5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect walking companion
Published on 13 Sep 2010 by S. Bellwald

3.0 out of 5 stars Not suitable for non-experienced people
Published on 14 April 2012 by Katrin

3.0 out of 5 stars Not suitable for non-experienced people, 14 April 2012
This review is from: Walking in Scotland (Lonely Planet Walking Guides) (Paperback)
I love going hiking but I am not very experienced. Moreover I would hike alone a lot (because non of my friends likes hiking). So I bought this book ...... Unfortunately there are only very few walks with the level "easy", moreover, most of them are not accessible with public transport. Since I am traveling alone and without a car I cannot do these walks. And since I am not an experienced walker I do not dare to try the "moderate" tours first.
So I cannot recommend the guide for people like me, people who just like to hike and explore Scotland on foot, but who are not experienced.

The structure of the guide is very good and clear. The information given to the walks (how to get to the starting points etc) seems to be very good as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect walking companion, 13 Sep 2010
Having walked all my life in the alps, I bought this book to prepare for my first trip to the highlands. It's an excellent selection of walks, the descriptions are very detailed and precise and the maps are helpful. The difficulty criteria are very well applied. I was astonished to see that medium-difficult, is medium-difficult and not just barely medium. Having walked the Black Cuillins on a medium-difficult trip, I concluded that I will not go for the difficult walks. All in all, an excellent tour book and highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Library book I just had to buy., 20 Mar 2013
First came across this book in my local library and took it out on loan. It was so good I just had to buy it.
The layout and walk details and maps are just what I need to tackle some of Scotland's Munro's.
The book is also a nice size and it will fit in my rucksack perfectly. It has 384 pages, and describes in great detail, 66 fasinating walks. Its also worth noting that its not all hill walks, there are some great on the flat walks as well.
If you are looking for a really good book on Scottish walks witten by someone who knows their stuff - this is the book for you.

1.0 out of 5 stars Paths that don't exist!!, 19 Sep 2012
I have now thrown this book away after having been sent down paths that don't exist on several occasions! This book does have some good walks but there are much better books available that have more accurate descriptions of routes and are easier to follow.
Walking is something I do to enjoy and this book has not supported me. In fact it has caused me to have bad experiences when out walking by providing inaccurate information and unclear descriptions of routes.

I would not recommend this book.

Walking in Scotland (Lonely Planet Walking Guides)
Walking in Scotland (Lonely Planet Walking Guides) by Sandra Bardwell (Paperback - 1 Mar 2007)
Used & New from: 31.45