on 7 May 2008
I recently took a trip across the Trans-Mongolian railway and ordered three Lonely Planet phrasebooks. Russian, Mongolian and Chinese. Of the three, only one did not get used. That was this one.

The Mongolian phrasebook has clearly not been updated in quite a while compared to the others. This is perhaps understandable due to the relative amount of travellers that visit each country. It does mean it's not as comprehensive or well laid out as other Lonely Planet phrasebooks, however, and there are a few too many intruding unnecessary illustrations in my opinion.

Mongolian is also extremely hard to pronounce and while the book does spell out each word phonetically, the pronunciation seems to be off and you're very unlikely to be understood and will probably have to point at the Cyrillic version of the phrase. The dictionary at the back only contains 1,500 words as opposed to 3,500 words in newer Lonely Planet phrasebooks so if you cannot find your phrase (which might take a while as the books is not especially well laid out) your choice of words to try to get the meaning across with is limited.

I would definetely not rely on this book as the only way to communicate with locals.
44 comments|11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 April 2013
I bought this for my boyfriend who is currently working in Mongolia. I am not sure how helpful it is, he is having Mongolian lessons and tells me some vowels aren't actually pronounced. So until I go out there myself I wont know. After much searching in all the major book stores and online it is the only Mongolian phrasebook I could find.