4.0 out of 5 stars Quite useful
Published on 13 Aug. 2008 by S. Shah

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite good, apart from the maps
I'm usually quite handy with a map, but the maps of Havana in this book had me scratching my head. Most of the main squares aren't shown on the larger map of Havana, and we ended up buying a larger city map for $3 and using that to navigate instead. The only maps in the book I ever successfully referred to were those for the walking tours.
Published on 23 Feb. 2010 by K. Hartnett

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite useful, 13 Aug. 2008
S. Shah (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cuba (Lonely Planet Country Guides) (Paperback)
For my first trip to Cuba, this book was pretty accurate, up to date and informative in terms of places to visit, tourist attractions, what to do and where to go. It gives you useful advice on how much you are expected to tip, what to expect of the country and how to get around and where to go which was very useful. The only negative aspect of this book was probably the design layout. It covers a vast majority of aspects of Cuba which can be a lot to get through, the layout is quite difficult to read and its mostly black and white columns of writing do not make it appealing. As it is written from first hand experience it is definitely a very useful book for first time traveller's however a lot of the entertainment they had suggested for Havana, no one had heard of when i visited which was unusual. Overall highly informative but because it has so much to take in you can find yourself relying on it a bit too much and a smaller guide might be just as useful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Diamonds y rust y muchas alma., 9 May 2010
Jane Brannigan (Brighton England.) - See all my reviews
The spirit of Cuba has really been captured here. The author as well as seducing you does not leave out the grit and edge of the city and country as well as luxury within reach the pitfalls and enduring sides are covered with humour wit and knowledge.
The orientation guide is clear and the maps invaluable. Transport is covered from horse cat and carriage, coco taxis, collective taxis and hired cars. There is a good list of restaurants and palladores as well as recommending good meals with your Casa owners.
The accommodation section covers all budgets and options of Casa Particulars private houses rented by local cuban familys, to hotels and campsites. You can have a taste of the real life and get to the source of the country as well as sample some luxury. Cuba was a far away dream until i picked up this guide book and become hooked giving me much inspiration and confidence. A very good introductions to understanding history, music, religion literature and politics opening doors for further reading.
Authentic, gritty, edgy and luxury is all within reach in this guide book.Fear is ignorance and through a good guide book well written that fear turns to inspiration, passion and you might also get the travel bug people talk about. The Habana section is well covered on describing the diversity of the city including the grand beautifu plazas described as music set in stone, Plaza Caterdral,drinking the best mojhitas at La Patio restaurant. Breathtaking views across the malecon at sunset drinking mojhito's in the raised gardens of the Hotel Nacional to the quirky Hammill experience for authentic santeria religion art and there sunday weekly live music festival.The gritty side of Central Habana and warmth of the people. And i havent even touched on other sides of the island that i plan to do on my return that are mentioned in this guide book. It is my bible muchas Gracias. If you want to sample real Cuba buy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cuba Lonely Planet, 8 Mar. 2010
I am amazed at how easy and informative this book is to read. I have bought a few different books about Cuba as I want to know as much as possible before I go there. This book is the most updated one I have found and is a very interesting read. In future when I'm travelling to a new country ... it will be the Lonely Planet guide book I look for.

4.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT, 3 July 2008
This review is from: Cuba (Lonely Planet Country Guides) (Paperback)
Not 5 stars because CUBA changes too quickly but the book covers the ground in the usual sound clear writing of Lonely Planet.

Do look at the book Mea Cuba by Infante for an alternative viewpoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I expect from Lonely Planet, 10 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Cuba (Lonely Planet Country Guides) (Paperback)
The guide book on Cuba was everything I have come to expect from a Lonely Planet guide. Only a few pictures, but I will be visiting and taking pictures for myself. Plenty of history background, info about places to visit, and hotels, restaurants, cafes etc etc. Good value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great place and great book!!!, 28 July 2011
This review is from: Cuba (Lonely Planet Country Guides) (Paperback)
After reading this book I was very inspired and went to Cuba, I have been twice now and love Cuba!!

This book gives clear information on things to do and see and was very accurate!

I took this book with me each time I went as it was like a bible, it was full of information that I was able to use when I was there, I even educated the holiday rep on a few things on Cuba from this book!

If you are just interested in the history of Cuba then this book also has a lot of the revelation facts within it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cuba travel guide, 3 Oct. 2011
After recently coming back from over 2 weeks in Cuba I can highly recommend the Lonely Planet travel guide for Cuba. It was pretty much our bible whilst we were out there and answered near enough every single question we had from sickness to tipping, eating out, best places to go.
Full of great tips and handy historical notes!
Deffinatly the travel guide book to get if you're going to Cuba!

4.0 out of 5 stars A must have for a trip to Cuba, 26 Dec. 2010
This book was great for our trip to Havana, although very little information on the more 'touristy' places such as Varadero. Excellent walking tours of Havana, and suggestions for places to eat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, 15 Dec. 2013
As always it contains great tips, I have contacted the guest houses recommended and looked at the different suggested activities. Spot on most the times.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite good, apart from the maps, 23 Feb. 2010
K. Hartnett (London, UK) - See all my reviews

Cuba (Lonely Planet Country Guides)
Cuba (Lonely Planet Country Guides) by Brendan Sainsbury (Paperback - 1 Nov. 2006)
Used & New from: £0.01