5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 July 2014
This review is from: Gradle in Action (Paperback)
One of the most competent handbook of all "In action" series.
Both intuitive and comprehensive examples.

4.0 out of 5 stars Full of useful information. A little slow to get going., 24 April 2014
R J Fieldsend (Cambridge, Cambs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gradle in Action (Paperback)
I am not a full time programmer. I dabble a bit in a range of languages, so I come across various build tools and systems. I have to admit the fact that managing Java builds was such a pain 'by hand' is one of the reasons that I haven't used it much as my language of choice.

This book sets out to persuade you that Gradle is the answer to your build manager prayers. It does this initially by discussing the other 'big boys' on the block (Ant and Maven). It spends what feels like a long time talking about the shortcomings of Ant and Maven. As I have recently encountered a project that is managed by Maven I felt the pain!

Eventually, having determined what build managers should do by highlighting the others failings, the book gets to Gradle, and gives a good guide on how to go about working with this system.

As I say, I don't have anything that needs managing with Gradle right now, but I know I will have a book that 'has my back' when it comes time to use Gradle in anger.

Gradle in Action
Gradle in Action by Benjamin Muschko (Paperback - 9 Mar 2014)