5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing read!
Oh, holy alien babies everywhere......this book is AMAZING!

I'm running out of ways to tell you how amazing this author's work really is because Onyx really does not disappoint. It's thrilling, heart-pounding and just as explosive as Obsidian - if not even better and it will leave you wanting more and more!

Onyx starts pretty much where Obsidian...
Published on 14 Aug. 2012 by Book Passion for Life

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun read
Obsidian - book one - already provided adequate proof that author's writing as addictive. There are certain niggles I simply can't be bothered to harp on about, because these books have become my guilty pleasure!

Published on 4 Jan. 2013 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing read!, 14 Aug. 2012
Book Passion for Life (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Onyx (Lux Novel) (Paperback)
Oh, holy alien babies everywhere......this book is AMAZING!

Onyx starts pretty much where Obsidian finishes. Katy is trying to move on with her life but it's hard when she has Daemon Black trying to win her over at every turn. Katy is convinced that Daemon is only interested in her because of the connection they now share, so when new boy Blake turns up - showing his interest in Katy, she is happy with the attention she is getting from him but, can she really forget her feelings for Daemon?

Not only does Katy have to deal with boy drama but she also has to deal with the consequences from Daemon healing her and they are truly life changing for her. Struggling to deal, Katy tries to solve things on her own but is she only making things worse? And can she really protect the ones she loves?

Yes, it's safe to say I have fallen in love with another book by this author and she really does know how deliver a fantastic storyline that keeps you sitting on the edge of seat from excitement. It's action packed all the way through, with enough descriptions to make you really feel like your with the characters and this book is seriously HOT! The temperature goes up a whole new level and the scenes between Daemon and Katy do not disappointment.

The characters this time around grow so much. Katy becomes a lot stronger, even though she is still her funny and witty self, the changes that happen to her force her to become someone stronger. She trains hard and really tried her best to become Daemon's equal. Even though they aren't the perfect couple, Daemon really tries his hardest to win Katy over. You see a side of him that you have never seen before and it will seriously leave you girls wishing you had you're very own Daemon Black. He's even more swoon-worthy and totally steals the show.

All in all, Onyx is a fantastic sequel and the author has done a fantastic job by adding the right amount of excitement, romance and suspense to the story, and of course I can't forget to mention one VERY shocking part of the story that will leave you breathless. Jennifer has definitely raised the bar for Opal which will be released in December 2012 and I seriously cannot wait.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun read, 4 Jan. 2013

The romance is sizzling, and while I'm usually not one for overblown romance, this one steals my attention because it's wonderfully balanced with a ton of action. Admittedly, there are elements of the plot that made me think 'surely 'x' character could so easily have done 'y' in order to prevent 'z'... but then of course there would be no story, so I put my critique hat away, settled myself back in my chair and simply enjoyed the ride.

In this book, the main character, Katy, is finally together with Daemon...well not really, but sort of, because he's no longer pushing her away, but are his feelings real or did they develop overnight due to the strange bond they now share? Katy doesn't want to be wanted accidentally, cue her pushing him away and an extra bit of tension when Blake, a new and mysterious boy, enters the scene.

Love triangle aside, Katy sees someone who ought to be dead...sparking hope and also bringing about the realization that the DOD has been lying to the Luxen community.

In book one, we discovered Obsidian can help the Luxen fight the Arum, and in this book we discover how the properties of Onyx affect Luxen's...as someone who likes onyx I was most annoyed by the actions of one of my favourite semi-precious gems! ;-)

Overall: A mix of sci-fi, rom-com and action-adventure, mean that Onyx is - like the first book - a page-turner.

