5.0 out of 5 stars SALLY'S STORY.........AND WE HAVE A MENAGE!!!
And so we visit the Shadowlands again and this time it's Sally's story. We have grown to love this sassy little madam over the series, she's been a major character throughout which is why I heartily recommend you read the others and in order.

Published 13 months ago by KITTEN

3.0 out of 5 stars Good - but not good enough
The latests book in the Shadowlands series is one of the most puzzling books I have ever read - mainly in my own reaction to it. I am not indecisive as a personality, have clear opinions about each and every book I have ever read. With this one, I am wavering. Why?

Published 13 months ago by Nicola

5.0 out of 5 stars SALLY'S STORY.........AND WE HAVE A MENAGE!!!, 5 Nov 2013

The story concludes the awful loose ends of the Harvest Association, it's been a terrible tale of people trafficking and violence against women and this has involved the Shadowlands members - some affected personally and horribly.

Sally is an unassuming cleverclogs. She is a very competent computer hacker studying technical forensics and sometimes works jobs for the local feds getting into locked systems. No one would think the little, bubbly submissive would also be playing a modern day Robin Hood tracing e-mails back to key players in the Harvest Association to help the feds when their trail runs cold.

Galen and Vance are federal agents and Shadowlands Masters and have had their eye on our Sally for some time, she's been away for a month as she took on a permanent Dom but now she's back. Her relationship with Frank became abusive and controlling, feeding into her poor self esteem issues from a unloving Father who blames Sally for her Mother's death. Sally isn't the same sparkling girl she was before her absence and the two feds are determined to get to the reason why. Frank pays Sally a visit and she is forced to stay with the feds at their home and this is where the fun starts..........

We hear from all the other characters and the epilogue rounds things up in a really heart warming way. SIGH.

Love all these books, I don't think I can choose one as my favourite as they are all different but I really, really liked Sally's story. As you would expect bdsm elements including d.p/anal/aural/bondage/mild sadism/spanking..........etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sally & the Feds, 7 Nov 2013
My house is a tip & I've only had 3 & a half hours sleep but I've just finished within 24hours of purchasing this book (not bad as I fitted my reading around a 2 and 5 year old - hence not a lot of sleep!)

What can I say - well to put it quite simply it was great.

I've always liked Sally but this book gave you her history and helped you understand why she is the way she is. I hurt with her when you saw why she had her insecurities and felt for her as she battled to try and overcome them.

I wasn't sure about Vance and Galen (the Feds!) in the previous books but Ms Sinclair brought them to life in If Only and they are now firmly one of my favourite menage MFM trios I've read. They worked so well together, and bounced off each other as only long term friends and partners can.

If Only is the first menage in the Shadowlands series and I wasn't sure how it would feel against the rest of the series (which I love but is MF only) but I shouldn't have worried as Cherise delivered as ever. It was also nice seeing how the other Masters and subs from the previous books are doing as they kept popping back up.

Finally I just wanted to say that I loved Cherise Sinclair's small hidden reference to another great series of menage books by Sophie Oak about a small little town called Bliss. If you liked the menage in this book and are looking for other similar reads check out that series (there are lots in the series though so make sure you look at the reading order on the Sophie Oak website!)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good - but not good enough, 20 Nov 2013

Well, first there are the good points - and they are truly good. True to her talent, Cherise Sinclair produces a story which is interesting, tension laden and deep. The sex is hot and engaging, sensuality just as important as sexuality. The characters are real without destroying our fantasies and emotionally engaging, without becoming saccharine or weak. And still I have an issue with each of these areas.

The Story

When looking at the Shadowlands series as a whole it is apparent that the tone of the stories has changed. It has become almost more conventional, possibly more sellable - but I, for one, am missing the depth lost through this.

In the first of the Shadowlands books (Club Shadowlands) the reader is introduced to the exclusive BDSM club "Shadowlands" through the eyes of a woman who lacks any prior experience with BDSM. The owner of the club, Master Z, is larger than life and hotter than hell. The story is about her path of discovery, but also his, as she takes the first steps into this world.

