on 3 September 2002
I brought this book along with another book and set of tapes that was really expensive, the lonely planet phrasebook has turned out so much more usefull, I have been writing to a nepalese person with the books help. It is cheep, full of usefull info and set out really well with loads of tips on culture and stuff too. A MUST.
on 8 August 2001
The book gives an interesting introduction to what you should expect in Nepal. It also has a section on the grammer of the language. However, there is a lack of phonectic translations to aid pronounciation, so this doesn't help someone who speaks no Nepali at all. The sections are not labelled in a way that makes the book easy to use. It is difficult to find particular words, even though the book itself suggests pointing to words if you are stuck when talking to someone. The size however is ideal, and hints are given within each section about how to behave in certain situations.
on 24 March 2002
I brought quite a few books to learn nepali and found this tiny book to be crammed full of info, easy to thumb through with a dictionary in the back, fits in any pocket, this book is a must for... (the price)...you can't go wrong!
on 30 December 2011
I gave this to my girlfriend as a present and she absolutely loves it. I am Nepali so my girlfriend wanted to learn my language. I got it for her to help her with that. I realised after I bought it that it is designed for prospective tourists who are going to Nepal. So it mostly contains touristy phrases like "where's the taxi stand?" etc. But nevertheless it has a lot of useful stuff for people who are looking to learn Nepali for other purposes as well. Can't go wrong esp. at this price.
on 27 March 2014
I liked this book. I bought it originally for my friend who went to Nepal for a month, but I also had a look at it. His experience was that the book was very useful and because it fits into your pocket you can take it everywhere with you. So whenever you need it you just take it out of your pocketand use it. The content was also good and useful. I recommend this book if you want to travel there and need a small book with you.
on 30 September 2012
this book is ok if you want the basics like greetings,shopping and asking simple directions on the trail.i had fun trying it out in nepal where english is almost universally understood on the tourist trail. however it was kinda nice asking for dwee karlo chia hoina chinnee two black teas no sugar and getting what you asked for
on 30 December 2012
I have several nepalese friends and so I decided it was time to make an effort to learn real nepalese and not just the odd word, this book enabled me to do this and was small enough to be portable. Although some of the cultural references seem inaccurate the language teaching skills are invaluable.
on 14 October 2011
Good value for money, a handy little book that has most common words like "hello, thank you, etc" right at the front and more of most used phrases and explanations in sections throughout the book. Also explains a little about the cultural differences in some of the sections.
on 31 August 2012
I can only say, this book is up to the usual standard of Lonely Planet excellent, informative and a good read. My companion for future weeks. I only wish they also had it in kindle form, I then would have belt and braces.
on 8 December 2012
As you would expect from a phrase book. Very easy to read and very helpful when in Nepal. I was amazed at how many Nepalis speak good English so this is a useful aid for the places where they don't.