Favourite quote: "It had insta-love, the bane of my existence. Girl sees boy and falls in love. Immediately. Soul mate, breath stealing, toes curling, love after one conversation. Boy pushes girl away for some paranormal reason or another. Girl still loves boy. Boy finally admits love."
― Jennifer L. Armentrout, Onyx

I think the author has a wonderful tongue in cheek style...let's see girl falls for great looks of guy instantly, but put off by his bad behaviour which is due to paranormal reason... :)

4.0 out of 5 stars A great follow up., 20 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Onyx (Lux Novel) (Paperback)
You know what I love about Onyx? You know how sometimes when a series starts out really well, with a toe-curling, grin-inducing, squee-worthy budding romance that you're all jumpy-up-and-down excited about? But then the sequel comes, and for some reason or other (probably to eek out as many books for the series as possible) they often make the hero just... go away for a bit. Maybe by having the couple have a big bust up fight or something. And then he'll be absent for most of the book and your heroine will be moping about.... Which is okay, I guess, if you want to go down that route, but it's always a bit of a let down after all the build up in the first book.

But oh ho ho ho nooo. Not in this case, my old sausage. This was so jam-packed full of Daemon Black I don't think he could have possibly been in it more if he tried! And my, my did he make good use of his page time. *grin*

If you want to know who to thank for the inordinate amount of Daemon worshipping we were allowed to do in this book, her name is Liz Pelletier, the editor, who demanded more of him (who wouldn't?) be put in. G'head and put her on your Christmas list.

I can't be bothered going over the plot in my review--and let's face it, I think I've told you all you really needed to know about it--but I'll just say that it was better and more elaborate than the first. Katy was a bit too indecisive and hypocritical at times, even when Daemon was trying really hard to be nice, but she's still a great protagonist and I still think she rocks. And he had a lot to make up for, I suppose...

Now why the heck did I read them so far before Opal comes out I ask you? WHY?

4 Stars ★★★★

5.0 out of 5 stars "If there is anything, there is us. You and me. No one else.", 23 Sept. 2012
I need more Daemon and Katy like I need air. This is not an exaggeration... I have read many books in my life and almost all of them include some form of love interest but I have honestly never read a series of books where the two main characters are so electric together. Again, this is not an exaggeration.

The story picks up exactly where Obsidian left off, which I love. It annoys me when a series jumps months or years between books. Daemon is still the same hot and moody alien that we fell in love with in Obsidian. Katy is still the same book loving book blogger who is torn in her feelings for Daemon, but really who is she trying to fool? Dee was still her quirky, fun self and I still love her. There is also an introduction of a new character, Blake. He is the new guy at school and it doesn't take long for him to start getting closer to Katy and for him to reveal that he has a lot more in common with her than she knows. Much to Daemon's protests they start to spend a lot more time together. Blake and Daemon's interactions are hilarious. Daemon can not stand the guy and he refuses to call him by his proper name. Here are a few of the names that Daemon calls him...

Flake, Biff, Bart, Hank, Brad, Butler, Ben, Bobo, Bartholomew, Butter-Face, Bradley and Bill

And that is not even all of them, this was just the list I started making after the whole thing was cracking me up. Daemon was so matter of fact about the names. He just slides them into the conversation and never skips a beat. It drove Blake insane, it made me laugh... many times!

As many times as I smiled and laughed there are also plenty of intense and even sad moments. Jennifer has such a beautiful way of writing and you really are sucked into the story. You are there with them while the events are unfolding. You are yelling at the book, you are smiling, you are crying. If you are out in public people will think you are crazy. One moment you will have a smile that is so far stretched across your face they will think you have just won the lottery. Then within minutes they will see your smile fade and will hear you mumbling to yourself as you try to speak to the characters. Then a small smirk will appear on your face as the scene ends and you know that very soon you will be experiencing all of those emotions again. It is a wonderful feeling.

There was so much action in this book. Everything was up, down and all around. There were so many times when I thought "Man, that has to be the big finale right?!" Only to be so very happy to see what % I was on and to find further chapters awaiting me. Then another big scene would come and I would think the same thing only to find I again still had more to read. I can not explain how much I did not want this book to end. Sadly it did, however... WOW what an ending!! I cried. I am not ashamed to say this, I cried and it was well justified. December 11th can not come soon enough for me. I will do everything within my power to try to get my hands on an advanced copy of Opal but if I can't I have already booked the release day off from work so that I can stay at home to do nothing but read it.

I can not recommend the Lux series more than I already have in my reviews. I have forced three of my friends to start reading them and I have no doubt they will love them as much as I do. So please if this type of story sounds even a tiny bit intriguing to you, do not hesitate to read them. You will not be disappointed.

