of organisation). Much less visually appealing than most of my LP collection - I don't like the apparently random use of red/black titles/subtitles or the fact that subtitles sometimes give necessary information but more often are lame/distracting bits of info. I'll have to look elsewhere for a good guide to Brittany, and I'll be looking more carefully before buying LPs in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great guide, 1 Sep 2010

4.0 out of 5 stars Just what you'd expect from a Lonely Planet guide!, 30 April 2011
M. Dunn - See all my reviews
For me a Lonely Planet guide is like a bible for travelling. Provided a good background and history of a number of places we wished to visit. Really enjoyed the stay in Normandy and made it down to Mont St Michel :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Lonely Planet Brittany & Normandy guide, 6 Mar 2011
Not had to use this yet, so still to see what happens when we get to Brittany. I've been a long time buyer of Lonely Planet guides but this one is a new format and seems to contain far less information eg only a few accommodation options in the larger towns. Finding accommodation in France isn't going to be beyond my wit, but having a few choices gives a good indication of prices. The pages are thicker paper and the information more spread out. If they were going to include less information then I'd have preferred they squashed it up and used thin pages so that the guide itself weighed less.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good guide - would have liked more visuals, 22 July 2013
WesleyM (Laois, Ireland.) - See all my reviews
As you would expect from Lonely Planet, this was a good guide. A couple of things might have been helpful. I would have liked more pictures and a bit of colour as it's mainly monochrome bar the opening pages. It really would help bring life to the guide. Also, would like even more itineraries. Generally though, a very good efficient guide.

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless guidebook, 28 Nov 2012
THis is useless as a guidebook because it doesn't contain practical information.
I returned it as soon as I received it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bit disappointing, 7 Aug 2011
What do you want from a guidebook?
Something that makes planning your trip easier. Provides reliable and accessible information. Is well indexed. Handy size and easy to carry. Allows you to get the most out of you visits.
It should contain the sort of information you would want to pass onto a friend who was planning to do the same trip as you after you come back.....
I found this book difficult to use. The maps are disconnected from the content. The paper used is thick with lots of colour pictures making it heavy (we were cycling). There are very few listings of hotels and restaurants. The descriptions of sites to visit are very briefly described.
Having used Lonely Planet guides elsewhere I was disappointed. This one seems to have gone for pictures over content and combined two areas you are unlikely to visit on the same trip.
I didn't get the sense that my friend was giving me useful inside information after his trip....

5.0 out of 5 stars Brittany & Normandy, 15 Mar 2010
I purchased this book for my wife who wishes to go to France to see the Normandy beaches where her father died on D-Day. She found a lot of useful information and also help with visiting other local places during her stay.

1.0 out of 5 stars Can't rate what you can't see, 27 Sep 2013
A. Birchall (Merseyside, UK) - See all my reviews
The book never arrived, so I can't give it a rating. I got a refund on the purchase and got another guide from a shop in town.

5.0 out of 5 stars An enhanced experience, 28 Feb 2014
Bought prior to visiting Normandy. Full of very useful information particularly the tourist routes via D roads. Historical contexts also enhanced my visit. Would recommemd the series to anyone planning a driving holiday in regional areas of France.

Lonely Planet Brittany & Normandy (Travel Guide)
Lonely Planet Brittany & Normandy (Travel Guide) by Dragicevich (Paperback - 22 Jan 2010)
Used & New from: 20.66