What makes this book, and the following ones, special is the depth, not only of the characters but of the relationships. The author has an incredible talent not to hurry, to give her descriptions, her scenes space to develop. A kiss is not just a kiss - it has an emotional, sensual, erotic and a sexual component; and she does not stint on any of these. This depth, this skill, makes this author different from so many other erotica pieces, though in form, if not content, harks back to the literature of a by-gone age.

Over the course of the Shadowland series, and the stories of other women and Masters, this concentration on relationship is joined by an external conflict, first through the introduction of an abusive husband, then through a conflict with an national slaving ring. This external conflict adds elements of tension and excitement more common to standard crime or thriller novels. For most of these books, the depth of relationships is preserved throughout the external conflict presented by the slavers.

"If only..." differs in that respect. It is the story of a well-known character, Sally, one of the experiences young members of the club. We have come to love her before as a bubbly young postgraduate student, though we are learning she has a deeper, less joyful side. It starts with this internal conflict, her unhappiness and feeling of being lost, which is addressed in her relationship with two FBI agents.

The problem with the book is it feels like an afterthought, an attempt to tie off loose ends and bring a series to a close. Neither the external conflict (the slavers) nor the internal conflict (her emotional state) developed enough on their own to hold together the story. In this discord between the two separate conflicts waring for dominance, the depth of relations is sadly lost.

The Characters

Sally uses her confidence and bubbliness to hide the deep scars her childhood has left in her, and the increasing insecurity she feels. We all know this, we all have done this before. Which might be one of the reasons why she is so real, so believable as a character.The problem is, the men are not. Realistically, they do not lack depth or charisma - together, but as individual characters they seem unfinished, incomplete.

In some ways this is an improvement as, over the last few books, the men had become more predominant and the women almost interchangeable. One of the strength in these books has always been the display of the wide range of possible relationships in the D/s sphere - but the last few books have been lacking in this. The women, even those previously established as preferring submission only in the bedroom, had become accepting of being cut out of decisions outside the bedroom. There was no difference anymore between those characters choosing deep, constant submission and those professing a preference for the lighter levels. This book redresses this imbalance - but somehow takes some depth, not power, away from the male side of the equation.

The Sex

Hot and sensual - but still somehow "less" than previous books. It is hard to write good threesomes as there seem to be always too many hands. Descriptions quickly become lists with too little space for sensations and emotional reactions - "If only..." falls into the same trap, at least in the beginning. The author's skill to make something erotic come to life in our brain is not given the space it needs.

One of the pleasures of reading Cherise Sinclair, at least for me, is that I do not have to cringe of be worried. She gives space to the realities, and safety measures, involved in certain play and she does so by making it part of the sensual play. I love that. It is a simple fact, if you play with fire you need to know how to do so safely, or you will get burned. Much erotica involving power play often ignored that side of the equation. "If only..." follows the example of the previous books.

Overall

Even after having written this review I am not sure if I like the book - but I am aware it is because I loved the other ones so much and this one pales in comparison. I still love Sally, though I believe her "Feds" could get a little more colour, a little more development. I love the relationship - but find the book would be better if there would be more space for this relationship. The external conflict, wrapping up the slavers, does not add to the book, it merely detracts and feels like an add on to bring a story to an end. A nod to the conventional perception of what a book should be, to needing an external conflict, to the need for a last crisis point. And through this, much of the depth regarding the sensuality, the internal conflict, the characters is lost.

So, what's the verdict? Would I tell my best friend to read this? No, though I would, and have, told her to read the first, and all the other books by this author. Though, it is not a bad book - it is not as good as the earlier ones and as a single, a separate, book it would leave the reader lost in the story. So, if you think about buying this book because you liked the other ones: go ahead, it will bring closure to many loose ends. If you do not know the other one? Go read the earlier ones first and then reconsider.