Christine
Rainy Day Reads
[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars INTENSE SEQUEL, 24 Oct. 2012
Reader (The south) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Onyx (Lux Novel) (Paperback)
In this edition the follow-up to Obsidian: Lux Series, Book 1 (A Lux Novel), the plot thickens. Daemon and Katy continue to star at the heart of this story. Daemon is still the sexy and moody alien. While Katy though she feels deeply for Daemon, still tries to keep him at arms length. There is a new character introduced in this in the form of a new boy at school. Blake makes his interest in Katy obvious, much to Daemon's annoyance. I thought it was funny the way Daemon never got Blake's name right, calling him by a variety of others, such as Flake, Biff, Boff, and so it went on.

The memory of Dawson and Bethany lingers, and is a constant reminder of the danger for a Lux to become involved with a human.
Though there are dramatic moments here, there are some really fun ones as well. Overall I think that this is probably even better than "Obsidian" IMO. It has a far more detailed and interesting plot. Can hardly wait for the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved Onyx more than Obsidian!, 8 Nov. 2014
I loved Onyx more than Obsidian! Containing action scenes and mystery, I did not expect to see some of the scenes at the end. I am not a fan of the covers though, they are rather cheesy and awkward, but I do love the purple colour they have used!

Daemon and Katy are connected through Daemon's alien powers, making Katy a target for The Department of Defence. They have never known about their alien powers, until now. But not only must Katy run from them, she is also chasing them as she tries to find someone they all thought was dead, but is actually very much alive.

Katy was again brilliant in this novel. She continued to stand her ground and did not let others manipulate her opinions or decisions. She still had a guilty conscience which was a nice addition as a lot of female protagonists in YA novel, when in fights, just think about how they look and never think whether they should have really killed them. I also loved how her blogging was still kept in the novel; the 'In My Mailbox' scene was hilarious! I also really enjoyed how the romance did not take over the novel. Which leads us onto to Daemon… exactly the same thoughts as in the first novel: hot, snarky but loving.

The plot of this novel with a certain character was predictable, we all knew it! However, the ending was not what I expected at all, it all happened so fast but somewhat logically; even though it was a little rushed, it worked and there was no hanging around. There was also numerous amounts of action and fighting scenes that kept you on your toes, and shouting: "Don't go in there!". Alongside this, Armentrout showed no mercy to the characters.

This was certainly my favourite so far in the Lux series as it dod not hang around, was straight to the point with action and mystery. THAT ENDING!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars JLA has done it again!, 13 July 2014
This review is from: Onyx (Lux Novel) (Paperback)
OK so I have come out of my very emotional state to write this review. I swear by the time this series is over I am going to be left huddled in a corner somewhere trying to come to terms with all these emotions that I am feeling.

I LOVE anything written by Jennifer. Anything she has written, I want to read, no matter what it's about. She is just an amazing author.
So onto Onyx. Well. There is so much to say about this book. Ok so first lets talk about the plot. There is no shortage of action here as we are taken on one crazy ride. There were so many twist and turns that you were lucky if were able to hold on for the whole ride. We are introduced to some new characters and you are left wondering if some of them are friend or foe. What we learn about the DOD and in turn about Katy's connection with Daemon will have you clutching the pages to find out how it's all gonna end. There were so any times where I was left stuck between wanting to throw the book across the room or to put it in the freezer. Near the end I didn't want to continue because I was scared to find out of how it would end. Either way I was left an emotional wreck with my heart breaking and my cheeks wet with tears of sadness. How could you do this to me Jennifer?? Why would you do something like that?? (People who have read the book will probably know what I'm referring to).

Now on to Katy. I love this girl, I really do. Mainly cause she's a blogger and has as big an obsession with books as I do. But I also love her spunk and fiestyness. But my god there were so many times during Onyx that I wanted to slap her! I just wanted to scream at her "No! Are you crazy?! Don't do that!" Throughout most of the book she keeps going back and forth between telling Daemon how she really feels and saying that he is only interested in her because of the connection. Em HELLO?!? A hot alien is bringing you roses in class and would do anything to protect you and you're debating whether to give in to your feelings? Are you insane?! If I was Katy I would have given in the second Daemon started to show any interest in me. As Daemon would say "Resistance is futile." Also, some of the situations she got herself into could have easily been avoided if she just used her head. For instance, don't get into a car with someone that you don't fully trust or that you think is trying to kill you. Pretty please. It would save us all a lot of of heartache.

