5.0 out of 5 stars Very Helpful and Inspiring

Published 19 months ago by handstands

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Helpful and Inspiring, 6 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Knit to Flatter (Paperback)
I am very new to knitting, but am already hitting the frustrations of knitting something that looks great on paper or in the pattern photo but then is somewhat disappointing in reality. It seemed there should be a way of making something that fit well given it was being created from scratch. This book explains the process very well and includes some lovely patterns to try. It was nice to see the models as normal size people rather than super-slim models wearing a tiny size. I have every intention not only of knitting many of the items from the book, but also using the info to make modifications to other patterns - wish me luck!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a useful book!, 7 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Knit to Flatter (Paperback)
Amy Herzog is a lovely girl who just makes everything so clear. You can discover what your body shape is and then knit things that will actually flatter your figure! I had bought this online video course from Craftsy and wanted the patterns to go with it.
In the book you get all this how-to as well, and a great selection of modern patterns to suit all body types. I am knitting one at the moment, and the instructions are nice and clear. I have another one from this book lined up for the next project too.
Best of all, Amy shows you how to modify patterns before you knit them so that the garment will sit right on you.
If you have jumpers in your wardrobe you've made but don't wear, I've done some surgery on a couple of older jumpers I didn't really like, following Amy's shape guidance and now I do love them (see Carol Feller's Sweater Surgery on Craftsy for help in altering completed garments).

5.0 out of 5 stars Super useful book, 10 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Knit to Flatter (Paperback)
Good selection of patterns, several flappy cards ~ great for me as I love a flappy cardi.

Talks about adding short rows for shaping and a section to identify your shape and think about what will suit you.
Good buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 12 May 2013
This review is from: Knit to Flatter (Paperback)
I like Amy's patterns, and often read her 'fit to flatter' pages when she had them online. I am not surprised that she took those sections down, as a book using them makes perfect sense. Whilst not all the patterns here appeal to me, and one in particular is poorly photographed (it looks a very poor fit on the model), they provide very useful starting points for adapting to your own design. The 'fit to flatter' notes are very thorough and easy to follow. I have finished one jumper so far which was straightforward to knit, looks good and hopefully will be worn a lot. Very well worth the money, give it a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 27 April 2013
L. Wood - See all my reviews
This review is from: Knit to Flatter (Paperback)
I've often knitted jumpers that I've liked as patterns only to be disappointed that they don't suit me and they end up stuck in a drawer! This book gives a great insight on knitting jumpers that really fit! Amy Herzog works on the principle of body shape, not your body size, and the lovely patterns in this book are grouped in "body shape" sections with hints and tips on how to make sure you get a perfect fit.

All in all a really great book, and if you need further help Amy Herzog has a group on Ravelry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Knit to Flatter, 25 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Knit to Flatter (Paperback)
Excellent book, very interesting the way different shapes affect the way we look at bodies. I would wholeheartly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 21 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Knit to Flatter (Paperback)
I purchased this book after following the blog and craftsy page. I was not disappointed. The book is well written and laid out, enabling you to read the whole thing or just to pick out what s relevant to your shape. Followed by some good patterns with tips on how to adjust the patterns to suit your personal shape and size.
This book has changed the way I think about knitting and my approach to patterns, I will use it loads and would highly recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars NGL, the patterns aren't my style but the information is good, 12 Oct. 2013
handstands "jazzypom" (united kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Knit to Flatter (Paperback)
Amy Herzog came to internet fame with her series of online posts called 'knit to flatter'. With these posts, she went into the issues of body types, and how to make your knitting flatter you. For instance, if you had broad shoulders you wouldn't necessarily wish do a raglan and a flat chest can take on cables and other interesting stitches. The information online is now available in this handy tome- and the advice alone is worth the read through of this book.

Unfortunately, the patterns aren't my style, but I appreciate the fact that Herzog explains the reasoning behind the patterns, because it's made me more aware what I need to be knitting for me in order for it to flatter. The yarns are American, yes, but most of them are alpaca or merino/silk blends and can be easily duplicated on these shores.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply great fit advice, 20 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Knit to Flatter (Paperback)
I'm giving this five stars because Amy Herzog's advice about fit have been a revelation. This book took me from first measurements, through choosing the best size for my particular shape, and then through the modifications I needed to make to her basic patterns to get the best fit. Result: the first sweater I have ever made that actually fitted! I had resigned my knitting to making non-fit items like blankets, cowls and hats. Now I've expanded my repertoire to jumpers and cardies with new confidence. Amy's tips and advice are very clearly put - and with the minimum amount of maths.
Have to say that the designs in the book are not the most inspirational that you might desire, but they are designed to be easily modified and, as such, are a good starting point for a book about fit. Then the fun starts as you move on to use these concepts on other projects.

5.0 out of 5 stars Knit to flatter, 14 Dec. 2014
As a knitter with an ample bosom I have struggled for years to create garments that truly fit me. They end up either hanging off my shoulders or straining across my chest. This book is a revelation!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Knit to Flatter
Knit to Flatter by Amy Herzog (Paperback - 2 April 2013)