1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 13 Mar 2014
S J Buck (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Oscar Peterson: Tracks (Paperback)
This is a book of sheet music, that gives you the a complete transcription of the Oscar Peterson solo Piano album 'Tracks'. The album is one of my all time favourites and as an amateur Pianist myself I've long been after the transcriptions of the 10 tracks on the album.

My particular favourite and the one that I have wanted to see written out is "Give Me the Simple Life". This starts in locked hands mode (as invented by Milt Buckner) and is a striking arrangement. The humorously titled "A Little Jazz Exercise" is also a gem. There are also some lovely ballad arrangements which show a side of Oscar Peterson that is frequently forgotten about.

You will need to a good reader and have good technique, or be prepared to practice these endlessly to make them sound the way they do when Oscar Peterson plays them. I'd certainly recommend getting a copy of the album. In classical terms 9 out of 10 of these pieces are around grade 8 standard. In a number of cases I think they are well beyond grade 8. The lovely version of "A Child Is Born" is the only exception, which might be around grade 6 or more likely grade 7. Still you wouldn't buy a book of Oscar Peterson sheet music and expect anything else.

Good luck!

Oscar Peterson: Tracks
Oscar Peterson: Tracks by Tim Rodier (Paperback - Oct 2013)