5.0 out of 5 stars Compact and detailed - and reassuringly recent!
A really useful and compact guide book, with detailed information on each area of Paris, plus a good fold out map.

Up to date, easy to read, and plenty of information on generalities such as tipping and national holidays, as well as specifics recommending bike hire tips, and resteraunt info.

Good value and easily portable. Perfect for a short break.
Published on 7 Aug 2009 by Bob and Billy's Mum

3.0 out of 5 stars Only good if you're staying in very central paris
Published on 25 Jan 2007 by Welly

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact and detailed - and reassuringly recent!, 7 Aug 2009
Bob and Billy's Mum (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Paris (Lonely Planet Encounter Guides) (Paperback)

Good value and easily portable. Perfect for a short break.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well it was good enough for me, 7 Feb 2009
J. C. Chamberlain (Manchester, Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I'd never been to Paris, so I had to do some research before going. My boyfriend had been, but it's always me who decides what we're gonna do when away, otherwise we don't see what we want to see.

I managed to use this book to plan out our days before we got there and it all worked out a treat. I'm really glad for the tips in the book- like going to the Eiffel Tower late in the day when the queues are low and see the City of Lights from high up- an amazingly beautiful and romanic sight, if a little nippy.

I'd been loaned two other Paris books, much bigger than this little book, but found they had alot of details about alot of places that I wasn't going to go to, so I used this little book as a person going to Paris for a week, not for months.

We found the fold out street map, and back page metro map very very helpful and stopped us from getting lost every day. The book is small enough to fit in my handbag, and so I could look stuff up as a passed things that I'd heard of, but not planned to go to.

I'm very happy with this book, and next time I go to Paris I'll take the same one, and probably the time after that too.

3.0 out of 5 stars Only good if you're staying in very central paris, 25 Jan 2007
The highlights and descriptions of places to see are good. It was let down by the fact that couldn't find some of the restaurants listed, at least one of them had closed down. Also the maps of the centre are good, but if you live anywhere slightly further out of town (we were in 17th) it won't have a decent map of the local area. We had to rely on another, much older, guide book for this information. The maps also sometimes made it difficult to work out exactly where certain things (again restaurants) were - we ended up walking round and round block looking for particular streets because the map was unclear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy guide with good maps!, 13 Sep 2010
Annemarie "Annemarie" (Amsterdam, The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Paris (Lonely Planet Encounter Guides) (Paperback)
LP's 'Paris Encounter' is a handy portable small sized little booklet (225 pages) with a high standard of maps. It gives you, per (colour coded) district, highlights divided in 'See', 'Do', 'Eat', 'Shop' and 'Drink'. Because of the maps inside the book and the tear out larger map in the back of the book it provides you with good directions as to how to get where you want to go. The beginning to the book is dedicated to a quick overview how Paris works and what itineraries could entail. Don't buy this if you want extensive background information, because that it doesn't cater for. I would highly recommend it. For both beginners and those who'd like some ideas but like to wander around and see what happens too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lonely Planet - Paris, 23 Sep 2010
J. Goddard (Croydon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Paris (Lonely Planet Encounter Guides) (Paperback)
This is a great little book that fits very neatly into your bag and also provides a map at the back. Had everything I needed for a long weekend in Paris with the usual good reviews from Lonely Planet on restaurants, etc in each area. The map was good but didn't have any of the sights on there so difficult to find out what you were looking at.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 18 Nov 2010
This review is from: Paris (Lonely Planet Encounter Guides) (Paperback)
Usual Lonely planet quality...never go anywhere without one of their guides. Yes, you will find your own little places off the guide but that is the point. When you really just need to find something it is always there. great stuff.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too small guide, 11 Aug 2010
S. Watson "worldtraveller" (se england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Paris (Lonely Planet Encounter Guides) (Paperback)
Although I can't fault the info in this guide I found the maps print far too small to easily use.
I liked the walks and the sections on shop, see and eat.

4.0 out of 5 stars paris encounter, 8 Jan 2010
GK (Cork, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Paris (Lonely Planet Encounter Guides) (Paperback)
small and light to carry around, useful to have! Not the regular type of lonely planet though which I mistakenly thought so not as much detail or recommendations provided for the different areas of paris.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Handy Reference, 11 Dec 2009
J. Harris - See all my reviews
This review is from: Paris (Lonely Planet Encounter Guides) (Paperback)
A handy little guide for a short break in Paris, it doesn't give lots of information about places but it gives you a good starting point for places to visit and you can then investigate them further. I didn't use the pull out map at the back as it was too cumbersome, I found a couple of printouts from google maps to be more helpful and easier to fold up and keep in your pocket. Not bad for the price though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Paris lonely planet guidebook, 3 Nov 2013
twu323 (Wirral, England) - See all my reviews
Handy concise pocket guidebook. However, the map removed by the previous owner so unable to fully refer to map. Some nice photos included

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Paris (Lonely Planet Encounter Guides)
Paris (Lonely Planet Encounter Guides) by Catherine Le Nevez (Paperback - 1 Mar 2009)
Used & New from: 0.01