5.0 out of 5 stars Hot stuff -- one of the best Indian cooks book around
I cannot praise this book highly enough: I have many Indian food/curry cookbooks and this one beats them all hands down.

The book itself is a fine piece of production. Photos of street vendors, market stalls, shops and produce invite you in and, along with the author's flavoursome writings and introductions, put the food in the correct cultural context...
Published on 12 Jun 2006 by N. Yates

3.0 out of 5 stars Great recipes, very poor binding
An great collection of recipes from india... Highly recommended... It's a pity that the quality of the binding is so poor, as in under a year the book has basically fallen apart. I have other books from same publisher that have lasted, so it might just have been this batch..
Published 1 month ago by TechnoPedro

5.0 out of 5 stars Hot stuff -- one of the best Indian cooks book around, 12 Jun 2006
N. Yates "nobby_d" (Oxford) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Food of India: A Journey for Food Lovers (Food of the World) (Paperback)

The recipes are excellent. Simply written and easy to follow, they are nevertheless exquisite. A fine mix of street food, traditional feast dishes and true Indian versions of our British curry house favourites, backed-up with comprehensive sections on bread-making, side-dishes and pickles, this book offers an array of mouth-watering treats for any fan of Indian cuisine.

Open the pages and let the warmth of India's sunshine, spices and it's people flood out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous book!, 17 July 2006
J. Parker (UK) - See all my reviews
We own many indian cook books and bought this to fill our collection, We haven't opened or used any other indian cookery book since! As well as perfectly described and delicious dishes familiar from our local takeaway there are also more unusual dishes such as "Mangalorean Pork Bafath" (so HOT!!)and a wealth of others including a very extensive seafood section (chili crab anyone?) and large veg section. Visually the book is beautiful and worthy of "coffee table" status and a must for spicy food cooks. I note the other books in the series are by other authors I can only hope the Thai one is as good

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent collection of regional Indian recipes, 2 Dec 2011
Sandra Wright (North East England) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent book for anyone interested in cooking real Indian food.

I have more Indian cookery books than I care to admit to, many (like this one) bought in India, where I've managed to eat my way from North to South over the past 15 years, but I find myself returning to this one time and time again, My battered old 2005 copy is now looking extremely tatty as a result of overuse, and many of the recipes have become firm favourites over the years - I defy anyone who tries the outstandingly delicious parippu and / or keema mutter recipes to make them only once or not to eat too much of them at one sitting!

I usually avoid publisher compilations when buying cookery books because they are invariably pretty poor in terms of quality and authenticity as compared to books written by individuals from the relevant country......but not this one. It is a stunning-looking book with fabulous photography, but more importantly (for me at least), the recipes are extremely reliable and authentically Indian. A few non-traditional dishes have crept into the latest edition (salmon curry for example, which I've yet to see on any menu in India), but this is likely only to offend purists and the book is none the worse for their inclusion.

When considering buying this book bear in mind that it is a regional "homestyle" Indian cookery book which doesn't include many of the dishes served in Indian restaurants in the UK and that even when it does the end result will be unlikely to taste the same. But if you're looking for a comprehensive collection of real Indian dishes from across the country then this is the book to choose, and will probably be the only one you'll need. As an alternative you could also consider the excellent "50 Great Curries of India" by Camellia Panjabi, another gorgeous book full of truly authentic recipes. I'd be hard pushed to choose between the two but although it's more expensive this one probably has the edge in terms of variety. To be honest the parippu recipe alone is worth 10 of anyone's money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, 18 Jun 2008
J. Solanki (Lutterworth, UK) - See all my reviews
I came across this book at a friends house and bought it the next day!
It is the best Indian cookery book I have bought as it features some great recipes some of which you never see in other books. The history of Indian food provides a real insight into the country and it comes well recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised!, 8 Oct 2012
If I'm honest, I bought this book as much for the pictures as for the recipes. It's an interesting read on its own without the cooking aspect of it and if I'm honest I wasn't expecting this to be a book full of authetic-tasting dishes since it combines recipes from various cooks chefs. However, having tried a few of the recipes, I have been pleasantly surprised.
The book is packed full of a good variety of dishes for starters, mains, and desserts. There is a good section on street food too which is rare to find in indian cookbooks. Totally recommend this book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 22 Nov 2011
Vernon Pratt "VP" (UK) - See all my reviews
I have owned this book for about 5 years and I like it so much that I have also bought it for several of my friends and family who are into Indian food. Some of the vegetable dishes, particularly the okra and aubergine recipes are excellent and the Yakhni pulao is my favourite rice dish of all time; partly because it's almost impossible to get it wrong. The only reason I haven't given it 5 stars is that the cover of the book is a bit flimsy and broke after about 2 years, but that is probably because I use it almost every week. But with a bit of help from some tape it is still going strong.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great recipes, very poor binding, 30 May 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cook book, 21 July 2013
Great cook book I am an executive chef and find the gives good information well worth buying I know I will get a lot of use from this book I understand herbs and spices just gives you that little bit better depth of some of the spices

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 2 Jan 2013
P. Sarosh "P Sarosh" (UK) - See all my reviews
Great book with some amazing recipies in, which are quite amazing. Really good write up of ingredients and where the dishes come from.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Food of India, 1 May 2012
The book has some great recepies in it. Unfortunately a lot of the ingredients are not available where I lve, but this is not the fault of the book. More disappointing was the fact that the cover separated from the ret of the book the first time I used it.

The Food of India: A Journey for Food Lovers (Food of the World)
12.91