5.0 out of 5 stars Most Unique Alien Book I've Ever Read
**I got a copy of this book from the Publisher in return for an honest review.

"I won't let ignorance murder the people I love."

Published 21 months ago by Miss K. Gore

3.0 out of 5 stars Gravity by Melissa West
ALIENS! Does anyone else love aliens?! Because I do. A hell of a lot. My love for aliens is what drove me to get this book in the first place, and that part of the novel definitely didn't disappoint. Unfortunately, I wasn't a fan of the main characters.

Ari, the main female protagonist, was kinda slow and kinda dumb. She didn't have that spark that I like to...
Published 19 months ago by Amber

5.0 out of 5 stars Most Unique Alien Book I've Ever Read, 5 Nov 2012
**I got a copy of this book from the Publisher in return for an honest review.

"I won't let ignorance murder the people I love."

Wow. I seriously have no words at all to explain just how amazing this book is. It completely took my breath away with it's serious awesome-ness. This is one of the first sci-fi/alien kind of books that I have read and loved. I have never actually had anything against Alien books I had read a couple and thought they were okay but I had never found one that I had thought was phenomenal until I read Obsidian by Jennifer L Armentrout. That series although sometimes labelled as Paranormal Romance rather than Sci-Fi, really opened my eyes to Alien books and when heard about Gravity I instantly couldn't wait to read it so I just have to say a massive thank you to Entangled Publishing for letting me review an ARC of this book.

Ari's world gives help to the Ancients, a alien species from another planet who need help. She has been brought up knowing only one rule. Don't. Ever. Peek. When Ari looses her patch she just had to break that rule and peek during The Taking. The last think she expects to see is Jackson Locke, popular guy from school, hovering over her bed. See Jackson is an Ancient sent to Earth with a mission and he needs Ari's help. Ari has a decision to make, go along with what she's always known and been taught or help Jackson and prevent a war. But is Ari's decision that simple when she starts falling for Jackson who is obviously hiding something. Will they both be able to survive this dangerous time for both their species and will they survive with their hearts in tact?

I absolutely adored this book. I expected to like it but I never ever imagined that it would blow me away quite as much as it did. Right from the prologue I was pulled into this dystopia-type world where an alien species interacts with the humans on earth. The storyline is just so fanscinating right from the beginning I was really curious as to see where the storyline would go and what was going to happen. I have to say I am a huge fan of Melissa West after reading Gravity. I think her writing style is superb and it had my hooked right from the first page right until the last. I found it extremely difficult to put the book down. One thing that I absolutely loved about this book is that you don't find out everything straight away so there is definitely an air of mystery to the book as you have to keep reading to find out what the world is like and what has happened to make the world like it is. I adored that and Melissa's writing is riveting. I just loved it.

Ari is without a doubt one of my all time favourite heroine's. I just love her. She is such a strong kick-ass character. She goes through so much in this book and I loved seeing her go through all the confusion of whether she should believe her family and everything she has ever known or Jackson yet she still stays strong no matter what. I do love a good main character who can kick guys ass and this is definitely Ari. She is awesome and I felt like she grew a lot throughout the course of the book and I am dying to see how she acts and what she gets up to in book 2. She is such an incredible character and I don't think there's anyone who could dislike her because to me she is just utter awesomeness.

Jackson... now where can we start with Jackson. I liked him all the way through the book but man does that boy have some mood swings. Seriously his moon swings were giving me whiplash! He is worse than a 13-year-old girl going through puberty! I liked him a lot and I realised that he had a lot on his shoulders so I could 'get' why he acted the way he did but he was hot one minute and cold the next that at times I wanted to reach into the book and give him a slap just to knock some sense into him. By the end of the book I love him. I'm not head-over-heels in love with him but I kind of like that. I love that the romance took a back-seat to the main story and I truly believe that there'll be plenty of time in the second book for my to fall head-over-heels in love with him. I love books where the romance is slower, there's no insta-love or anything like that it's slowly developing and I loved that the main storyline was more important to the romance.

This was an absolute amazing debut novel and I cannot believe that Melissa can write that well with it being her debut novel. It was incredible. The storyline is phenomenal and completely unique and creative. I just couldn't put it down right from the start. It is one of the most original Alien stories I have read and there is nothing quite like Gravity. Not only is the storyline and Melissa's storytelling amazing but the characters are phenomenal too. You can totally relate to them and I loved reading about all of them, not only Ari and Jackson but Lawrence and Gretchen too. I just love them all. It's such an increidible book and whether you like Sci-Fi books or not it is NOT to be missed.

It would completely and utterly be a crime to miss out on this phenomenal book. It is incredible and it totally blew me away and took my breath away. Gravity is filled to the brim with heart-pounding action where you will be sat on the edge of your seat with bated breath freaking out over what on earth is going to happen next. I cannot wait to read book 2 in The Taking Series. No doubt it is going to be EPIC. This is a must-read and without a doubt one of the best books on 2012.
Phenomenal!

"Another time I would have called them cowards, but I was ignorant then, not understanding that way is about a lot more than courage. It's about what's right, separate from expectations or orders."

4.0 out of 5 stars going in blind, 25 April 2014
This review is from: Gravity (The Taking) (Paperback)
This was a random buy, I didn't know anything about this book before reading it, except that it was about aliens. Honestly, I just thought that it was such unique and interesting story.l I really enjoyed it and I will probably read the next book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Struggled, 28 Feb 2014
J Juckes "Hades2" (, UK) - See all my reviews
Many thanks to Netgalley and the Publisher for my review copy, this is in exchange for an honest review.

