5.0 out of 5 stars great book, nice explanations

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars
Not well organised
Published 14 days ago by Hussam A Ghoneam

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, nice explanations, 23 Aug 2013
This review is from: OCA Java SE 7 Programmer I Certification Guide: Prepare for the 1ZO-803 exam (Paperback)
I've finished going through this book - not taken the exam just yet, but I think it will be OK after a bit of revision! The exam, although on the surface it appears to be only testing the very basics of java, is very thorough and tries to trick you at every opportunity. I've only been doing java for a few months, but thought I knew all about Strings and ArrayLists etc - well I didn't, there were plenty of things that this book taught me that I'd never use in real coding, but can be tested on the exam, and I simply wouldn't have known what the outcome of the code in some of the questions would have been.
It contains plenty of examples, a lot of diagrams (some more helpful than others, but they at least help to break up the text), and sample questions (including a full mock exam).
I'd recommend getting this even if you've been coding for ages as it will help inform you about what is on the exam, and make sure that you're 100% ready for it before paying the £200 to take it! Anyone can use a String - but do you know EXACTLY what the outcome will be when doing unusual things to them, and can you pick the right option from a list of 8 very similar outcomes??

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 22 April 2013
Exam preparation with this book was a breeze for me. It's an interesting read. I also scored well on my real exam.

When I started writing the real exam, I was pleasantly surprised to note the similarity in the format of the answer options in the real exam and the mock exam given at the end of this book (chapter 8). Both use radio buttons for questions with only one correct answer and check boxes for multiple correct answers. Also, both - the real exam and the mock exam at the end of this book, displayed the exact number of correct options for an exam question.

Asymmetrical multi-dimensional arrays have often been a cause of head-aches for me. I simply loved the way they have been handled by using simple images in this book. The pictorial representations of asymmetrical multi-dimensional arrays enabled me to determine the contents of any given array position. Woohoo!

I admit that I never had a look at any Java source code file before I read this book and I felt enlightened after reading the source code of the String class, as suggested in the book. At the first instance, the code in the String class didn't make much sense to me. All I liked was the fact that it was written in Java itself! On re-reading the class, it started making sense. It made me realize that a String is not a magical class - it is an ordinary class with some very well defined methods. I was amazed to notice that it uses an array of 'char' to store its data, which is declared as a 'final' variable. This 'discovery' helped me immensely with an issue at my workplace also. I could get to the 'root' of an issue by digging into the source code of a Java class - the solution was to extend the class and overriding the offending method! My peers applauded me for this! :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book!, 26 Jun 2014
Was looking for some material to prepare for Oracle Programmer 1 exam. After reading some reviews took my chances with this book. I have just barely cover a few first chapters (as I'm still on fairly early stages of studying Java) but so far I'm very pleased. The book covers loads of material in a clear, consistent way. Aside code examples, the book consists of flowcharts, diagrams and even comic conversation to help to digest some of the material.
Would Recommend !
Ps Amazon as always delivered the book promptly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good., 23 Feb 2014
R. Brennan (Dublin, Ireland.) - See all my reviews
If you're doing the Oracle SE7 exam then I suggest going through this book from cover to cover as part of your preparation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to follow and well laid out. Appears to be covering everything required for OCAJP, 4 Feb 2014
Easy to follow and well laid out and I'm enjoying going through it.
Appears to be covering everything required for OCAJP.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book providing lots of detail in all the things ..., 15 Oct 2014
A great book providing lots of detail in all the things you need for the exam.
Good examples with realistic practice questions in each topic.
I combined this with the enthuware practice exams and scored quite highly on the actual exam.

4.0 out of 5 stars good, 22 Oct 2014
Good book, gives a lot of hints. You should try to pass some other mock exams, but this book is a good start.

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars, 9 Oct 2014
Not well organised

5.0 out of 5 stars Good!, 20 Nov 2013
It's a good book to have the OCA Java SE 7 Programmer I Certification. Yo can get a digital version for free!

OCA Java SE 7 Programmer I Certification Guide: Prepare for the 1ZO-803 exam