5.0 out of 5 stars Well it was good enough for me
I'd never been to Paris, so I had to do some research before going. My boyfriend had been, but it's always me who decides what we're gonna do when away, otherwise we don't see what we want to see.

Published on 7 Feb. 2009 by J. C. Chamberlain

3.0 out of 5 stars Only good if you're staying in very central paris
Published on 25 Jan. 2007 by Welly

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Well it was good enough for me, 7 Feb. 2009
J. C. Chamberlain (Manchester, Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews

I managed to use this book to plan out our days before we got there and it all worked out a treat. I'm really glad for the tips in the book- like going to the Eiffel Tower late in the day when the queues are low and see the City of Lights from high up- an amazingly beautiful and romanic sight, if a little nippy.

I'd been loaned two other Paris books, much bigger than this little book, but found they had alot of details about alot of places that I wasn't going to go to, so I used this little book as a person going to Paris for a week, not for months.

We found the fold out street map, and back page metro map very very helpful and stopped us from getting lost every day. The book is small enough to fit in my handbag, and so I could look stuff up as a passed things that I'd heard of, but not planned to go to.

I'm very happy with this book, and next time I go to Paris I'll take the same one, and probably the time after that too.

3.0 out of 5 stars Only good if you're staying in very central paris, 25 Jan. 2007
The highlights and descriptions of places to see are good. It was let down by the fact that couldn't find some of the restaurants listed, at least one of them had closed down. Also the maps of the centre are good, but if you live anywhere slightly further out of town (we were in 17th) it won't have a decent map of the local area. We had to rely on another, much older, guide book for this information. The maps also sometimes made it difficult to work out exactly where certain things (again restaurants) were - we ended up walking round and round block looking for particular streets because the map was unclear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact and detailed - and reassuringly recent!, 7 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Paris (Lonely Planet Encounter Guides) (Paperback)
A really useful and compact guide book, with detailed information on each area of Paris, plus a good fold out map.

Up to date, easy to read, and plenty of information on generalities such as tipping and national holidays, as well as specifics recommending bike hire tips, and resteraunt info.

Good value and easily portable. Perfect for a short break.

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy guide with good maps!, 13 Sept. 2010
Annemarie "Annemarie" (Amsterdam, The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Paris (Lonely Planet Encounter Guides) (Paperback)
LP's 'Paris Encounter' is a handy portable small sized little booklet (225 pages) with a high standard of maps. It gives you, per (colour coded) district, highlights divided in 'See', 'Do', 'Eat', 'Shop' and 'Drink'. Because of the maps inside the book and the tear out larger map in the back of the book it provides you with good directions as to how to get where you want to go. The beginning to the book is dedicated to a quick overview how Paris works and what itineraries could entail. Don't buy this if you want extensive background information, because that it doesn't cater for. I would highly recommend it. For both beginners and those who'd like some ideas but like to wander around and see what happens too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lonely Planet - Paris, 23 Sept. 2010
J. Goddard (Croydon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Paris (Lonely Planet Encounter Guides) (Paperback)
This is a great little book that fits very neatly into your bag and also provides a map at the back. Had everything I needed for a long weekend in Paris with the usual good reviews from Lonely Planet on restaurants, etc in each area. The map was good but didn't have any of the sights on there so difficult to find out what you were looking at.

2.0 out of 5 stars No good for a short stay (and dont follow the routes!) or if you are on a budget., 15 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Paris (Lonely Planet Encounter Guides) (Paperback)
We were in Paris for 5 days. The book seemed very good as it has foccus on what to do on short stays. It has suggested walkings in the areas and few eating and shopping suggestions.
First it is not very good at helping you get around - metro-vise. Second, the suggested routes are strange and sometimes we walked in stranged little areas with nothing to see. The biggest problm however was the recommendations and descriptions of things to do. Because of short time, we wanted to get as much done as possible and relied a lot on where the book suggested we go. The biggest let down was the street markets. Those suggested are extremely crowded (we are talking november - not tourist season) and all most all of it was food, crap from china or clothes found on the street. Another problem was opening hours. I know these things vary but we spend days looking at closed shops and very quiete neighbourhoods. The book wrote to go to the Marais on sunday as it is a jewich quarter and would be open and lively - was not! Then it said to go to the flea market og st. Ouen on monday to avoid crowded peolpe - it was completedly dead and closed.
We avoided most of the suggested eating placs because they were too expensive. The one we went to of the suggested was not tourist friendly at all. One thing is to have a local athmosphere which is nice, but they seemed almost displeased with our presence. And it was expensive.

Overall the book is either not accurate enough in its descriptions - or a lot have changes since it was writen. It has good maps and overview and local knowledge of the neighbourhoods. But it is not a very good guide! Especially if you are on a budget! It describe the most expensive areas and department stores without hesitation as quiete nice litte areas to do nice little shopping. In reality you end up in a crowded hell of people looking down on you while guiding your way through gucci and chanel and dior (no offence for those who actually go to shop there).

Dont buy this book if you dont have a lot of knowledge of Paris already!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect travelguide for a short break, 24 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Paris (Lonely Planet Encounter Guides) (Paperback)
Bought this guide for a short (two day) trip to Paris in May. Really useful.

It's super compact and fits easily into a small handbag. It also comes with a pull-out map, which you'll find really useful when trying to navigate the winding arrondissments of Paris. Key landmarks (Eiffel tower, Louvre, Arc de Triomphe etc), parks and Metro stops are clearly highlighted on the map - so you'll always be able to find your nearest metro station, or get your bearings in relation to nearest landmark.

In terms of contents, the book is split up into sections for each of the main areas of Paris and also has a highlights section at the beginning of the book. The highlights section lists 'must-see/must-do' items such as the Eiffel Tower, Louvre etc and gives you plenty of background information. Each area section lists things to see, places to eat, places to shop and bars/nightlife within that area of Paris. All listings include key information such as opening hours, prices and tips for avoiding queues/making the most of your experience.

My copy is already well perused. I used it before my trip to plan a rough sort of itinerary. I used it whilst I was out-and-about in Paris. And now I'm using it to plan my second trip to Paris, which I'll be taking later this year.

Well worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Handy Reference, 11 Dec. 2009
J. Harris - See all my reviews
This review is from: Paris (Lonely Planet Encounter Guides) (Paperback)
A handy little guide for a short break in Paris, it doesn't give lots of information about places but it gives you a good starting point for places to visit and you can then investigate them further. I didn't use the pull out map at the back as it was too cumbersome, I found a couple of printouts from google maps to be more helpful and easier to fold up and keep in your pocket. Not bad for the price though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 18 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Paris (Lonely Planet Encounter Guides) (Paperback)
Usual Lonely planet quality...never go anywhere without one of their guides. Yes, you will find your own little places off the guide but that is the point. When you really just need to find something it is always there. great stuff.

4.0 out of 5 stars paris encounter, 8 Jan. 2010
GK (Cork, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Paris (Lonely Planet Encounter Guides) (Paperback)
small and light to carry around, useful to have! Not the regular type of lonely planet though which I mistakenly thought so not as much detail or recommendations provided for the different areas of paris.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Paris (Lonely Planet Encounter Guides)
Paris (Lonely Planet Encounter Guides) by Catherine Le Nevez (Paperback - 1 Mar. 2009)
Used & New from: £0.01