4.0 out of 5 stars Where was fun loving Sally? (book 8), 13 Jan 2014
I really wanted to give 5* but the build up over the last few books about Sally and her funny antics were virtually destroyed. This young girl had been the life and soul at Shadowlands. The mischief and brattyness was her trait but taking on the two Doms, the slavery ring, hacking into computers made her too serious.
The erotic scenes were still there and intense with Galen and Vance (Doms/fed agents) but this came across more about catching a killer.
There was the odd bit of mischief but it became overshadowed by the two Doms needing to dominate and Sally needing to grow up real fast.
Fancy another good bdsm series then I recommend
Emma's Education [Viper's Dungeon 1] (Siren Publishing Menage Everlasting)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Fantastic Shadowlands book, 10 Nov 2013
I was really looking forward to this book. I have enjoyed the other books in the series and really wanted Sally to be happy. I was not surprised when she ended up with the Feds and needed 2 doms to control her and bring her issues to the fore. I enjoyed the updates on the other doms and subs, and as with all Cherise's books it was nice that the characters are not 2 dimensional, but not perfect either. The sub story of Dan and Kari's issues since Zane was born was a good touch and made you think that Dom's don't always get is right.

I am looking forward to the next book which Cherise has mentioned on her web site. If you enjoy this type of genre then I would highly recommend this book. It is a stand alone book, but I would recommend that you read the books in order so that you have a better understanding of story and you will empathise more with the characters

4.0 out of 5 stars A Brat, 2 FBI Doms - a menage made in Heaven?, 7 Nov 2013
I have loved this whole series the way the characters mesh from one book to the next as well as the underlying story relating to "the Harvest Association".

Sally was a particular favourite of mine throughout, she's a bratty who hides her true feelings behind that brattiness until she meets the Feebs.

I have to say at times though I found this book a little hard going - the plot was great, the interaction between Sally and the Feebs was so funny at times I was laughing out loud and the s*x - well 2 Doms, 1 bratty sub - a menage made in heaven :) so I'm not actually sure why I found it hard going but I did. I think I probably need to read it again (something I often do) to get my head around all the twists and turns.

Anyway I'm sad to see the end of this series (if in fact it is the end)because I'm sure there must be at least 1 or 2 more books that could be written to tie up all the loose ends :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Each book left me feeling that the next book just could not get any better. If only was amazing, 28 Nov 2014
Mrs. A. R. Jeffery "Born to read" (Warwickshire UK) - See all my reviews
I have now read all the Masters of Shadowlands books by Cherise Sinclair. Each book left me feeling that the next book just could not get any better. If only was amazing! It made me laugh and cry scared me a little, definitely turned me on. By the time I began If Only, the Shadowlands masters and submissives kind of felt like family. The 'Feds' and Sally with all her mischievous pranks and computer savvy ways worked brilliantly.

Cherise seems to draw her readers into the BDSM parts of her stories because they are so skillfully blended with the almost old fashioned desire of the Doms and Mistresses of Shadowlands to really look after, both mentally and physically their submissives.

3.0 out of 5 stars I expected better, 29 Sep 2014
This is the novel in this series that I have enjoyed the least. It has an excellent story line and the characters are very well developed. The writing is good but I became bored with the long descriptions of the sexual activities. These sections were far too long with the actions being repetitive and for me became uninteresting, stopping the forward movement of the plot.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great read as usual by Cherise Sinclair, 24 Jun 2014
This review is from: If Only (Masters of the Shadowlands) (Paperback)
After reading all of the shadowlands available I couldn't wait for this one to arrive! One of Cherises's best I think.

5.0 out of 5 stars If only, 25 May 2014
I really loved this story,involving a women and two men,I couldn't, put the kindle down,as I was so lost in this romantic,sexy tingling story,love doms of dark haven stories,mmmmm.

If Only (Masters of the Shadowlands)
If Only (Masters of the Shadowlands) by Cherise Sinclair (Paperback - 30 Nov 2013)