on 23 January 2013
I'm not sure who would find a use for this book (or should I say booklet). It gives you information about the various electronic drums available - something you can do by searching on Google by typing in something like "electronic drum kit reviews".

The CD, very boringly, plays the individual sound/tone of drums for various kits which might be useful before buying but you would be far better off visiting a music shop and asking for a quick demo. The CD also includes some simple groove samples.

There is a section on separate components and setting up, including connections etc. (I found the manual included with my electronic drum kit much more useful).

Also included is a chapter on percussion pads(i.e. one unit/box as opposed to individual pads set up like tradition drums).

In case you are thinking about combining traditional drums and electronic drums you are in luck because a chapter is devoted to this!

There are absolutely no drum playing tutorials in this book, but to be fair the book doesn't claim to provided this (there is very little information generally about the book to find out about its contents before purchasing). I purchased this book on the assumption that a "Beginner's Guide to Electronic Drums / An Introduction to Electronic Drums and Percussion" would include some help on playing electronic drums, but sadly this book is nothing to do with beginners learning to play drums. This was my mistake - I should not make assumptions and should have done more research before buying this book. I bought it because (with the limited searches I did) it was the only 'beginners' book I could find on drums that included the words "electronic drums"

For me this book is about as useful as a chocolate teapot! I gave it one star only because I couldn't enter 'zero stars'!

Apologies to the producers of this book if I've misinterpreted its intended use, but I felt I should write this review to help others who might be under the same assumption as me. I think it would be helpful if it could be made clear when marketing this book that it is a beginners guide to electronic drum hardware only. It might be of use before buying a kit if you don't want to research the subject on the internet or visit some music shops.
on 12 October 2014
Not really the books fault I brought it for a 9 year old as I thought it was more about the technicalities and learning rhythms rather than the different equipment you can get!