4.0 out of 5 stars Well balanced account of a great actor's life
I had always enjoyed the few James Stewart films I had seen before I read this. I loved the Anthony Mann westerns.
I picked this up because I am very interested in classical Hollywood icons and what a treat it turned out.

It did not over-sensationalise Stewart's life, and unlike other film biographies it was not bogged down with plot descriptions...
Published on 21 April 2010 by P. Stoller

3.0 out of 5 stars Jimmy Stewart a wonderful life!
Published on 5 Jan 2006 by A. B. Ward

3.0 out of 5 stars Jimmy Stewart a wonderful life!, 5 Jan 2006
I received this book for christmas and read it within a week. Jimmy Stewart has always been a favourite actor of mine and still is despite some of the revelations in this book. It is a very difficult task for the author Munn to write a biography on Stewart as he only knew the actor in his later years, but with the help of Stewart, his wife Gloria, Henry Fonda and others he manages through their memories to tell the story of his whole life. The biography does tend to get bogged down at times with tales of Stewart romancing what seems like every leading lady in Hollywood. I did like reading about his lifelong friendship with Henry Fonda, and his time in the Air force during World war 2, it was interesting to know Its a wonderful life (arguably Stewarts best film) was his first film he made after the war and that it bombed at the box office. One little annoying thing was the author writing about his own personal opinion of Alfred Hitchcock, I didnt get this book to read about that! Besides that it is a very good read about an actor who is truly deserving of a biography, somebody who lived a full and wonderful life.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well balanced account of a great actor's life, 21 April 2010
P. Stoller (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews

Munn gives great insight into the workings of the old Hollywood system and provides asuitably nostalgic and weighted look at Stewarts life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Revealing and powerful, 26 Jan 2006
Brian Clegg "Brian Clegg" (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I'm one of that huge class of people who doesn't go out of their way to watch Jimmy Stewart when his movies turn up on the TV, but class him with Alec Guinness as the sort of special star that eclipses any of the modern box office draws.
I think this book gets the balance just right. The author is obviously very fond of Stewart, and sometimes you can see him almost fighting himself to put across some of the more negative aspects of Stewart's life and character, but that's admirable - it's much better than a biographer's views are clearly visible, rather than hidden away so we don't know how he or she is slanting the book.
I read a lot of biographies, and this was among the best of 2005. Excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars magic, 6 Oct 2010
Allan Broadfield (London, England) - See all my reviews
What an excellent book, I feel I know James Stewart pretty well now and also have a good insight into many other people in the film industry. This book covers all aspects of Stewart's character. I too have always thought that his general laid back ways were startlingly contrasted to his quite frightening fury when aroused, he certainly didn't play the same character in every film, as some people apparently seem to think.(Consider 'Harvey' and 'The Naked Spur' as two examples.)
The author certainly does his homework, and befriended Stewart, his wife Gloria and many others connected to the films. I have just started reading another of his works; 'John Wayne, the man behind the myth', and this seems to be equally absorbing.

4.0 out of 5 stars interesting read, 17 Mar 2013
Who'd have thought that JS had affairs with just about every contemporary starlet from Ginger Rodgers to Marlene Dietrich. Complete blow by blow account of his film career with his fallings out and (in retrospect) bizarre relationship with J.Edgar Hoover, interesting war record too.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very interesting book, 15 Feb 2013
I hsve not yet finished reading this, but I have a great interest in the film stars of the late 20th century and this book has plenty of anecdotes and titbits of information. I am enjoying it so far.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great actor, 10 May 2014
Roy Stewart "Scotty47" (England) - See all my reviews
Bought this book because I loved James Stewart as an actor. Not read it yet so only 3 stars so far.

Jimmy Stewart: The Truth Behind the Legend
Jimmy Stewart: The Truth Behind the Legend by Michael Munn (Hardcover - 21 Nov 2013)