Published 12 months ago by Karl Chama

2.0 out of 5 stars I found it painful to read this book
I found it painful to read this book. Extremely repetitive and it seems to treat the readers as dumb people. The main idea is completely basic and he just feeds the readers more and more stories to fill those pages. I read it by half and then put it away and I read everything through the end. Personally I found it a waste of money.
Published 1 month ago by Vercor10

5.0 out of 5 stars Hits you like a punch in the face from Mike Tyson! A life changing book!, 13 Jan. 2014
I have been a student of Personal Development for a while and I have read many books that talk about how 'this ancient secret will transform your life in an instant' or 'meditate on the things you want and supernaturally they appear'. These books do not give practical, tangible solutions and leave many readers frustrated with only the author 'growing rich and happy' at the readers literal expense.

This book however is a rarity and potentially one of the best books I have ever read.

Jeff Olson writes this book in a succinct, clear and down to Earth way. He's obviously a millionaire but what I particular like about this book is that he does not shove it down your throat ever 2 lines.

So what is The Slight Edge? The premise of the book is simple: There is an invisible force that is evoked with every single decision and action that we take, good or bad, big or small. This force is never in neutral so if we constantly make loads of good decisions daily, this will lead us to wealth, happiness and success in our lives or if we make loads of minor errors in our daily routines, given enough time, this will compound into financial meltdown, potentially poor health and general misery.

Common sense so far right? But not common practice! What Jeff Olson argues is that societies around the world have been bamboozled into thinking that success is this instantaneous, miraculous, mystical event that only happens to a select few lucky people but when you really take a closer a look at people whom are successful and stay successful, it's the many, many tiny disciplines that they have fostered in their daily routine that have compounded over time to get them to top and vice-versa for tragic failures.

Olson believes that the reason why many diets are abandoned, businesses fail, relationships gradually erode is that it's not that the actions are wrong i.e exercise and eat more vegetables but it's this insidious 'hollywood' belief of instant results/massive action that stops 'The Slight Edge' from kicking in. Olson believes in a more measured, manageable approach by developing the right belief systems and disciplines will over time get you the life you want.

This book is as much about giving you that philosophy as it is about giving you the action steps. What makes this book so great is it's simplicity - there are several 'aha' moments in the book and I found that it really challenged my belief system to why certain results keep appearing in my life. There are not many books I will read more than twice but this book, is definitely in my 'keep referring to' list. I have already seen some changes in my life following these deceivingly simple principles.

If you have the patience, the openness and the willingness to follow very simple and small positive disciplines then I believe this book may potentially change your life. It has mine.

Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Help you learning how to realize the dreams and not be someone who just dreams while life passes by, 15 Jun. 2014
"The Slight Edge" by Jeff Olson in 8th edition of his popular book again helps readers learning how to realize the dreams and not be someone who just dreams while life passes by.

He sees the solution in the introduction of his Slight Edge principle that can be applicable not only to our profession, but also marriage, relationships, friendship, love, almost anything in our lives.
What is most interesting about this book is that most things found inside are common sense, although it's often forgotten.

For example when he says "...The average person spends between 250 and 350 hours every year driving to and from this place and that. That's about forty minutes to an hour each and every day. If you spend that time listening to educational and self-improvement material, you'll have the equivalent of a Ph.D. on any subject you choose in just a few years. That's the Slight Edge...." or "...being productive and being busy and not necessarily the same thing. Doing things won't create your success; doing the right thing will..." reader has to agree with him.

Maybe some readers will be disappointed to realize that slight edge is not some complex principle, something difficult or unique of which you have never heard before.
Slight Edge is actually about the driving force in our life that pulls us closer or moves us away from our goals.

The difference between these two diametrically opposite sides is someone ability to accept this philosophy and advances, with small or large steps toward the goal.

Overall, Jeff Olson's work is very inspiring and motivating piece, well-written and easy to read, and due to all those reasons, a book that can be recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE How to do the 'How to do', 5 April 2014
This review is from: SLIGHT EDGE (Hardcover)
I gave this book 5 stars because quite simply it is BRILLIANT, probably in the top 3 books i have ever read along with 'Think & Grow Rich' & 'As a Man Thinketh' , i have read a lot of personal development books and i am a big believer in the power of the mind & setting yourself goals to achieve things in life, but many times i have fallen short often with great disappointment and not really understanding why, until now, too many times and in too many books its been about focusing on the 'end goal' which can often intimidate people and cause them to give up thinking i will never get there.
Where this book and Jeff Olson is massively different from my interpretation is, yes focus on the end goal BUT write out your PLAN TO ACHIEVE the goal and the PRICE YOU ARE WILLING TO PAY - what you are willing to do or give up doing that takes you away from what you want, THEN WORK YOUR PLAN ON A DAILY BASIS, focus solely on doing the little daily things that you need to do, simple things like reading 10 pages of a book each day, doing this you can read 10+ books a year and you will very often SMASH YOUR GOALS
This has had a profound and transformational effect on my life especially my health, i need to exercise 6 times a week due to work related muscle injuries and would often miss 1 or 2 sessions but in 2 months since reading this book i have not missed a single one and i am feeling the full benefit of this especially at 5:15am when the alarm goes off to get up for the gym, when i am struggling i just think as Jeff quotes " its easy to do and its easy not to do" and that's it i am up and at it as you will understand when you read this fantastic book, i have already given it to 2 people who love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Slight Edge, 19 Feb. 2014
This is the best personal development book that I have ever read; and I read it from cover to cover whilst completing one of the five daily habits of happiness - 30 minutes a day on the exercise bike.

