4.0 out of 5 stars Indispensable...
If you're heading off on a tour of Italy, I thoroughly recommend purchasing this book.The book proved invaluable to me, offering useful accomodation information as well as detailed maps of the places I visited.
My journey consisted of a tour of Italy's more famous cities- from Pisa to Florence, on to Rome and Napoli, down to Pompeii and Sorrento, eventually heading...
Published on 23 Sep 2003 by chrisjparr

3.0 out of 5 stars Good - but not exceptional
This is a good guide book, as all the guide books in the series, but I did expect a bit more from it. I travelled around Italy together with my husband the summer of 2005, and we used this guide book a lot. But it is a guide book, nothing more. There are quite a bit of things that have changed since the book was last edited, but this is expected. We are planning to send...
Published on 21 July 2005 by Ann-Katrin B

5.0 out of 5 stars Italian Summers, 18 Jan 2014
I spent a couple of summers in Italy and this book spent them with me. A good insight into some of the more obscure things to do, especially on a small budget. From paying 50 cents to cross the Grand Canal on a Gondola to watching the sunset from the hiltop in Florence, you're sure to have a magical time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lonely Planet - no more, 28 April 2013
R. Yates "shopper" (UK) - See all my reviews
Always a fan of lonely planet books and always will be, always gets you to places of great interest, quirkiness and a bed at the end of the day

3.0 out of 5 stars Sophie, 22 Aug 2009
S. Flores (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I spent 2 weeks in Italy travelling on my own, and this book came in incredibly handy. Sometimes I found some of the advice a bit negative, but overall I found this really valuable and would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars If You're Going to Italy, You Should This Guide with You, 4 Mar 2009
Lonely Planet guides belong in every backpacker's backpack, every traveler's suitcase, every armchair traveler's bookcase as they give travelers of every stripe, the real deal and the wannabes, accurate and in depth information in an easy to find format and they don't read like they were written by somebody who failed creative writing. Not only do they give you the info you need to find what you're looking for, but they make it interesting as well.

I have twenty something Lonely Planet Guides and I've been to maybe a third of the places they represent. I have been to Italy, but that was years ago. I went with my parents on a tour bus through Europe. You know one of those "If it's Tuesday, it must be Belgium," kind of tours. I travel a lot and I'd like to go back to Italy. I'd like to spend some time in Tuscany, know the back corners of Rome, hang out in Milan, ride in a gondola in Venice. Maybe next year.

Two weeks ago I got this guide, along with the Lonely Planet Guide to Argentina, and I've devoured them both, marked them up with a yellow highlighter, folded page corners, made notes on various pages, enjoyed the heck out of them.

If you want to travel to Italy, knowing a bit about her culture, her history, her background will make you not only a more informed traveler, but will help to endear you to the people you might meet along the way. As one who goes out of her way to meet new people, I find that a little language learning helps too. If you make an effort, and the Lonely Planet guides will certainly help you with that, you'd be surprised to find how many people will go out of they're way to make sure you enjoy their country and you'll have a lot of wonderful memories to take home with you.

I know, I spent last summer in France and though it is a modern, developed country, I poured over the Lonely Planet Guide to France before I left and I spent three months studying French with the Rosetta Stone Language course. A lot of Americans I met there complained about the ugly French, how they didn't want to know Americans, how they avoided them like the plague. I didn't find that at all. In fact I found a country full of friendly people and I made some fast friends there and I have to say that I owe a lot of it to the people at Lonely Planet and thanks to Lonely Planet the next time I go to Argentina, I'll be ready.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 18 Sep 2009
COnsidering the huge amount of places and sights it has to cover the guide gives very decent travel information. The problem I saw are the chapters on history, culture and short notices, which are clearly poorly prepared, one-sided and many of them very evidently taken as granted from a coincidental source. This book is of great help finding aplace to stay or eat and definitely not a source of information for getting a broader perspective of the country.

4.0 out of 5 stars ITALY FOR YOU, FOR ME, 18 Aug 2011
Lonely Planet Country Guide Italy offers best advice of a tucked-away treasure that offers great value for money and welcoming service, there is expert advice, best rate and special rate, Best of lists for all interests, such as Best Ancient Marvels, Best Hill towns and Foodie regions. Expert advice contains inspirational tips and exciting itineraries, Lonely Planet is your essential Italy Companion.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, 21 April 2011
I bought this a few weeks ago now along with the other title 'discover Italy' because I wasn't sure which would best suit my travel plans. Up to now I have found this book more useful and generally the other info in the other book is exactly the same as in this.

I like this book because it gives all the information you need or a guide where to look elsewhere (e.g Internet sites) and I am find it very useful in planning my 3 week adventure around Northern Italy. I did think we'd be able to do more than just the North but after getting stuck into this book I realise that was too hectic!

So my general advise is, if you are looking at this book and 'Discover Italy' Because you've never been to and are going to travel around Italy buy this book. If you are planning a city break to one location, then buy the other it's smaller. In my opinion!!

[ASIN:1742200974 Discover Italy (Au and UK) (Lonely Planet Discover Guide)]]

5.0 out of 5 stars As Described. Fast Delivery, 16 April 2011
C. Brown "C.Brown" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
Product arrived quickly and in great condition.
A brilliant book that is a must for anyone visiting / living in Italy.
Many thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars Way to go, 3 April 2011
As always Lonely Planet are on the button. The guide is invaluable for trip planning and I know it will be well thumbed on the trip too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Guide, 30 Aug 2010
Had never been to Italy before. I love the lonely planet guides as if you read between the lines they always advise you on the best areas on where to stay. Highly recommend.

Italy (Lonely Planet Travel Guides)
Italy (Lonely Planet Travel Guides) by Damien Simonis (Paperback - 1 Jan 2004)
Used & New from: £0.01