4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly good
Published on 7 Dec. 2012 by Kenneth

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring
This book is devastatingly boring. I had to read it for college, but it is so bad, i cannot emphasise it with words. Seriously, don't waste your money, i have no idea why they even made it.
Published on 6 May 2011 by RH

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring, 6 May 2011
RH (UK, London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A House Somewhere: Tales of Life Abroad (Lonely Planet Journeys) (Paperback)

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly good, 7 Dec. 2012
I bought this book because it was cheap (50p) and it was definitely worth it. A few of the essays were from books I had already read but were worth another read because they were from good authors. The trouble with taking an extract from a book is that characters and settings can be out of context if you haven't got the bigger picture so it was helpful to have previously read some of the authors. Without that background knowledge some of the events could have been confusing. What I did find irritating was that a couple of the essays were written in such a bad style that I just couldn't be bothered persevering with them and skipped them. Shame really as it was a waste of bookspace and also irritating that some people don't know how to communicate clearly in writing yet get published!

I found the book made me quite reflective on my own choice of house and whether I have any regrets about not travelling the world constantly like some of the contributors did before they decided to settle in a foreign country. It is also interesting to know what it is that makes people want to settle in a particular place. For some it is the smell of things or the beauty of the setting and for others it is the people they mix with but the house they decide to live in is central to their dream. This is another reason to gripe about the book because in some essays the 'house' hardly comes into it at all. Take Annie Hawes extract from 'Extra Virgin' for instance. In her book she describes her discovery of her house brilliantly and goes to some detail in explaining the anxiety and joy of making it her home yet the extract from her book is more or less about the lack of water she suffered in a freak year and the peculiar Italian behaviour she had to tolerate on family trips.

However these essays are fascinating accounts even if they don't follow the title of the book to the letter. Some of the essayists were the envy of their friends whilst others regretted making their home abroad it seems. The grass is always greener somewhere else isn't it? Or is it? Have you wasted your life living in just one place? Read the book and decide.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 24 Jan. 2012
I'm studying this book for my A-level English course and I have to say I found it extremely dull. Most of the extracts are very hard to read and get in to. I like to read things where I get some feel for the characters but these extracts are purely about the country, culture or home. However I wouldn't slate this book completely, some of the extracts are somewhat interesting, but it's not my thing at all.

2.0 out of 5 stars Meh., 28 May 2012
I only bought this book because I had to study it for A2 English. The first 5 stories in the book are not great. The interesting stories start after the first 5 or so. I remembered some stories, but the rest are just a blur. Not worth it, unless you are studying English or you are interested in traveling ect ect.

3.0 out of 5 stars doesn't live up to the promise of its premise, 30 May 2012
Mr. Robert Marsland (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
I picked this book up in a local charity shop being excited by the premise of it - a collection of musings on living abroad. However after the initial essay by Jan Morris which is excellent, philosophical, poetical and moving too the rest moves into often dull personal rumblings. disappointing

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring, 18 Nov. 2013
I am studying this book for the A2 English Language and Literature. It is the most boring book I have EVER had to read, it makes me want to stop my A Level it is so mind-numbing and the hours of my life spent studying it are wasted hours of my life. If you don't HAVE to read this book then watch some paint dry instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book as stated, 13 Feb. 2014
The book is as stated. The delivery time was good. The company selling these books do so at a very fair price so well pleased for a good all round transaction.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Level prescribed text, 28 July 2013
Okay - Language a bit stuffy, middle-class pretentions I thought. Not the text for our students, chose another to study

2.0 out of 5 stars good, 8 Feb. 2013
dont really remember this, but was cheap and cheerful. bought for a college course and did the job well for that

5.0 out of 5 stars A House Somewhere, 21 Dec. 2013
Needed it for a english topic and was a good price, good quality and exactly just what I needed :)

A House Somewhere: Tales of Life Abroad (Lonely Planet Journeys)
Used & New from: £0.01