4.0 out of 5 stars Stephen King-ish, 22 Sep 2011
Martin Loughlin (Belfast) - See all my reviews
Whilst I wouldn't be a great reader of Stephen King, I tried Carrie and gave up fairly quickly, I have watched the majority of the book to film tie-ins. If you are wondering what I'm rambling about then wonder no more. This is a good read and for me a nice change from the Zomb-lit and jack Reacher novels I would normaly stick to. I happened across this one after reading Keenes own zombie novels and was pleasntly surprised by what i had found.

Without giving too much away this is about old style witch craft and myths. Its about a group of friends desperatly trying to save their loved ones from a nasty(or not) fate. To say more might ruin the book and expose my lack or critiquing/spelling skills.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved It!, 3 Feb 2011
This review is from: Dark Hollow (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this novel. The characters and story were exciting and there were certain turns in the story which would be typically considered boring but the author somehow manages to spin them into something exciting and realistic - well as realistic as can be in the world created in the story.

Anyway great novel, funny, exciting, suspenseful...

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, 10 Mar 2009
marky77 (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
One day, while out walking his dog in the woods, mystery writer Adam Senft catches one of his neighbors performing oral sex on a granite statue of a creature that is half man and half animal. The statue somes to life during the sex act. This then leads to a series of women from the small town dissappearing at night and a creepy atmosphere surrounding the woods - in particular a hollow in the woods where a man was reported to have killed his family years ago - and sinister goings on there.

I enjoyed this book and found it an interesting and origional read. Plenty of suspence and character development so that you actually care about the characters when the real horror beings. One of Brian Keenes' better books.

4.0 out of 5 stars A traditional tale of horror with a modern-day punch, 11 Oct 2008
Captain EO "No. 7" (Cardiff, Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
Despite being a fan of horror novels, this was my first Brian Keene book and I'm pleased to say I found it hard to put down & will definitely purchase another of his novels.

The book pits members of an average American neighbourhood against forces of evil within a "haunted forest". Not exactly highly original stuff but a large part of the contents of this book hit the spot with me. I won't spoil the story but enjoyed the fact that the central "beast" of the book was exposed early on yet still managed to pack a meaty punch. Quite often, once the monster is revealed, a book (or film) suffers in so much that much of your imagination is stripped and much of the mystery is lost. With "Dark Hollow" I found myself gripped and fascinated by the fact that you knew what was causing such a commotion.

Whilst I thoroughly enjoyed the plot & overall story of this novel, I wasn't particularly impressed by Keene's style of writing. It's adequate for writing of this genre, but certainly not great & at times it felt as if I was reading a "Young-Adult" book. Much of the events in the book however are far from being aimed at anyone under the age of 18, more so extremely sexual rather than the level of gore. It pushes boundaries but didn't go too far like several horror novels I've read have done.

The other thing that I found incredibly frustrating was the over-the-top relationship that Keene's central character had with his dog. I fully appreciate that there are a large number of people who treat their mutts with more respect than humans but page-after-page of human / canine love grinds after a while and it set up quite a predictable part of the ending.

Negative aspects aside, I still really enjoyed Dark Hollow & with a little more originality & improvement in writing skills, I think Brian Keene could start challenging the likes of King & Laymon to get into the top tier of the genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars Creepy, creepy, creepy., 24 Feb 2014
Lots of suspense In this novel. Characters one can relate to and the action does not let up. I highly recommend this as a page-turning experience.

Didn't like his follow-up novel, though. Called Ghost Walk. Avoid that one!

4.0 out of 5 stars Up to the author's usual standard, 18 Feb 2008
B. D. Wilson (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
"Dark Hollow" is Brian Keene's latest novel, and it is up to the usual level of quality I would expect from the man. The story is gripping, the characters are easy to identify with, and Keene does the themes of friends sticking together and sacrifice as well as anyone.

Keene states that he thinks Dark Hollow is is best book to date. Personally, I still feel that "City of the Dead" is his best book, but this is certainly up there with his best. And for those of you who have been following the rest of his work, you will be rewarded by clear references to his over-arching "Labyrinth" mythos: the universe all his novels are set in, and which he plans to develop and bind all his books the way Stephen King used the Dark Tower to connect all his worlds.

The book also comes with a free extract from his next novel, "Ghost Walk", coming in August this year, which by the looks of it is a sequel to Dark Hollow. It's got me really looking forward to that, and Keene also promises that Ghost Walk will be the book where the Labyrinth is unveiled in full.

So overall, a very good horror novel, as I have come to expect from Brian Keene. It's exciting, fast-moving and great fun. It even had a bit of the feel of Graham Masterton to it. If you are a Keene fan (or a Masterton fan, for that matter), don't miss it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keene keeps getting better!, 27 May 2008
A. Carr (newcastle UK) - See all my reviews
Once again, a Brain Keene book that has got me hooked from the first sentence (you know if you have read it.) The book is so fast paced that you almost feel that you have been watching a film. The antithesis is truly terrifying and although much of the books ending can be predicted a while in advance it still delivers a thrilling ride. Be warned the book is very descriptive of both horror and sexual imagery and there is a lot of each but it never feels excessive or unnecessary. I look forward with a great deal of anticipation to the follow up due in August 2008 (Ghost Walk)

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this guy, 6 Aug 2008
Yep. He's done it again. Another book that will totally blow you out of your socks. I had heard a lot of people say that this was his best book and I was thinking that for me it would be hard to beat Dead Sea or Terminal however I thought it was easily as good as both. The charactors in the book are amazing and you grow to really love them and feel like you know them really well. The story line is extremley fast paced and its absolutley full of links to his Labyrinth mythos. If you like Keene you will absolutely love this book. If you have never tried him then this book is as good a place as any to start. Buy it now. There is absolutely no chance you will regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Un-put-downable!, 5 Sep 2010
S. Buchan "Magpie" (Consett) - See all my reviews
This is the second book I've read by Brian Keene (the first was Urban Gothic) & it took me 4 days to get through both of them as I just couldnt put them down. Brian keene has the ability to suck you in from page one & keep you there right through to the last page! This book filled me with dread at times, the thought of a evil mythical creature standing outside your window at night is creepy. Soon to be a movie too which I'm hugely excited about! Brilliant...next on my list..The Rising!

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written yarn, 24 Oct 2008
S. Holden (Darwen Lancs) - See all my reviews
Where to start?

This is my second book I read by Brian. I found that the story was well written and kept up a fast pace, which kept me turning the pages wondering what will happen next, until I finished the book.

The story is based around a group of friends that live in a tight knit community, who stick together when the women start disappearing, especially when two of the groups wives went missing by mysterious circumstances.

They piece together clues linking the disappearances to the local forest and the local myths of the murder of LeHorns wife, which set them off to get the women back.

If you like horror novels, you will love this book.

I'll certainly be reading his other books.

ARRAY(0xb61c9a08)

Dark Hollow
Dark Hollow by Brian Keene (Paperback - 4 Jun 2012)
7.95