And so that brings me on to our favourite alien, my future husband (What? A girl can dream can't she? :P). We get a lot more Daemon action in Onyx, and be warned ladies, your husbands/boyfriends might feel a bit neglected and get a bit jealous while you read this book because it is HOT! There is no shortage of steamy action involving a certain Mr. Black. He is back in all his muscled glory with a sarcastic mouth to rival even my own! :P He is funnier than ever, so do not read in public unless you want people looking at you like you have lost your mind. No seriously. But we also get to see the sweet and caring side to him which just made me fall even more in love with him. Katy really doesn't know how lucky she is. If you ever get tired of her Daemon, I am always here for you ;)

There will be plenty of tears to shed so have the tissues at the ready and be prepared to go on one crazy journey that will leave you begging for more. And after that ending, you will definitely want more. But I'm almost afraid to read Opal now because I know more tears are going to be shed and I don't think my heart can take anymore. So excuse me while I go rock in a corner somewhere, praying that Opal will not leave me a blubbering mess.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely incredible!, 22 Jan. 2014
Jo (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Onyx (Lux Novel) (Paperback)
As I said in my review of Obsidian, I bought this book when I was not far from the end of the previous book, so I could dive right in when I was done. And dive I did. I have to say, Onyx is probably better than the last.

Starting a few days after Obsidian ends, Daemon has had a change of heart when it comes to Kat. He has decided he doesn't hate her, but wants to be with her. Kat isn't convinced what he feels is real, putting it down to the strange connection that was formed between them when he healed her. She fights his every attempt, and fights her own feelings, but Daemon won't be put off. Kat can't stay away from him though; with the strange connection came uncontrollable abilities, and she's moving things without thought.

Then Blake arrives at school and causes friction, sparking jealousy in Daemon when he shows an interest in Kat. But Blake is aware of her new abilities and can explain what's been happening. His help becomes paramount when people from the Department of Defense arrive and start poking their nose into things. She needs to be able to control her powers, so as not to draw the DOD's attention. To keep everyone safe.

But not everyone is safe. Because Kat has seen someone who is supposed to be dead. Being alive is scary news for them all. People have been lying, and danger is creeping nearer.

Oh my god, I love this series! Daemon can be a bit of an idiot, but for the most part, he's really trying in Onyx. He's finally succumbed to his feelings for Kat, and wants to be with her, but she simply doesn't believe it's real. He tries so hard to convince her, but she's so stubborn and just won't listen. Despite the few times control slips and they end up in each other's arms. Oh yes, the heat gets hotter! With the arrival of Blake, tension rises. Daemon doesn't trust him, and it's more than just jealousy. Seeing him so protective of Kat is just the most awesome thing; it's so sweet, and it's so obvious how he feels for her is genuine. He's like an avenging angel, exuding anger, on the edge of immense violence. It's perfect!

The action in this book is cranked right up. There are several times in this book when lives are at risk, and I can't count the number of times I was sitting on the edge of my seat, thinking, "ohmygodohmygodohmygod!" This is not a series where everyone is automatically safe, just because they're one of the predominant characters. Things go seriously bad in more than one occasion, and it hits you like a fist in the gut. It's fast paced and exhilarating. And yet, very emotional.

This is a very emotional book, and all emotions are heightened, because the danger is so real. It's not that people could potentially die, but if certain people find out about secrets that should stay hidden, then people will die. It won't be just the romance and the sexual tension that will keep you gripped, but the thriller aspect. You really don't know what's going to happen. The DOD are not predictable. Right along with the other characters, your fear, your hope, your sadness are all desperate. There are moments that are absolutely heartbreaking, and I was so full of overwhelming shock and anguish. And then there was the end, where adrenaline was running through me as I was reading the last few pages, unable to read fast enough, but so freaking scared and excited about what was to come. It was huge. There was so many huge moments in this book. And no-one, literally no-one is safe - you can't take it for granted that those you love will be there at the end of the series.