This one started off really exciting but somewhere just after quarter of the way through I stared to disconnect with the characters. Past that point it went off the boil really quickly, which is a real shame as it had such promise. I feel so gutted actually. I was really looking forward to getting my teeth into this one.

The synopsis sounded just up my street, ticked all the boxed. But sadly I won't be carrying on with this series as I barely struggled to finish the first book. And that is not a good sign. I normally find that book one wows me and book two has a hard time following up. But I'm not going to even go there. It took me such a long time to will myself to get through this first book.

I'm afraid I didn't really like the main character Ari and I failed to connect with her.

Sorry Melissa West I didn't like this book.

Overview
Very disappointed and even more so as it was about aliens, and I love aliens!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 29 Jan 2014
Now that's what I call a great read! This was not only pacey and wonderfully intertwined, it had romance and a great story that kept me guessing right to the end. Totally recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Aoife O', 4 Sep 2013
Impatiently waiting for the second book, I can't wait! I was caught up in this book from the first page and could not put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprising, 31 Aug 2013
Not normally a fan of stories about aliens or science fiction but so glad I decided to try this book was pleasantly surprised! The story is fast paced and grips u from start to finish couldn't put it down. Cannot wait for the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sci-fi/Dystopian, 30 Aug 2013
(Source: Purchased on kindle from Amazon.co.uk)
17-year-old Ari lives in a dystopian society, where every night aliens come to every human's bedroom and suck antibodies from them.
Ari is in training to be the next engineer commander after her father, but doesn't expect to find herself in the middle of yet another war - the aliens claim they're peaceful and want to coexist, but the government wants to get rid of them anyway.
Can humans and aliens coexist? Can Ari be what her parents want her to be? And is she falling for the alien that comes to her room every night?

This was a brilliant sci-fi dystopian, and I really liked it.

Ari was a girl whose parent's had always expected a lot of her, and had been training her since she was tiny, grooming her to become the next Engineer Commander. She trained constantly, and always did what she was told. I liked how when the situation called for it she did what she needed to do, and went against everything that she had ever been taught, because she trusted her gut to know what was really right, even if it wasn't what her parents would want her to do.

I liked the storyline in this book. It wasn't exactly what I was expecting, which was good because it had some really unique ideas. I thought the whole thing about the aliens needing antibodies was very interesting, and I liked how the author managed to mix real-life science with the science of the aliens.
I liked the tension in this book, and I liked how there was both action and romance. The story had good pace and flowed really well, and although there were a couple of points that were maybe a little shaky I was able to look past these because I was enjoying the story so much.
I thought the ending was pretty good, and I'm really looking forward to the next book in this series!
Overall; brilliant sci-fi dystopian story.
9 out of 10.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 22 Aug 2013
I cannot not wait for the next book. This story is so exciting and non stop. I struggled to put it down at times.

4.0 out of 5 stars Big on action, low on romance, 19 Aug 2013
This review is from: Gravity (The Taking) (Paperback)
They say you shouldn't judge a book by its cover. Bollocks! A brilliant cover can make you pick up a book you otherwise might've ignored. I am superficial - the art first attracted me to Melissa West's Taking series. Look at them! Seriously some of the most beautiful photos out there. Admittedly the scene from GRAVITY's cover doesn't occur in the novel, but the image is so awesome that I'll accept any reason to show it off.

The Taking itself (after which the series is named) is pretty darn creepy. Ancients can't survive on Earth without some sort of antibodies that they can only get from humans. So each Ancient is assigned a human. At midnight, the humans don a "patch", which is a mask that suctions to the face, covering the eyes, so the human can't see their Ancient. From the trees, the Ancients emerge, climb in through bedroom windows, and "Take" from their humans. Okay, I'm somewhat fuzzy on the details, because I find the whole concept of Taking rather scary and perhaps a bit rapey.

Another thing I'm foggy on: the Ancients themselves. They're supposedly really distinguishable by their golden skin and blue-green eyes. But if they're easily recognisable as Ancient, how come people don't seem to have cottoned on that [name redacted] is Ancient? I need a closer read or a better explanation.

"The Australian Trinity has since been dissolved, thanks to the last leader being unable to have children to continue the legacy of the founding Australian leader. That region is now controlled by the African Trinity." What, they couldn't hold an election? Why does there have to be nepotism? Also, it's more likely that we'd be controlled by Asia. Think of soccer - we're in the Asian group. This is just nitpicking on my account, though - this probably won't bother non-Australian readers.

GRAVITY is my favourite kind of sci-fi - it's set on Earth. Albeit, I've heard Book 2, HOVER is set elsewhere, but I still plan to give it a go. Melissa West's debut is big on action, low on romance (but still present), and abounds in science and technology that I'd love to learn more about. I've never read anything from Entangled Publishing before, but if GRAVITY is any example, they must be doing well. I'm definitely looking forward to reading more by Melissa West.

5.0 out of 5 stars GreAt read, 28 July 2013
Loved the story and kept me reading. I would highly recommend this book to read. Praying there is a followup?!

Gravity (The Taking)
Gravity (The Taking) by Melissa West (Paperback - 30 Oct 2012)
6.99