5.0 out of 5 stars A life changing book, 12 Dec. 2013
Sheila Hallam (FLEMINGTON, NJ, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SLIGHT EDGE (Hardcover)
Sometimes a book comes along that has a profound affect on your life. This has been such a book for me. The book teaches us that the small disciplines that we do every day make no difference in a day or a week or a month but they make a huge difference over time. These are the little things that are so easy to do and also so easy not to do. The amazing thing is that this simple concept can be applied to all aspects of your life. Take the significant relationship in your life and try saying a few nice things every day instead of negative ones. What about weight loss - just 100 calories less than you need a day is hardly noticeable but over time the change is very real.
The book is written in a style that is easy to read. This 2013 version includes a chapter on the results of recent happiness research that "Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success." Combine the simple, easy to do, "Happy Habits" identified in the book with the "Slight Edge" concept and you have a great key to success in life. For this reason I would definitely recommend the new edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book to keep you motivated and on track to achieving your goals., 23 Feb. 2014
I loved this book! Was exactly what I needed to keep me motivated and focused in times of chaos and doubt in my life. Jeff Olsan starts the book with a series of stories, which after a while the reader understands are about perseverance, which is the main underlying theme of the book. Each chapter delves into ways that you can work on developing yourself into someone with the ability to consistently apply yourself to achieving your goals.

I found the book easy to read and engaging, to the point where I was reading it to and from work consistently. I also dip back into it occasionally when I need some inspiring words of encouragement. I would recommend for anyone who feels perhaps they've missed their chance on something they've wanted to do in life. Or someone embarking on a new change of life that needs encouragement.

5.0 out of 5 stars The slight edge by Jeff olson, 21 Feb. 2014
I found this book amazing I had to have real discipline once I picked it up as I found myself wanting to read more and did not want to put it down. This book has made me take a good luck at my life and made me realise that there is so much more that I can do. I've start thinking about the dreams I once had that have been lost for so long.
I am just starting on a new journey all because of Jeff thank you so much for sharing your insight it will change my life forever

4.0 out of 5 stars Great message but too repetitive, 19 July 2014
This review is from: SLIGHT EDGE (Hardcover)
Inspiring but painfully repetitive. Each chapter could be divided by four, as the author keeps repeating th exact same thing over and over again. A shame because the message is great, but this unnecessary repeating makes the book a little boring. I also felt like the statements of fans of the Slight Edge were not adding anything to the book. They do not really talk about how the slight edge helped them but merely say "i wasnt doing great in my job/life/relationships, but i started applying the slight edge and now im much more successful". This is just too superficial. They do not talk about the specific problems they had or how the slight edge actually helped them. Just that it did. It sounds like some poor promotion for a miracle solution on late night tv.

5.0 out of 5 stars I would give as a gift. MUST READ !, 27 Dec. 2014
This review is from: SLIGHT EDGE (Hardcover)
This book was so easy to read and had alot of important information!

At risk of repeating what everyone else will say here but this book should be read by every person in the world and I wouldn't think twice about giving it as a gift for a family member or friend. I managed to read it in 3 weeks with a busy lifestyle and not at one point did I get bored and annoyed by Olsons writing style.

The books philosophy is: by dedicating yourself to doing just a little bit towards your goal each day you can be sure your will make it! I have put it to practice and am already seeing results in my life.

5.0 out of 5 stars another level to anything else you have read, 14 Dec. 2014
A great book for anyone wanting to turn their aspirations into reality: a very practical self improvement book that tells you its not just having the big goals and plans that make success, its about the many daily little things that go to getting you there. It takes time, work, and focus....but above all doing all the things that are easy to skip 'just this once', but actually pretty easy to do as well. For once not 'how could you change your life' but how to get it done. An amazing, sensible, life changing book. The best book I ever read, and by some margin. Thanks Jeff Olson!

SLIGHT EDGE
SLIGHT EDGE by OLSON J (Hardcover - 31 Oct. 2013)