An absolutely incredible book! I am absolutely itching to get my hands on the third book and carry on with this story. Armentrout has definitely found herself a huge fan in me, and I am desperate to read everything she writes!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sequel, as fun as the first., 2 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Onyx (Lux Novel) (Paperback)
I am loving the Lux series and thought this was a pretty good sequel, but have to admit to not liking it as much as Obsidian. The plot didn't run so smoothly for me and I felt a lot of the sexual tension that made the first book so amazing was absent for most of the second half of this book.

Katy and Daemon are still great characters. They keep me flipping the page till ridiculous-0'clock in the morning just so I can see what happens between them. So it's kind of unfortunate that the sexual tension/amazing passion between them seems to disappear for so long in the second half of this book. But, on the super positive plus side, Daemon is less of a dick in this one. YAY! Gah, I kind of love that boy.

The storyline was something I enjoyed but also had issues with. It seemed to just plod along in places and I got a little bored. The introduction of Blake, a guy who seems to know a lot about what has been happening to Katy since Daemon healed her, was something that worked really well. He helps her train and was great for the story because it was so fun to see Daemon get all jealous. However, I felt there were way too many chapters that had Katy and Daemon arguing over her training with Blake, I got super bored of it super quickly.

This one didn't remind me of Twilight at all, but did have some obvious references - referring to Dee, who is so incredibly Alice, as a pixie at one point, and the whole irrevocably in love thing. Made me think the author was doing it on purpose and it made me smile!

This one had a really action-packed, exciting ending that had me flipping the pages so fast my fingers hurt. I was left kind of devastated as well, because the ending was really sad and really shocked me. If you enjoyed Obsidian than I definitely recommend this. It's a solid sequel, yes I was bored in parts but I love these characters and the story picks up again at the end.

3.99/5

I gave Obsidian 4, but I enjoyed this less and felt I needed to score it lower.... not that much lower though!

For more reviews and giveaways, please check out my book review blog [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Hot romance and awesome action, 21 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Onyx (Lux Novel) (Paperback)
Imagine all the gushing sounds on the planet and that's basically what I am right now. I'm just one puddle of goo, and don't roll your eyes at me, that's so opposite to how I usually am. This series is just plain amazing. While I personally don't think it was as great as Obsidian, it was still amazing. This series is turning out to be one of my absolute all time favorites. This book seriously just had me trembling, giggling, squealing and I don't do that. I just don't.

Let me get this out of the way, the reason why I'm giving a book that I absolutely loved 4.5 stars is because the book itself wasn't flawless. There were just some things that frustrated me a bit. I felt like the STORY improved immensely compared to Obsidian. It pretty much blew my mind. The romance was just as hot. But some sections just felt like they were dragging a bit, I dunno. It's just not the "5 stars amazing awesome omg wow" feeling, now that I'm done, but maybe that's because I'm just really sad it's over and now I have to wait for the next one. And, let's face it, it's a guilty pleasure book, it's not going to be perfect.

I still think the reason this series has so captured my heart is three main things: the super awesome, relatable Katy, the amazingly hot and UNF Daemon, and their awesome, witty banter, love-hate relationship. It's such a great formula. Maybe my reluctance to give the book five stars is because I was frantically motioning "NOW KISS" all through the book and sometimes they just wouldn't listen to me, haahaha. But seriously though, I love Katy. Such a perfect main character. And pretty much every emotion, every thought she has I've had in the past. I see so much of myself in her it's ridiculous.

The story this time was surprisingly good and it really sucked me in. I can't wait to see how it turns out next.

You know, I'm really tired. I stayed up until 2 am last night reading this and had to wake up early today for a meeting. Somewhere this week I have to start seriously studying for exams next week. I might just leave this review for some more expansion another time.

Recommended for: it's a tough one... I would like to say everyone, but I think it's more dependent on the kind of person you are.

Onyx (Lux Novel)
Onyx (Lux Novel) by Jennifer L. Armentrout (Paperback - 14 Aug. 2012)